“Dont let the bad reviews scare you...food and service were great.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aretha Frankensteins

Cuisines: American, Bar, Café
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Late Night
Morrisville, North Carolina
“Dont let the bad reviews scare you...food and service were great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and son had breakfast here a few months ago and on a return trip to Chattanooga my husband had me convinced that I had to try this place. Came to tripadvisor to get more info and saw the poor reviews and the negative comments re customer service. I am not very tolerant of poor customer service and so decided to go to another breakfast location with better TA reviews. Well as it turns out the selected location was closed on Monday and so I decided to give AF a try afterall. The restaurant is located in a small neighborhood so street parking is the only option and even on a Monday am we were parked about a 1/2 block down the road but were able to get an immediate seat at the bar area. Our server (can't recall his name) was great and attentive and got us menus, water and fresh coffee within minutes of us sitting down. We were lucky because several parties came in after us and had to wait for a table. This place is small and when I say small I mean 3-4 table insides, another 5-6 people at the bar area and another 2-3 tables outside so no more people then you could fit in your own home for a dinner party. My husband warned me re the portion size so we ordered two pancakes and then a 3 egg breakfast that included toast, hashbrown and three sausage patties. My hubby is a big guy and b/t the two of us we could not eat it all. I will say the food service as a bit slow but we were told that the pancakes take a while. There appeared to be no order to the service as the folks that arrived after us were served before us but we were served before a table that was sitting down when we arrived and we all had pancakes so that could not have been the reason for the different service times.

The pancakes were good - not the best I ever had but good - more like cake then pancake as they were sweet - may be made with cake flour or even cake mix as they were thick more like the cake my grandma and mom would make for us as kids from the extra cake batter. The other food was hot and good and the portion were large. The coffee was excellent and strong just like I like it. Once again the service I received was good and attentive and the server checked in on us several times during our wait. I would def. visit this place again....

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cleburne, Texas
“Service is not in their vocabulary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Went in, we're told to leave name at counter by a rude waitress/cashier. Asked for coffee and she just walked off. No service whatsoever. Place seats about 10 people and that apparently is overload for Sunday staff. Seating outside starts at 10. Maybe. Maybe not according to sign. Don't waste your time.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
South Haven, Michigan
“Best Breakfast in Chattanooga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We loved the breakfast at this restaurant. All the bake goods were marvelous. After we went there the first time, we ate every breakfast there for the rest of our trip. We were there at Thanksgiving time and didn't have any problems with service or having to wait.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“lousy food & customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Do not be fooled by this neighborhood, eclectic, seemingly charming little restaurant. The customer service is horrific, with employees who seemed clearly miserable. The food, reasonably priced, is completely unimpressive, assuming they get your order correct. I ordered a simple cheese & bacon omelet with a side item...grits. The biscuits, which are large, would be delicious if they served them to you as they were still fresh and warm. But don't count on it!

How easy is it to make a good omelet? Well, you would think....Mine was an omelet...really? An egg way over cooked and flipped over, as if it had the cheese and bacon within it that I had ordered..... yet vacant of anything that would improve the taste of the rubber eggs. And the grits I ordered on the side? No grits, they decided I had ordered hash brown potato chunks. These were a disaster as well, tasting as if they were 3 days old, greasy, and basically just a mess.

Don't waste your time or money here. There are plenty other eclectic, off the beaten path, restaurants to spend your money and enjoy a well cooked and prepared meal, with friendly and accurate service.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Smoke and mirrors”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't see what the fuss is about this place. The service is terrible. Terrible. It's run by stoner (I've seen them smoking pot behind the restaurant) hipsters who put the pretense of 'cool' before customer service. If you enjoy feeling like you don't matter in a restaurant than this is the place for you. It always seems crowded, but it's easy to seem that way when you have maybe 200 square feet of floor space for customers. And they won't serve on the patio before 10 am. So at 8:30 am on a beautiful Chattanooga morning when the wait is 30 mintues, they won't seat you outside.

As for their food, it's very average, but it's big and over-the-top so it appears unique. I had the blueberry pancakes, and, quite frankly, they tasted like yellow cake to me. I think their secret recipe might be Duncan Hines Yellow Cake. My wife had the shrimp and grits and it warranted a ho hum. The grits were congealed and clumpy and the shrimp was overdone and chewy.

Unfortunately, for me, the excitement of my first impression based on décor & atmosphere quickly deflated when I waited five minutes for a greeting from the fella behind the bar (I had to wait while he finished a casual conversation with a pal), and hit rock bottom when I was served round cake for breakfast.

I guess the restaurant is kind of like a hipster: it looks really cool, but its kind of hollow when you get to know it.

• Visited July 2013