“Pleasure trip to Chattanooga” 4 of 5 stars

Chattanooga Choo Choo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Market Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402-4489   |
Ranked #49 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
Springfield, Tennessee
“Pleasure trip to Chattanooga”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Most friendly staff. We enjoy the Victorian Lounge and the Station House Restaurant. The Security Guards do a great job of watching your vehicle (we usually travel by motorcycle).Rooms are a great size and clean. Even the housekeeping staff stop and speak to you.

Room Tip: Rooms are very nice and clean. Our grandchildren love staying in the Victorian Train Cars or a room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thanks for your awesome review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. Please come back with the grandchildren.

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel with a group of friends. The check-in staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel was great. I travel extensively for work and have averaged spending 120 nights per year in hotels over the past four years. This hotel is fantastic for the price and I will stay here again upon future visits to the city.

There is easy access to all the downtown sites with the electric bus station right next door.

• Stayed June 2013
Great hotel is awesome to hear. Thank you for your fantastic review. It’s a great compliment from a seasoned traveler like you. Pleas look me up next time at the Choo Choo. We look forward to your return in the near future.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

First let me start by saying that I am from the Chattanooga area. My husband is in the military and after coming back from Korea for 3 years, we decided to take some leave in Chattanooga and see our family. The only reason we stayed at the Choo Choo to begin with was because used the secret hotel rate through Hotwire. We thought it would be cool though because we had never been there before. We had nothing but problems the whole time we were there. First, my husband gave his MILITARY UNIFORM on Thursday to the front desk to be dry cleaned. He HAD TO HAVE IT on SUNDAY but he did not get it back until MONDAY!! Their website says "Every morning at 9:00 am (Monday through Friday), Champion Dry Cleaners will pick up your laundry at the front desk and have it back to you by 6:00pm. A laundry bag and order form are conveniently placed in your guest room" First he was told that it would be the next day. That was fine since he didn't need it until SUNDAY. He asked about it everyday and they just kept saying that it was forgotten, or it wasn't ready... blah blah blah. Sunday morning comes around and my husband goes to the front desk. They still don't have his uniform! He tells them he HAS TO HAVE IT by 8:30 am at the latest. They tell him the manager is going to pick it up on her way in. The manager comes in at 8:00 and says she has to clock in before going to pick it up. We wait for a while, and she still wasn't back at 9:00. She calls and says the dry cleaners are closed and there is nothing more she can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't get it back until the next day at about 3 pm. Then, that night, we made an international phone call to Korea to try and fix a problem with one of our allowances. We didn't realize that at 20 minute phone call would cost over $350! (but whatever, that was our mistake) The problem was they took the money out of our account without saying anything to us, showing us the bill, or having us sign anything. The manager did offer to take of $150 and only charged us $200. We told them to put the money back into our checking account and charge it to our credit card instead. It took three days for the money to be put back into our checking account. Then, the day after they put it back in, they took it out again!!!! Now we have to wait two or three more days for it to be put back into our account again! We took the responsibility for the calls, even though it was a little extreme, but they shouldn't have taken our money without having us sign a receipt first! or at least showing us the bill. Also, they charge for parking! I can't believe they even charge a paying guest to park. That is insane! They also tried to put us in a room with two TWIN beds! When they finally moved us to a room with a king bed, they put us right by the noisy elevators. Our toilet ran constantly, they shower curtain didn't cover enough and left a large puddle every time we took a shower, the toilet hadn't been cleaned, and we had to push our door extra hard to make sure it shut all of the way. We woke up one morning and our door was open! On top of all of that, this hotel needs a lot of upgrading. The lobby is pretty but the rest of the hotel looks dated. Also, there are no refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms. I'm sure they do that on purpose to force you to eat at their restaurants, which are extremely over priced for the quality of the food. The breakfast buffet, $11 per person! was the same thing that we got at La Quinta for free! Definitely not worth $11 per person. It would have been better to go Waffle House or Cracker Barrel. This hotel is a tourist trap. I'm so glad that I got a good rate through Hotwire. I would NEVER EVER EVER stay at this hotel for the full price. I will never stay here again at any price and I will let everyone know what happened to us while we stayed here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
This review is not accurate. I was one of the managers that you spoke with about the uniform and the phone calls and billing issues. We did not use champion cleaners because they picked up early the day you dropped it off at the desk so we called another dry cleaner and took it to them. The suit was not done by Friday night and they did not deliver it on Saturday and they were closed on Sunday. The manager that was supposed to pick it up on Monday called in sick so I sent an employee to pick it up and deliver it to your room before lunch on Monday. We also did not charge the guest for the laundry. Also, after apologizing to the guest for his troubles, we also took off the parking charges for their whole stay. As for the phone calls, I personally took substantial dollars off the phone bill. HE asked me why it was so much and I said you called KOREA! He seemed okay with what we gave them in return. The guests were here for several days so they couldn’t have been that unhappy. We never heard of any room issues during their stay. As for the charge being put back on, that is totally false. I spoke to the guest that morning and showed him the bill and did not charge him.
Jim Bambrey Jr
Chattanooga Choo Choo
Birmingham, Al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Chattanooga Choo Choo is our favorite place to stay! I went there several times as a child with my family and have had the opportunity to take my four year old twice this year. He's been a train-enthusiast since he was 2 so he loves this place! We've stayed in one of the Victorian Train Cars both times. We love it! Why go to the Choo Choo if you're not going to stay in a train car anyway? :)

Room Tip: Building three is on the outskirts of the property but they have a pool with waterfall, a bridge and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you stating that “this is your favorite place.” We strive to provide the best hospitality value and exceptional service in the city. Thank you for your repeat business. Continue to come back year after year. I assure you that we won’t let you down.
Nashville, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This past weekend I traveled with a friend to Chattanooga, TN for the weekend. Based on other reviews and photos, upon our initial arrival to the lobby we were somewhat surprised at the dated decor. We thought, well maybe that is to be expected due to the historical nature of the hotel and its amenities.

Upon arrival in our hotel building, the decor was even more outdated. And I could not understand why the grounds surrounding the hotel building was all overgrown and in disrepair. Our hotel room was located in Building 2. The entrance doors were in disrepair and there was an odd smell, we attributed to perhaps the carpet. Then, as we rode the elevator to our floor, it was a loud scraping sound. Once in our room, the odd smell continued and the curtains appeared to have not been cleaned in quite a while. The electric face plate for the wall outlet was just laying on the floor. Upon review of the bathroom, the tub had a constant leak, and the morning we left the hotel our toilet backed up. The most uncomfortable part of our stay was finding out how paper thin the walls were. Night one, we did not sleep well due to the intimate activities of our next door neighbors who would be shocked to find out that we could hear everything!!!!

If you are looking for nostalgia, and the experience of historical decor, maybe this would be the hotel for you. I think nostalgia can be enhanced with a little cleaning and upkeep, and at the rates they charge per night some renovation of the hotel main hallways and carpeting.

I do not recommend this hotel for the rates they charge.

Room Tip: Do not book room in Building 2. Noisy elevator, soiled carpeting, thin walls.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
While I thank you for your comments, the main lobby is old (over 100 years). The building you stayed in was totally renovated just over a year ago. I apologize for the elevator problem. We want all of our guests to have comfortable and clean room, I wish you had called the front desk so that we could’ve addressed any of your concerns while you were staying with us. In the month of June we had 7 reviews that were 2 or below, however, we sold over 7,000 rooms. That’s 1 review per 1,000 rooms sold. I will email you via tripadvisor; I would like to speak with you.
All the best,
London, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed in a train car which was so neat. The hotel was so cool with the historic buildings and train cars to sleep in. My husband and I loved this place. They have a model train museum which he loved and a nice restaurant. It was so fun, we would definitely stay here again. We went to Ruby Falls and Rock City, which is close by and a must see.

Room Tip: Stay in the train car, it is an experience you won't find anywhere else. They even delivered us...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We love to hear that you had an AWESOME stay. Thanks for letting us know that you loved the train car. We look forward to another visit.
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently had a ship reunion at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo hotel, the stay was outstanding. The area around the hotel is spacious the parking is plentiful, bus transportation is right out the front door. The staff at this hotel is very customer friendly; there to help you what ever your needs may be. The food was very good and the portions were very good. The rooms are of good size, clean and comfortable we were not cramped up.

Room Tip: If you have special options request them at reservation time.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for having your reunion with us. Thanks for what you did for our country. It is great to hear your comments about your stay. I will share them with the staff... I hope you can return again
GM

Been to Chattanooga Choo Choo? Share your experiences!