“Chattanooga No No” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
Spring Hill, Tennessee
“Chattanooga No No”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We thought it would be a novelty to pay the extra money to stay in one of the coach cars. The car was OK but I think we won over the conventional hotel rooms. The regular hotel parts looks like it was straight out of 1973. Our car was fine, AC worked well but the rest of the bathroom must have been original 1970-ish. The bed was comfortable and the lighting was good. The carpet though was filthy, not just a cleaning but a replacement.
For breakfast, we ate in the main restaurant. The service was not very good. They seemed pretty unorganized. Overall, not a very value. On the plus side, it was right next to free public transportation. When you stay at the Choo, you get to park for free for the day.

• Stayed September 2013
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I’m sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I have been here for 12 years, and we have renovated every guest room (363) at this hotel. That includes bathrooms , which are gutted and totally redone. Our CSI index with Tripadvisor for the last quarter has been in the 84 percentile. I’ll email you via tripadvisor, I would be happy to speak with you about your visit.
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Jasper, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I took my two grandsons (ages 8 and 10) to the Chattanooga Choo Choo for an overnight trip to the area. I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in one of the train cars. They are old, but we knew that. The air conditioning worked great, the car was clean, lots of channels on the TV, and each boy had his own bed (day bed and trundle bed). They loved it. We went to the beautiful indoor heated pool for a night swim before bed. Absolutely wonderful. If you can go with an open mind, not expect luxury, and just let kids be kids, this is the place for you. You can ride the shuttle almost everywhere -- Free!!

Room Tip: I think the train car is the way to go. Might not work for a large family, but worked great for us.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GREAT Place is what we love to hear. Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments. Grandkids love it here.. It’s amazing how many Grandparents travel with their grandkids. We look forward to your return.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

From the moment I walked into the lobby I was greeted by three cheerful and very helpful front desk clerks. Check in and check out were simple and painless and done with a sincere Thank You each time. We were there for a week with an antique car group and even tho the Victorian Lounge did not open until 5 PM the bartender set up early and served us with a smile. My room was huge, comfortable and overlooked the pool. The golf cart shuttles came at a moment's notice and scooted anyone anywhere on the property. Service in the Gardens restaurant was top notch. A definite MUST STAY when coming to Chattanooga!

Room Tip: Building three is quiet and beautifully furnished
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thanks for your kind comments about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. The car show was awesome.
Thanks for your recommendation.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Hotel reception area was excellent. Grounds with trains very impressive. Stayed in the main hotel, rooms were very tired and walls were quite thin. Rooms need refurbishing badly. Very disappointing after looking around the grounds with all the historic trains on display.

Room Tip: Possibly stay in one of the carriages not the main hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your positive impressions about your recent stay at our hotel. As for tired, annually we spend 1.5 to 3 million dollars to maintain the complex. A recent project was repairing our “butterfly sheds” in the Formal Gardens (3500 lineal ft.) which cost over $50,000. The sheds are where people waited to board the trains back in the day. Our Tripadvisor Customer Satisfaction Index is 85% for September.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We took a quick weekend trip from Atlanta. We stayed in one of the Victorian railcars and loved the experience.This property also had a standard hotel but the railcars were great. It is right next to a free downtown shuttle that ran to the riverfront area which has great restaurants, the Aquarium, a riverwalk and art museum. We were able to leave the car and access all the attractions, making it quite convenient. I would highly recommend this property when in Chattanooga.

Room Tip: Railcars are large and roomy for couples.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so glad you had a great “train car stay”. Thank you for recommending us. Come back soon.
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We got the room via a sale and thought "How bad can it be?"

The Good: The hotel lobby is the old train terminal and is very nice. Check in was pretty quick. It also seems that there is always a sale price so if you can stomach it, you can stay there cheap.

The Bad: The lobby is not the actual hotel. There are several off buildings that make up the compound that is the Chattannooga Choo Choo. There are several train cars that you can stay in as well. We stayed in one of the buildings, so maybe the train cars are better.

We get to our building and the door to the building is broken in such a way that the key entry is useless. There is an interesting hole in the wall where a wall airconditioner used to be and they removed it and sort of tried to cover it up. First impression is that there is a smell and the carpet in the hall is filthy. Not just in need of a quick clean, but needed a deep clean since the 1980's. Get on the elevator and it honest to goodness scrapes as it goes up and down. This became a running joke/adventure with everyone staying there. There is stuff (food?) splattered on the doors and walls of the elevator that had obviously been there long enough to get dirt in it. We tried taking the stairs, but must have been the first people in decades in the stairs. Spider webs had taken it over and there was an actual layer of filth that had settled. Get off the elevator and there is the same filty carpet in that hall too.

We go to the room and turn on the light. It sizzles. Lamp doesn't work at all. The air conditioner has a smell and there are stains on the chair that I didn't want to identify. We should have left, but it was late. The tile in the bathroom was clearly the wrong color and the grout had not been cleaned in years. When I got home, my wife and I took a shower to get the Choo Choo's shower off of us.

I also noticed a general lack of up-keep. They have nice gas torches at night. Only problem is that several didn't work. The trains need work and almost everything they have as a decoration was old. Along the walkway, there was a pool of water and it was not raining. It was obviously coming from a pipe underground. There was a trellis outside our building which was completely broken. From our room, we could see how rotted the lower roof was on the buliding.

And one last thing about the service, the grounds are big enough that they have golf carts to take people around. I did not need that service, but I noticed that several people, including myself were unloading luggage within a few feet of the golf cart people, but they were too busy talking to offer a hand. What are they there for?

I personally think that the building they put us in is beyond saving. It would need to be torn down and start over.

Spend a little more. Do not stay at this trap.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for your impressions. I regret we did not meet your expectations. I wish you had let us know about the issues while you were here, so we could resolve them for you and your stay would have been more comfortable. It always amazes me that a guest does not contact management about an issue. Instead, the guest leaves and decides to write a review, who wins, nobody. I am a 30 year hotelier and have traveled a lot. If I stay in a hotel and I’m not happy, I let management know. Normally, it is rectified right away. That is our philosophy. We make mistakes; however we make great recoveries!! I will email you via tripadvisor.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed on Sept. 16. I wanted so much to love everything about this hotel but the best things were the main lobby (gorgeous & opulent), the wonderful shower in our room and the food at the Garden Restaurant (delicious & reasonable prices). We also loved the Railroad Museum on the second floor, well worth seeing. The room itself was not great, no fridge or micro, carpet not real clean & nobody to monitor what was going on since their only office was in the lobby, not in any of the 3 hotels behind that building. Unfortunately, we stayed during a pug dog national show or whatever it was - - dogs were everywhere inside & outside of the hotel!!! And, to make things worse, very loud & rude people were at the pool (hotel 3) until closing time. I doubt they were swimming since the water was like ice. Since we needed to get to bed by 9pm, we had to listen to this for a long time & it was impossible to sleep with the yelling & partying going on. Then, we had dogs barking in the room next to ours on the 3rd floor. We asked about dogs when we arrived & were told that dogs were usually on the 1st floor. Having animal allergies, I thought all would be ok but between the barking & the partying, it was honestly the worst night we have ever had at a hotel. We tried to call the front desk twice for other questions before this all happened but only had an answering machine & nobody ever called back!! I would strongly suggest visiting the complex & eating there but I would never stay at the hotel again. Perhaps the train cars were better since they are farther away from the pools & dogs but we could not check them out. The outdoor garden area & water fountains were beautiful, the large deco lamps & chandeliers inside were exquisite, lattice work in the restaurant was extremely pretty & the trains were interesting. I hope my review does not deter people from going there - - maybe we were just there at the wrong time. I'm still glad we went & got to see all that they offered in the way of history, beauty & great food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed many of the aspects of our complex. . I apologize for the situation that occurred. I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Heads, so that they can take corrective action. We take your comments very seriously and it is our opportunity to improve our product and service. Someone should have called you back.. I will reach out to you via tripadvisor. Please call or email me.

GM

Been to Chattanooga Choo Choo? Share your experiences!