“Excellent Pork Chop, Exquisite Sides” 5 of 5 stars

423-710-2925
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
TerraMae Appalachian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 721 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 10th & Columbia
Transit: 10th & Market
Description: It starts with the freshest local ingredients from nearby farms, transformed by Chef Shelly D. Cooper into dishes that are both familiar and brand new. This isn't the high Southern cooking you might see in movies like The Help. This isn't low country cooking. It's inspired by the local fare eaten in the Southern Appalachians for centuries, a cuisine born from a deep love of the land.From steaks to scallops, from chowchow to country ham, from barbecue duck to biscuits, from hills and hollers to the coast, TerraMae's menus are firmly rooted in regional traditions with a contemporary twist. Some of our ingredients are unexpected to those who have forgotten or never experienced the practical magic of Appalachian foodways. Whether you come for dinner, lunch, or brunch, you're sure to rediscover the delight of truly local food. TerraMae is a perfect location for large groups and private dining experiences.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Excellent Pork Chop, Exquisite Sides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I worked for several years on a farm that produced naturally grown vegetables, pastured pork and grass-fed beef. This was a side job for me, and I worked, quite literally, for food. I grew accustomed to the full flavor and health benefits of eating locally produced farm food.

The food at TerraMae was as good as that we grew on the farm, owing to their commitment to locally grown farm fresh food. I recommend it wholeheartedly -- just be and ask for a table with level feet - the only drawback to the evening was a wobbly table.

• Visited September 2013

East Ridge, Tennessee
“A very upscale and very different twist on local fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

It was a little more upscale than I expected. A beautiful place indeed. I went for lunch as I had a discount coupon to try this relatively new place out. The atmosphere was great. The server was very informative and very nice. He recommended the Carrot ginger (something soup of the day) and it was great! It was also very filling. I was not impressed with the salad (mostly because my palate was not so sophisticated I guess). There were things on it I had no idea what they were but it looked awesome even though it was not appetizing to me. I tried the chicken pot pie as well and was pleased with it but it definitely was not a typical pot pie. The crust was like a pastry puff which I loved and the sauce was good too, but some of the flavors were simply too over powering. That is one thing I did enjoy about Terra Mae is the flavors were very strong. Normally I would have loved this but some of the strong flavors were not appealing to me in this case. I give it a four out of five simply because the soup and the atmosphere was that good and I'm sure that there were other things on the menu that I would have loved more.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Excellent - ate there 2 nights in a row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Don't miss this restaurant jewel! I was with a world pro cycling team in Chattanooga for USPros. We have eaten all over the world and found such delicious food at TerraMae that we ate there two nights in a row, and we wished we had eaten there the third night too. The New Ambrosia salad, the Appalachian Lunchable and the Crispy Shell Point oysters are "to die for"! I would highly recommend the Double Cut Berkshire Pork Chop, the King Salmon, Seared Halibut and Cast Iron Beef Tenderloin!

NE Tennessee
“Good food, but not a totally pleasant evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

The food was good, but the evening's calm atmosphere was shattered by a very loud waiter who spent over half an hour aggregate time conversing loudly with a couple near us. Very annoying...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hastings, New Zealand
“Awesome evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Wat a fantastic evening we had;awesome food,elegant decor, great service (thanks steve) and we had chef shelly visit our table.....all in all, a 10/10. :-)

• Visited April 2014