“Bad from start to finish” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 709 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shallowford and Hamilton Place Blvd.
Atlanta, GA
“Bad from start to finish”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stopped here on our way through town to spend some time out of the car. It took a while for the hostess to seat us, not because there was a wait but because she was too busy with her phone/talking to other employees. Once we were seated we got drinks and tried to order but our waitress was no where to be found, so the waitress from the next section came over and took our order. After 30 minutes the manager came over and apologized that the kitchen messed up our order and the food would be out as soon as possible. We ordered two salads and two kids meals.. I am not sure how the kitchen messes that up? Anyway about 15 minutes later the food arrives and one of the kids ordered a cheese burger and received chicken instead. While I understand this isnt a huge mistake, you try explaining to a three year old who has been in the car for 6 hours why she didnt get what she ordered for lunch. The manager came over and apologized and went to get the correct meal. It was brought quickly given the mistake.

When we asked for the check we were surprised, the total was 65 dollars for the two salads and two kids meals, so we look at the bill. She had charged each of the kids meals as an adult chicken tender dinner. So each was supposed to be $6 and she charged us $14, when we asked what that was about she was like o thats weird, and walked off. We had to walk to the front and ask the hostess to get the manager again. He finally fixed the check, at that point we couldnt get out of there fast enough.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Forest City, North Carolina
“Awesome meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I ate here with a business partner while in Chattanooga. The resturant overall had a beautiful decor, although it is one of those darker resturants inside. Our service was great and we had absolutely no complaints. I had the ribs which were some of the better ribs I have eaten. They were very moist and fell off the bone as great ribs do! I will definitely return to this resturant on future trips to Chattanooga!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Roswell, Georgia
“Red Neck Ritz”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This place is for people who find Outback too upscale. Our service was terrible, very slow, the order was wrong and they knowingly and unapologetically charged me double. The food was over salted and about as average as one could imagine. Even for being sandwiched between a mall and an interstate this was a let down. They did credit my bill and take off the appetizer with some bull about how I would be charged twice then credited back later or something. Their error my pain. I would avoid J. Alexander's by the mall in the future.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Started out promising, main entree was a bit of a let down...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We went on a busy Friday night, so we waited 35 minutes to be seated. It started out promising with an absolutely fantastic spinach dip, followed by a tasty Alex's salad.However, I found the main entree to be rather disappointing, considering the price. We both had steak, and while the medium rare New York strip was of generous proportion I found it to be lacking in flavor and tenderness. The rib eye was similar, with the added annoyance of having way too much fat. So as far as steaks go, I've had way better, way cheaper elsewhere.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Bring Back the Spud's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We had a great evening with a group of nine from my husband's work. The service was great and she kept us all well satisfied. The only thing missing was those delicious mashed potatoes that I so look forward to every time. Bring BACK the Spud's they were a winner!

• 4 of 5 stars Food