“Great for people who tolerate mold.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn

You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Comfort Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6700 Ringgold Rd (A), Chattanooga, TN 37412 (Formerly Clarion Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #48 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
Kennesaw, GA
“Great for people who tolerate mold.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I stayed here, quite frankly, because there was no other hotel to choose from. FIrst problem was no internet. No biggie. 2nd was no remote control, no biggie. When you entered the bathroom, the first thing that hit you was the overwhelming, pungent odor of mold. If you looked behind the toilet, mold on the drywall. If you look up over the toilet, more mold. I looked in the shower and 2 things immediately out of place. First, no shower head. It as like taking a shower with a garden hose. Second, there was a large, cut out hole above the shower head. You could see the concrete frame of the building, and no telling what else was up there. So, after that, I used the toilet, and tried to flush, no flushing. I had to gather water in my ice bucket to flush it. It was ridiculous that I paid the rate I did for my room (between 85-90 a night) and I would rather stay in my work truck than have to stay at this hotel again. At least at a truck stop you can get a good shower.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 243.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Covington, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband, myself and our three daughters stayed here while on a mini vacation. I like the location and the room was pretty nice. I had read previous reviews stating the hotel was under renovation, and was a little leary, but all in all it was a good stay. The only thing that bothered me was the elevators. It was hot in there and the doors opened before the thing even got stopped! Other than that, it was great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I've been staying here about every three or four months for the last year or so, and have seen the progress the new owners are making with the place. It started life as a Howard Johnson's Hotel, but after a couple of decades it had become badly run down. Lots of deferred maintenance and wear and tear combined to make the place pretty grim.

The new owners have spent a lot of money, I'd estimate somewhere around a million, to renovate and improve, and it shows, particularly if you stay here more than once. I've stayed here maybe a half-dozen times, and I will definitely return.

After talking with one of the owners, I learned that they are paying for the renovations without borrowing, so they are doing things a little at a time rather than all at once as a single project.

It cost $38 for two of us to stay this past weekend. Last week in Charlotte I paid $150+ to stay in a Hilton, at corporate rates. This isn't a Hilton, but then again, it doesn't cost $150 per night.

Point made?

If you want value for your money, you cannot beat this motel. If you want five-star accomodations, go elsewhere. If you expect five-star accomodations for $38 a night, die and go to heaven 'cause you won't find them on Earth.

The pool is crystal clear and very clean. The breakfast is substantial and the staff in the breakfast room are very friendly. The little sports bar is friendly and reasonably priced. The exercise room is fully equipped. The rooms vary from okay to new. Some of the ice machines work, some don't. The maid service is iffy and the maids speak Hindi. There's plenty of parking. The motel is about 1/4-mile off Interstate 75 at Exit 1, but traffic is rarely significant. There are a dozen great restaurants within a 10-minute drive: Provino's, Portofino's, and Sticky Fingers, to name a few. The Tennessee Aquarium is 20 minutes away.

And the price is a bargain.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Hotel just finished a complete renovation-which it needed. Staff vey nice. Good location.

Good value for the money

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Niagara Falls, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed here for two nights while visiting in Tennessee. Luckily we got one of the cleaner rooms. To be fair to the owners, it seems as though they may be trying to clean this place up a bit, but they may be doing it one room at a time. I don't know what the answer is but when you take an old hotel that has been smoked in for years and years the smoke smell is somehow imbedded into those walls and the smell is horrible. Even though it looked like fresh paint. There are 'longer term' tenants living here and I got the impression that they were "hard to house" people, so we took our laptop and valuables with us every time we left the room. Surprisingly they have a lovely breakfast room with fresh waffles, biscuits and gravy, toast and other breakfast items. Unfortunately you have to go down a long, dirty, smelly hall and outside to get to this room. Look out for the woman that manages the breakfast. She was nasty!!! Very rude! We are two very respectful seniors, but almost got barked at every time we asked a question. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, nor would I go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Trust the most recent reviews on this slummy rathole. Once you get past the front desk, It is run-down and dingy. I had an item stolen from my room and when I spoke to the manager, he said "what do you wnat me to do, acuse my housekeeps of steeling? I'm not going to do that". Security is non-existant, the locks on the outside doors have been disabled, so ANYONE can enter the building from any outside door. Without a doubt, the worst hotel experiene I have EVER had. Save yourself the headache...stay under a bridge before you stay here!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

This hotel looked like it has not been updated in a long while, and it appeared that even basic maintenance is ignored. In the hallways, wallpaper was peeling off the walls and the carpet was stained and dirty. In the room, nothing appears to have been vacuumed for weeks, except for the basic walking area through the room. When we moved the chair and ottoman for a roll-away, we found food crumbs, dust, candy wrappers, a pen, and a woman's wedding ring. A look at the nooks and crannies around the nightstand and beds revealed half-eaten candy, a used tissue, and more crumbs and dust.

The "complimentary breakfast" was offerred in the "restaurant". The restaurant area was in a total state of disarray, with the appearance that a refurbishment project had been started, but then abandoned. The breakfast offerings were unappealing and possibly unsanitary, and included wholesale-club-sized boxes of dry cereal, and a large, well-used tub of spreadable margarine for buttering toast.

The only bright spots of the stay was that the girl that checked us in was very pleasant and helpful, and that a roll-away was delivered to our room immediately upon request.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!