“Fun stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 95 hotels in Chattanooga
Orlando, Florida
“Fun stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The site of the chattanooga choo choo is a large compound. The station serves as office and meeting place . There are restaurants, bars and shops inside. It is very pretty and historic. There are train tracks all around and even have a 20 minute train ride. There are beautiful gardens in the back of the building. They have refurbished train cars you can stay in or 3 separate buildings. We were in Hotel 3. It is pretty far from the station and they have golf carts to drive you around. The room was large and had a balcony overlooking a very large pool. In the center of the pool was an island which was covered and had a hot tub. The area surrounding the pool was nice as was the landscaping. The pool always had people in it when we were around. The room was average. The bed comfortable, the room had love seat in it. We had a great breakfast there at a reasonable rate. It was a clean room but not sparkling.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I am pleased you had a fun stay. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Thanks for your many compliments. I hope you can return some day.
All the Best.

1,710 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Acworth, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Definantly not worth even the $89.00 price I got on priceline. Room was musty smelling, carpet needed replacing, no refridgerator in room, beds were old double beds of the 70's era and hard as bricks. indoor pool was freezing as the maintinence staff forgot to turn on the heater, resturaunt was basicly like picidilly and was totally geared toward tourist attraction of the old train terminal.

Staff was friendly but not $89.00 for a night friendly.

Room Tip: Go toward the River for better room and eating options
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Heads, so that they can take corrective action. We take your comments very seriously and it is our opportunity to improve our product and service. I assure you that the beds have all been changed out in the past several years. I would love to know your room number. I will email you via tripadvisor, please give me a call.
nottm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The reception area of hotel is very nice ,, but a bit dissapointed with accomadation the outside is very dated and could do with a face lift , the rooms are also dark and dated but clean.. there is a shortage of loungers by the pool area and no towels in box,,, We dined in both restaurants both i would say are only average expected better. The grounds are kept really good and the re are a few shops .. but all in all was a bit dissapointed

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your experience wasn’t a great one. I appreciate you letting us know. I will follow up with the departments so that we can continue to improve our product and service. We have recently added more furniture to our pool areas. However, we will investigate to see if we need to make some more additions. We are constantly doing make over’s with are ongoing capital expenditure plan. Our Customer Satisfaction Index for the quarter is 85% with tripadvisor.
Morristown, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I were excited to be staying at the Chattanooga Choo Choo. I love studying history so this was right up my alley. When we first arrived, I was very impressed by the front lobby. The receptionist was very nice and directed us to where we would be staying. We stayed on the top floor of building 3. I will say the pool layout at this building was quite nice, and definitely a winner with the kids. The room was quite large, which was nice and had a nice balcony as well. The biggest drawback for myself as well as my wife were the beds. They were very uncomfortable. Something else we noticed is that on the mattresses themselves, the dates written on them were 1998 - 2004. They definitely seemed outdated. We didn't bother asking for a new room, as we had already had our stuff unloaded and figured that the rest of the rooms would probably not be any better. My wife did inform the front desk upon checkout of this and they said they would report to management. The other thing that stuck out to us was on our last night we were in the hot tub and it was probably 10 degrees warmer than the pool. My wife notified a staff member and they said they would contact maintenance. An hour later, no maintenance so I went and informed a staff member and he said that they had been called but didn't know when maintenance would plan to arrive. They never did. Also, surprised there was no microwave in the room, as that is usually a commonplace in most hotels.
Overall, a pretty good stay but it could have been better. I will say that most of the staff did their best to help us out, which I appreciate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, pool and history. I am sorry that your beds were uncomfortable. We will address that so that this doesn’t happen in the future. I do apologize for the lack of service you received about the hot tub. That shouldn’t have happened. Our maintenance team is available 18+ hours a day. I will investigate and find out the shortcomings of this event. Glad that your family enjoyed the pool layout. Bring your family back again soon.
Regards,
Jill Ellis Coker
Quality Assurance
welling
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

So glad that they had the foresight to say this station from the wrecking ball. The lobby is beautiful and the trains are such fun. This is such a well thought out resort. Would love to have stayed in one of the cars. Didn't try the musical car for dinner but those who did, said it was great fun. There are lovely gardens and some interesting shops on site too. You get a free ticket to ride on the little tram and to visit the model railway museum. you also get tickets for free bottles of water. There is an indoor pool and outdoor pool on the different segments of the hotel and places to eat outside the hotel too. Really liked this resort. Do go up the Incline Railway and visit Look Out Mountain to see the civil war site.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for recognizing the history of the terminal building. We love to hear that you not only were an overnight guest but enjoyed our other venues. Glad you had a great time. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Romsey, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I really looked forward to staying here and what a shame. We had booked an ordinary room (not a rail car) and it was just that, ordinary. The hotel trades on its name and its reception building is impressive but the rest of the buildings reminded me of a (British) 1960s office block. Cleanliness is not top of their list, our room wasn’t vacuumed before we went in and it wasn’t vacuumed on our second day either, there was a dirty towel from the previous occupants still hanging over the shower rail and we used the stairs rather than the lift (elevator) and they were filthy.
We didn’t use the restaurant so can’t comment on that, and the only staff we spoke to were the receptionists and they were very pleasant.
We used one of the pools which is big and nice, but also in need of a little TLC.
For the price they charge sorry not impressed. On the plus side there is a trolley stop next door for the free trolley that runs regularly to downtown

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. However, I do feel like your comments are a little harsh in reference to the hotel buildings. From the Archetech: The building is constructed with pre-colored and textured masonry commonly used in commercial and hospitality applications. The railings on the balcony and cross walks are patterned pre-cast concrete panels that are integrated into the masonry construction of the building. I do apologize for the cleanliness of your room. That is unacceptable and will be addressed with the department head. Did you let anyone know while you were here? If we don’t know, we aren’t given the opportunity to make things right. I know that we could have remedied the situation. Thank you for your fine comments about our staff.
Regards,
Jill Ellis Coker
Quality Assurance
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

For my birthday this year my husband took me to the Chattanooga Choo Choo. The old station looks great. We took pictures of the station. We stayed in one of the rail cars that have been made into rooms. We took pictures right a way. Great room very well done. While walking around the property enjoying the foundations, flowers, train cars; we stopped and got coffee and carried it back to the room. The seating is great for sitting, having something to drink, and talking. The staff was friendly and wanted to make sure we had everything we needed. We had dinner at the Station very good food and the waiters sang between serving We did room service for breakfast also very good and on time. I highly recommend staying in one of the cars.

Room Tip: Be sure to stay in one to the rail cars.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Happy Birthday! Thanks for the 5 star rating! I am pleased that you had a great time. Also, thank you for your great compliments about our accommodations, staff and service. See you next time!
GM

Been to Chattanooga Choo Choo? Share your experiences!