“The is THE place for the AARP crowd!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Knoxville, Tennessee
“The is THE place for the AARP crowd!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were younger by at least 20 years than most of the other diners but that didn't bother us. It's the kind of place your grandparents would like to eat. I took my friend there for her birthday because I got a great deal on a Living Social coupon. She had the chicken and dressing and I had the salmon patties with a lemon cream sauce. We both had squash casserole and corn for our two sides. The portions were large and everything was tasty and seemed homemade. To top it off we both had a piece of Amaretto Pie which was simply divine. I usually don't eat sweets but they are famous for their Amaretto Pie so I had to indulge. The service was good but not great. The prices were similar to what other restaurants of this caliber would charge. This is mostly a restaurant for the affluent residents of the very wealthy community of Lookout Mtn. and tourists.

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
“2013 may have been mt v's peak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We visited tonight and had a very nice meal from a very condensed menu. Gone are such favorites as baked potatoes, French fries, fried shrimp, trout and the delicious filet. How can you operate a restaurant that doesn't have baked potatoes? This restaurant looks like it is near failure which is a pity because the food was good and the service first class. We go at least twice a month but the limited menu is not encouraging or inviting. How can you operate a restaurant that doesn't have a baked potato I ask again. If you want to dine at a nice restaurant not micromanaged by a big corporate management company you better hurry before you see this one boarded up. We are very disappointed!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Falkville
“Nice Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I had a business meeting at this restaurant, hidden away in Chattanooga, TN. The food that I received was good, but I'm sure there were better items on the menu. Because of the large group I was with we were only given the two choices. (Beef or Chicken). The service was excellent from the two male waiters. The salad was top notch with homemade salad dressing. They gave us two choices: Ranch or Cream Celery. I chose the ranch, but most everyone else had the Cream Celery. (They had all eaten here before) The Ranch was still very good. We were also given a choice between two desserts: Pecan Pie or Amaretto Pie. Again, I chose the Pecan Pie and almost everyone else chose the Amaretto Pie. The Pecan Pie was one of the best that I have ever tasted. Others were boxing up their Amaretto Pies to take home to their wives. (They said it got them extra brownie points, whatever that means) I will definitely come back to this restaurant the next time I'm in the area on business.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Tennessee
“Not your grandparents' Mt. Vernon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were trying to guess how long it has been since we were at the Mt. Vernon...and our best estimate was 35-40 years. Now, with that said, our only expectation was to find things pretty much like it was back then. As I recall, it was basically just a "meat-and-three" with some daily specials. It was a popular place for the "older" crowd (of which, didn't apply to us at the time).

Now, for our recent lunch visit... We were pleasantly surprised as to how the Mt. Vernon has "modernized". This being the Christmas season, there were several "office"-type parties going on in the private dining rooms and the remainder of the restaurant was full with a small waiting line.

The standard menu isn't all that large but filled with enough choices to satisfy just about any appetite. The also have a daily "special" menu with several entrées and a "blue place" option. Most items are a-la-carte. I had the blue plate (blackened trout over rice) and my wife had a vegetable plate. Everything was tasty and well prepared, although her squash casserole was a little dry. My fish was satisfactory; not bad, but nothing special.

The service was very good and the waitress stopped at our table frequently.

All in all, our lunch at Mt. Vernon was a renewed acquaintance with an old, Chattanooga favorite. We enjoyed it quite well and are sure we won't wait another 40 years to come back again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chattanooga
“I always enjoy the comfort food and amaretto pie here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

My party of 7 were comfortably seated at a large round table and allowed to enjoy a relaxed meal while catching up on old friends. At lunch we were given options of soup/salad; entrees with multiple vegetable options; salad entrees and sandwiches. Our group took advantage of the various options including desserts. These old friends are now planning to meet on a regular basis and chose this same restaurant for our next meeting.

• Visited December 2013