“Really good Thai food in Chattanooga” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Nashville, Tennessee
“Really good Thai food in Chattanooga”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We always stop by this Thai restaurant when in Chattanooga. They have good Thai Tea, and excellent Pad Thai dishes. The Pad Kee Mao, Pad See Ew and the Pak Prik Pow are all excellent and the spicy hot is REALLY spicy hot. I can handle the 2 it has the right amount of flavor and spice. If you order 3 it is very hot and 4 is almost unbearable, unless you can handle eating hot like raw habeneros.... So be careful!

Visited March 2013

Bristol, Tennessee, United States
“The spiciest food I have ever had, anywhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I stopped in for Valentine's Day dinner and were promptly greeted, seated, and menued. I could see the place was busy, so I suspected the service would be kind of slow, which gave us time to study the menu. We had been told at our hotel that the portions were large, so we decided to order two appetizers and split one entee.

A waitress took our order and promptly brought us our first appetizer-Spring Rolls, which were outstanding-hot, light, flakey crust, with a dipping sauce that was sneaky spicey. Shortly thereafter a waiter brought us our second appietizer-Satay, very tender chicken, with a cucumber relish and a peanut dipping sauce that was fantastic.

A short time later a different waiter brought us our entree-Hawaiian Chicken Fried Rice, chicken, pineapple, veggies, rice with a brown sauce. Now I should point out the menu had stated a person could determine the degree of spicyness he wanted, 1-6, with 1-2 being for American tastes, and 4-6 for native Thai tastes. I had ordered a 2. And the menu pointed out that if a person ordered something too spicey, it would not be remade milder at no charge. Fair warning.

Well, when I tried the entree, it was so spicey I could not 'taste' what I was eating. My nose started running, my eyes started wattering, and I broke out in a sweat. One degree spicier, and I think my head would have exploded like in a cartoon.

If we ever go back-and we might, my wife loves Thai food-I would order level 1 spicey, or even level 0 if offered.

Consider yourself warned.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great Thai food and nice service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Every time we go to Chattanooga, we stop and eat here. There never seems to be a line or a wait for a table. The thai tea is really good. And when you order something very hot, like a 4 or a 5, it's CRAZY hot. Consistently good food and the owner is always very nice. Haven't ever had real problems like some have with super slow wait staff, but I'm not usually in a big hurry. Great thai food in Chattanooga.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“The absolute SLOWEST place in Chattanooga to eat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have been to Thai Smile a couple of times now. The experience is the same every time - SLOW SLOW SLOW. Drinks go without refills, the food takes forever to be delivered to the table, and this past time no hostess ever came to seat us. We not only had to seat ourselves, but the server never returned to the table and we had to find a register to pay for the meal!! It was totally ridiculous and I do not intend to go there ever again.

The food is mediocre - not really bad but not really bad. If you are craving Thai food in Chattanooga, it is more than worth the drive over to Rain.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chattanooga, TN
“Untrained wait staff don't make up for good food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

It may have something to do with the owner closing the restaurant down for a month periodically, but the waitstaff needs training. I have yet to have all the meals at a table served at the same time.

This last visit, though, really took the cake. A woman and three children probably between 3 and 8 were at the table next to us. The tables are only a foot an a half apart, if that. The kids were being kids, which was fine - we expect that. It's a family restaurant.

The woman took one of the kids to the bathroom at least twice and the child looked decidedly unwell. The child then proceeded to vomit all over their table and the floor under their table and between our tables.

OK, it happens. The woman took quite awhile to remove the child back to the restroom. Of course she had the other two children who she left alone. The unforgivable part was that the waitstaff was clueless and the mess went uncleaned up.

The waiter actually CONTINUED SERVING FOOD to the two remaining children, just setting the plates down on the vomit-covered table.

Needless to say our appetites were ruined, although this same CLUELESS waiter asked us if we wanted our meals to go. We were about 1/2 through - and no thanks. I commented that our appetites were ruined and pointed out why (out of earshot of the two little kids still remaining at the table).

I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to go back for quite sometime; maybe never. Which is a shame. TRAIN YOUR STAFF PLEASE. I am guessing there is crazy turnover because of the closures, but TRAIN YOUR STAFF. P.L.E.A.S.E.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere