“Quirky and Eclecitc!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Late Night
Cumming, Georgia
“Quirky and Eclecitc!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This place was recommended for breakfast and I'm glad we came. It's a bit off the beaten path but worth a try. The décor is a fun compilation of memorabilia type items...one of the tables was even an old Pac Man game!
We tried the shrimp omelet...not anything spectacular...just your average omelet but the shrimp were a nice size, bigger than I would have expected.
Pancakes were awesome. Despite being very thick, they were light and fluffy with a good amount of plump, sweet, juicy blueberries.
The wait time would be my only complaint. We went on a Thursday morning and were able to sit at the bar as soon as we arrived. The Pac Man table was available but all the other tables were full ( there are not many tables inside). I'm all for waiting a bit longer to have fresh, just prepared food, but it took close to 40 minutes before we got our food. I hate to think how long it would be one a busy day!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, Alabama
“Pancakes!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Aretha Frankensteins has the best pancakes I've ever had (an I've had a lot!). At almost an inch thick, these golden-brown beauties are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They are not only delightfully thick, but huge in diameter too, so a double stack is plenty! In addition to the pancakes, they have a number of other menu items which look great and a huge selection of alcohol. The atmosphere is really quirky and cool. A gothic style interior and a hip local crowd make this place really fun. If the weather is nice, there is a covered porch and open patio with plenty of seating. The food doesn't come the second it's ordered, but it is nothing to complain about by any means. While your there, boxed pancake mix can be purchased to take home. Even though the mix doesn't make them as thick as the real thing, the taste is still incredible!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Tennessee
“Excellent food very good otherwise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This may be the best breakfast for lunch meal I have ever had. The country ham, eggs, cheesy grits and biscuits are out of this world. Coffee not so bad either, The building is very hard to locate as it is a little non-descript in a residential area. Seating is cramped and limited. Parking is even more limited to the point I had to move my car once and drive around the block scouting for a spot to ensure I wouldn't get towed. Frustrating but the food and service is so very incredible it is worth the visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chapel Hill, Tennessee
“Not for everyone.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Aretha Frankensteins is a quirky place with good food. It's small and not very kid friendly. We waited about 30 minutes to be seated for breakfast, which isn't to bad, although that's because there was a couple ladies who stormed out that were ahead of us. Not sure but I think somebody that arrived after them may have gotten seated first. The waitress wasn't ill-mannered but wasn't overly friendly either. we had some fried potatos which had peppers in them. They were good. We also had the pancakes after reading reviews about them, and I'll say, they were mighty good! I spoke of one of the children and then promptly thereafter my wife spilling their drink all over the place at Vaudeville Cafe in my review. Well the morning after was our trip to Aretha Frankensteins, and we got to enjoy 2 more spilled children's drinks! What fun! Haha. I would recommend eating here once to try it out. Some people may want to come again and again, but once is enough for me.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Worth the wait but Please get a new wafflemaker”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We enjoyed the atmosphere and the setting. Had a seat at the bar since there are few tables and they were all occupied. Glad we went on a weekday.
Was looking forward to the insanely good waffles but was told their wafflemaker wasn't working. Thought we saw that in a previous review; can't get a new one?!
Despite our disappointment we had the blueberry pancakes and shrimp omelette. Very impressed with the size of the shrimp. Omelette was a little runny but tasty.
The pancakes were delicious and worth the wait of about 30 minutes. If you are not in a hurry and in the mood for something different, this is a good place to experience.