“Some of the best food in Chattanooga” 5 of 5 stars

423-710-2925
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
TerraMae Appalachian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 692 restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 10th & Columbia
Transit: 10th & Market
Description: It starts with the freshest local ingredients from nearby farms, transformed by Chef Shelly D. Cooper into dishes that are both familiar and brand new. This isn't the high Southern cooking you might see in movies like The Help. This isn't low country cooking. It's inspired by the local fare eaten in the Southern Appalachians for centuries, a cuisine born from a deep love of the land.From steaks to scallops, from chowchow to country ham, from barbecue duck to biscuits, from hills and hollers to the coast, TerraMae's menus are firmly rooted in regional traditions with a contemporary twist. Some of our ingredients are unexpected to those who have forgotten or never experienced the practical magic of Appalachian foodways. Whether you come for dinner, lunch, or brunch, you're sure to rediscover the delight of truly local food. TerraMae is a perfect location for large groups and private dining experiences.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Some of the best food in Chattanooga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A great restaurant for a special night out or just a weeknight dinner. Casual but beautiful atmosphere with great service and truly good food.

Visited September 2013

87% Recommend
Dallas, Texas
“My perfect world? To eat this food every.single.day.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

With my (still full) tummy, I'm writing this review only to wrap my head around the fact that anything negative could be written about this hidden gem in downtown Chattanooga.

My dinner included the rabbit pot pie...yes, rabbit. It was perfect. Then, I had the foie gras with caramelized pears. And THEN, I had a salad with some sort of warm cherry pecan dressing. Yes folks, you read that correctly--warm cherry pecan dressing. PERFECT ALL THE WAY AROUND!

In the end, I can only wish for one thing = please let me win the lottery (maybe I should start to play now?) so that I can hire Chef Shelley Cooper and the guy who made our drinks to cook for me.

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“One of the best meals I've ever had...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

On my recent visit, I sat at the bar and thoroughly enjoyed engaging with the staff in conversation on multiple topics throughout the evening.
I then proceeded to order half the menu. I started with the Back Yard Garden Salad, Crisp Soft Grit Cakes and Lamb and Biscuits. Of those three, I enjoyed the lamb and biscuits the most.
Then I ordered the Appalachian Lunchable (Deviled Eggs, Pickled Shrimp, Benne Seed Bacon,
Buttermilk Cheddar Pimento Cheese, Rosemary Biscuits, Country Ham, Pickled Vegetables). This was simply amazing. it was a complete explosion of flavors on my palate. The Bison Short Ribs were so tender and flavorful and were a great choice to finish off the dinner courses of my evening. The berry cobbler for dessert was hands down the best I have ever had! The entire meal had the essence, feel and freshness of farm to fork!
I have lived and traveled all over the world. I eat out and at great restaurants every single day of my life. I must say that Terra Mae is one of my new favorite places in the entire world. I will always stop in on my travels through Chattanooga.

Sandestin fl
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I had a reunion of classmates that all came in town for a few days and we had several lunches and dinner at Terra Mae all were so pleased with the staff and the food was excellent for every meal we had. We are planning on another trip there soon. Loved it

Calhoun, Georgia
“Fantastic service, enchanting ambiance. Food..perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I spent a beautiful night out at TerraMae recently. Our server Matt was extremely well versed in the menu and took time to explain items we were curious about. He treated us as we were the only table even tho it was a busy Friday night. We shared the new items from their fall menu. The pork belly & shrimp appetizer was superb-perfect butter poached shrimp (so tired of eating overcooked shrimp!) I ordered the bison short ribs and my wife had the crispy flounder. I was just amazed at the attention to detail! Vegetables expertly cooked, the short rib was beyond tender, and even tho I was skeptical about warm potato salad, it balanced the meal. The flounder was to die for- beautiful crispy skin and moist flaky meat. There is no question, we will be back! We are excited to have found this gem!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere