“Who knew?” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 138 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Raccoon Mountain Caverns is located just 1.3 miles off of I-24 at the Lookout Valley exit (#174), and is less than ten minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Visitors are presented with a cave in its natural state and our 45-minute (+/-) Crystal Palace Walking Tour allows them to view thousands of diverse formations - stalagtites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, flowstone, rimstone pools, draperies, columns, natural bridges, and a rare shield formation. We also offer a variety of wild cave "spelunking" expeditions for those who want to view beyond the lighted pathways and explore deeper into the mountain. Our Waterfall Dome expedition permits visitors to view the areas tallest underground, natural (unassisted) flowing waterfall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Atlanta
8 attraction reviews
“Who knew?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

We have been traveling through Chattanooga a few times a year since forever, and never knew such a beautiful cavern was a couple of minutes off I-24. The famous kitschy sites of Chattanooga (you know who you are) cannot hold a candle to the natural beauty of this cave. My daughters were thrilled with its formations. I can see why it is considered among the best caves east of the Mississippi River. We took the "civilized" tour and Brittany was our guide. She was very sweet and patiently listened to my girls' running comments while providing us with her very interesting information about the history and geology of the cave.
There is also a wild cave tour for those real cave exploring. For that you have to crawl on the wet cave floor, so bring a change of clothes for when you get back. I'm gonna return someday and take this wild tour without the females in my family who don't like to get dirty.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
50 attraction reviews
“Good cave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

This is a great cave. The tour guide was young but a member of the family that runs the cave, IF I remember correctly. The cave was nice and had some great formations. ALTHOUGH missing that one big attraction inside it makes up for it with some cave life such as salemanders etc. and great untouched cave formations. This is a good cave and well worth the money. Not my favourite cave but high on my list. Looking forward to revisiting very soon.

Atlanta, GA
“Kind of a Letdown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

I have lived in the Chattanooga area for many years and had never been to Raccoon Mtn. Caverns. Recently, I finally paid the cave an overdue visit. The overall atmosphere of the place is that of an old road-side tourist trap. The entry complex is somewhat run-down and definitely shows its age. The price of admission for the easy walking tour (what most people do) is a bit too much in my book. I also glanced at some of their other tour packages and they all consist of some sort of "wild" cave experience. Honestly, to their credit, these tours are probably much better than the standard tour, but naturally they cost about three times more. Anyway, after you pay you are then turned over to the typical teenage tour guide. The cave itself is actually very impressive and is not full of damage like Lookout Mtn's Ruby Falls. However, all the lame jokes and silly "Do you see Scooby Doo's head in the shape of that rock?" quips from the guide were almost too much to bear. They should definitely focus more on the educational aspects of the cave. Overall, I can't say it was a bad experience, it just isn't on the same level as some of Chattanooga's other attractions.

Bottom Line: Go if you enjoy caves, skip the walking tour and trade up for the more exciting tours.