“Old, dirty, decrepit” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
Kerrville, Texas
“Old, dirty, decrepit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Promised 3 connecting rooms, verified on several confirming phone calls. On checking in, 2 of three were "dirty" and they "don't do connecting rooms". Relative down the hall had a connecting room, but apparently someone else was given the connecting room. Finally in a room, it was old, stained, peeling paint, and furniture decrepit. Don't plan on trying to work out problems, desk staff cannot make decisions, and referred to staff that do not answer calls. Save your time and money, Motel 6 would be better. A sad note to an otherwise happy time of a family wedding.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
Milton, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We recently stayed at the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel as part of a dog show. The Hotel was incredibly accommodating to our group, which was a national breed specialty with people and their dogs coming from all over the country. I also want to add that the staff is the epitome of southern style hospitality. They could not be nicer. Both the hotel gift store and the little unique gift store that I believe is privately owned, but also on the premises, had charming things. I found an older bear stein and a book with maps covering the history of the Mississippi River for my husband's birthday there and thought the stores were charming and interesting. The history represented by the site is remarkable and very interesting as well. A visit to the Choo Choo is very interesting and worth it while in Chattanooga; however, visit the Choo Choo, but stay somewhere else. We did not stay in the train car accommodations so I cannot speak to those and while we were there it was clear they were in the throngs of a much needed renovation to their other rooms. The rooms were tolerable given the circumstances, but it is clear the bathroom floors are not (ever?) washed, the walls had not been washed down in a long time (there was dripping gooey stuff in places that I tried to remove, then gave up), and the beds were horrible to sleep on. The carpet seemed somewhat new, but was not very clean. I must note that when we were checking out of our room there was a company coming through and washing the carpets in the rooms that had dogs, it just does not appear that there is much cleaning of the carpets, other than a quick vacuum, any other time. What I find completely unacceptable in this day and age is to charge $100 per night for a room (plus a $50 non-refundable dog fee) in an city where much cleaner and nicer rooms are available for less money (even no pet deposit) and then have the temerity to charge an additional $10.00 (OK, $9.95) for a breakfast bar that doesn't even include a beverage (coffee was $3.00 additional)! I was appalled. Were it not for the convenience of staying at the show site, I would have turned on my heels after seeing our room and checked out. We did not dine at the Hotel, so I cannot speak to the quality of the food and beverage service, but $9.95 for a breakfast without a beverage is way too much. I will not stay at this property in the future. The price paid was way too much for the value.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, yesterday
Thanks for taking my call today. Your room has been inspected. I am pleased that you will come back and visit.
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Before I get to the bad, let me say this: I think it's amazing that this piece of history has been preserved. The train station is beautiful, and seeing all of the historic trains on the property was a treat. Definitely come here and look around - it's free to do so!

If you stay here, know that there are two parts to the hotel. In the front, there are historic coach cars, still on the rails, that have been converted to rooms. We didn't stay in one of these, so I can't speak for those.

Then, behind the train station and all of the coach cars, sit 3 buildings that are the "hotel". These appear to have been added around 1970 and nothing much has changed since. It's about the quality I would expect from Motel 6. Although that isn't really fair since I've never stayed at Motel 6 and Motel 6 may be much nicer than this place. There isn't anything historic about these rooms. They smell awful, have rotting wood, and lack modern upgrades, or any upgrades at all.

Somehow, this hotel garnered an official 3-star hotel rating. I think if they were to separate the back portion of the hotel from the front, the back would land at about 1.5 stars. And, at $140, it is way overpriced. If you can score a room for half that and you just need a place to stay, I wouldn't discourage you. But, I imagine almost any 2 star hotel in Chattanooga is better than this.

They are undergoing a major renovation right now. But, I doubt that renovation includes tearing town these quirky old buildings and replacing them with something different. Either way, stay away at least until the reno is complete.

I hate piling on complaints, but the front desk staff got under my skin. I arrived here around noon with my wife and two young children. We were hoping to get an early check-in so we could change clothes and go do something fun. There was only one person working the front desk and they were fairly busy. I stood in line for about 20 minutes. The employee told us our room wasn't ready, but he would put us on the waiting list for early check-in. So, we made ourselves comfortable in the lobby. We waited for about an hour while at least 20 people who did not have reservations came in and immediately got a room, while everyone who had a reservation was given the same line about getting on the early check-in list. I finally realized that we were waiting around for something that wasn't going to happen, so I went to complain that we had waited and watched as he gave out dozens of keys. So, they "changed" us to another room and let us check in before 3. The entire stay was just a pain in the butt. I think this place would do much better as a museum.

Room Tip: Stay in a train car but avoid the regular hotel rooms.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thanks for calling me from my TA email. I am pleased that you will come back and visit.
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Anybody can stay in a hotel room, but for about the same price Chattanooga Choo Choo allows you to stay in a real train car. The room was clean, and it was roomier than I had anticipated. The bathroom is tiny, but it's only a small inconvenience.

The hotel offers several packages for area attractions.

Stayed September 2014
Thanks for your “unique” review and I am pleased you enjoyed your visit. We hear that a lot from our customers. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed staying in one of our signature rooms, the train cars. They are very popular and run a high occupancy.
All the Best
Springville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My Wife and I Were Very Please With This Hotel. Rooms Very Clean And The Staff Of Hotel Was Very Frendly. We Will Stay Again At This Hotel. We Were Here In April 2015. There Was Lots Of Things Too Do Once You Got To This Hotel. George & Liudmyla Seidenfaden

Room Tip: All Rooms Would Be Ok.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thanks for your 5 star review and your comment” “Very Very Good Hotel”. We love to hear that you will return, that says it all.
Cooperstown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Even if you're not a rail fan or in love with old restored railroad stations you can still love the Choo Chho. But if you're a rail fan like me, there are few better places to stay than the Choo Choo. You've got the restored Southern RR station to walk around in, good food and you can sleep in Pullman cars that they have converted into bedrooms -- two to a coach with full bath in each half.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Thanks “Rail Fan” for your 5 star review. Thanks for your great comments about your l visit. Reviews like yours help us keep a high CSI score with TA.
Grand Junction, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place was so disappointing. We stayed in building #3. It's outdated - which is fine with me as long as it's clean, but it was not. The floor of every hallway, entry and elevator was littered with particles/ small pieces of litter. We had a king room with a pullout sofa for the kids. Once the sofa was pulled out, I looked on the floor underneath and found hair pins, gum/candy wrappers, some chocolate candy, and a beer cap. They really shouldn't have!! The room was decently clean other than that. I've stayed in much cheaper places that were pristine compared to this place. When we checked in, the front desk staff was very friendly. They let me know that the outdoor pool was a little chilly but would be open until 11:00 pm and there also was a hot tub we could use. Walking to our room was quite an eye opener. When you first enter the building, there's a key card gadget that doesn't work so anyone can just walk in. The elevator was filthy and scary. It felt like we might get stuck or it was going to short out. The elevator floor was really soft in spots which was very unsettling. The building itself had "interesting" outdoor cement walkways. Each room had a balcony complete with 2 cheap plastic bonfire chairs. After dealing with the initial shock and disappointment once we arrived at our room, I thought I would try to make the best of things and go relax in the hot tub while the kids played in the pool. The pool was closed. The hot tub was not quite lukewarm. I went back to the room, called the front desk, asked them to turn up the temp on that hot tub. I checked an hour later and the temp was the same. In the meantime, I drove the kids over to building #1 to swim in the indoor heated pool. That was fine thank goodness. To summarize: Price is way too high, buildings are creepy and not very clean, rooms are okay but won't pass a white glove test, amenities are spotty, front desk is super friendly ( probably to compensate for everything else). Other reviewers said to try it after their renovations are complete, however; if they don't clean it now, how can you expect them to clean it after it's renovated. For me - that's a deal breaker!! Stay at the La Quinta down the road (free breakfast included).

Stayed April 2015
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, yesterday
I am sorry for the problems that you had during your stay. Although we are going through renovations and that does present some challenges, there is no excuse for your room not being properly prepared. The elevator is brand new ($130,000) and the company is here this week to make necessary adjustments, which should have been done upon installation. I am glad to hear that the front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. We hope that you will give us another try. I feel assured your next visit will be much better.
Regards,
Jill Coker
QA

Been to Chattanooga Choo Choo? Share your experiences!