“The good solid choice” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“The good solid choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Lots of places to eat in the Hamilton Place area, but we almost always keep coming back to the Big River. We enjoy the outdoor seating when the weather is comfortable (as it was tonight). The food at Big River is really good, and very consistent. I don't think I have ever had a disappointing meal there.

We met friends tonight and I had the blackened Mahi Mahi sandwich without the bun, mixed fruit and mixed veggies. Yes, I am trying to lose a bit (or a lot), and I have to be careful of what I eat. The fruit and veggies were tasty and the fish was cooked just right. The bread on the next table at least smelled good. My wife had a small pizza which she said was really good. All I know is that she ate it all, something that never happens. The make her Cosmo's the way she likes them which is a good thing. She is picky and lets them know if anything (and I mean ANYTHING) is wrong.

Service was friendly and met expectations - not too much, not too little - just right. Our waitress was well informed, friendly and she smiled. That often makes a lot of difference. Hope we get her again as she was good.

We will be back - maybe after I have shed a bunch of weight and can eat some of their very good real food.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Our "Go-to" Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Big River is one of the few places in this part of town that offers brunch on Sundays. When we do not feel like going downtown, Big River Hamilton Place is our "go-to" restaurant. The brunch is good. the drinks are good. It's not the best. It's not the worst. It's convenient, because we usually sit at the "first come, first serve" bar area. I recommend trying the fish tacos. A Hampton Inn & Suites is being built directly behind it, so Big River will be in walking distance for visitors. Also, the restaurant is conveniently located next to Hamilton Place Mall for anyone looking to grab a bite and do some shopping.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Yummy Shrimp and Grits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

First visit to Big River Grille Hamilton Place. Very convenient to my hotel and Interstate. Was seated quickly without a reservation. Service was good, martini was good, shrimp and grits were amazing for such a simple dish. Haven't had that since I was in Charleston, SC. Large menu with lots of choices. Indoor and outdoor seating, large bar area. Would go again!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tennessee
“Yes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Myself, my husband and son went here for Father's Day. I had read that this one at Hamilton Place was not as good as the one on Board Street but River Bend was going on and we did not want to be in all the traffic. We were pleasantly surprised at everything. If the other is better I do not know if we could handle it any better. I went to their web site before we left home and got a coupon sent to my email that gave us a free starter. When we arrived we were seated in a nice large booth. Our waitress was Emily. She asked us if we had been here before and we told her we had not. She told us about the beers and suggested we try a Sampler of the beer. This included seven 4ounce glasses all for $6.00. My favorite was the house brand IPA and my husbands was sweet magnolia brown ale. They were out of seven states pilsner so she let us try the ones we had and then gave us a 4oz. of the one we liked the best to replace the one they were out of. She was a great waitress. On the starter coupon it only gave us a choice of 3 but I wanted to try the Guacamole Made-to-Order. She went and checked and said that would be fine. This starter was good and went great with the beer. My son had churrasco steak taco and he said it was very good. I had the barbecue chicken pizza and asked for extra bq sauce on the side. If you love bq. chichen and you love pizza you will not go wrong with this. My husband had hazelnut crusted chicken which he asked to change the vegs. for the grits which was no problem and he said it all was great. There was no problem with anything we asked. The manager even came to our table and said she was told this was our first time and she gave us a nice hand written card with information about happy hour and a gift card for $5.00 off anything. This place was great. So please try it out. Yes!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
uufrisbee7
“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Their pizza is very good, especially the California pizza. Artichokes, sundried tomatoes, etc. make it a hearty meal without feeling too heavy. We have tried almost every variety, and California pizza is our favorite by far. Also, the bread is always fresh, warm and crusty, just the way I like it. I have ordered several of their chicken entrees, and my favorite is the hazelnut crusted chicken. The only time I've ordered something I didn't like, it was a side of rice that seemed way too salty. Other than that, their food is always excellent, as is the service. This last time we visited, we were seated near the kitchen, and the restaurant staff kept looking through the window and making silly faces at my young son. He loved it and it kept him occupied and made the place feel more family-friendly. At the same time, the staff is professional and gives the restaurant a nice, upscale kind of feel. They have a great rewards program, and a nice happy hour.

Visited April 2012