“A Lookout Mountain Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn
You added Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn to your Saves list
2159 Old Wauhatchie Pike, Chattanooga, TN 37409   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Chattanooga B&B and Inns
Asheville
“A Lookout Mountain Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

Being somewhat of a road warrior, I can’t even tell you how many short trips I have made that I can’t even recall the hotel I stayed in. The reason being, they were all pretty much the same: headboard bolted to the wall, bed platforms drilled into the floor, two chairs - if you’re lucky, and a small round table that always seems to wobble. How many hotels have you stayed in that fit that description? Sky Harbor is not that kind of place! It is neither B&B or Best Western. This place takes me back to some of my most memorable early family vacations in well maintained and older family-owned motor lodges that offered many features that are likely to differ from room to room. Some might consider this a little quirky or not up-to-standard nowadays. Sky Harbor comes from a much earlier time, and earlier than late 60s I might add. I call it a comfortable room with a view and character - that I can actually afford.

The Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn is perched on a cliff overlooking Moccasin Bend on the Tennessee River side of Lookout Mountain. The approach onto Old Wauhatchie Pike en route to Ruby Falls does not prepare you for the view you get when you open the door to one of the rooms in this historic compound of cottage-like buildings with several rooms within each. The drivable part of the historic Old Wauhatchie Pike ends just beyond the property border and turns into a historic greenway owned by the National Park Service. I can’t speak to whirlpools, champagne, honeymoon suites, family cottages, and condo units that others enjoyed during our stay. I can tell you about our standard double - which we were perfectly happy with.

Our spacious and clean room had two antique double beds, wood paneling, hardwood floors, a refrigerator, microwave, a small drop-leaf dinette table, perfectly functional and quiet heating and cooling, and an updated bathroom. The smell of real wood reminded more of a state park cabin than a room in a chain hotel, but I did not see or smell mold. The mattresses are not Stearns and Foster, and the linens are not that of Westin’s Heavenly beds, but at well under $100 per night we were perfectly content to crawl under our blue flowered sheets and blanket and listen to the night sounds and the distant hum of the city below. The pool was sparkling clean, heated, and a welcomed delight after a particularly warm and busy October 1, 2006. Morning coffee in the little vending room was greatly appreciated. We brought our own coffee for later in the day. The large community patio, which is suspended over a natural cliffside rock garden, is also a good place to enjoy morning coffee or a picnic lunch.

Old fashioned screened doors open onto the best part of all: the view. Day or night, every room has a spacious and private porch with rocking chairs that offer spectacular views. Enjoy the view at the pool, patio, or your own private porch. I can only say one thing to the person who said that all they saw was a railroad and an industrial plant: your glass is half empty. Did you notice downtown Chattanooga over the hill on Moccasin bend or the riverboats heading down the river, Signal mountain in the distance, or almost all of Missionary Ridge? Yes, you can get a better view. No, you are not right on the river or on the summit. Shell out a couple of million for a house on East or West Brow on the summit of Lookout Mountain for the best views in the city. See the photos and you decide if the view meets with your approval.

THANK YOU Patsy and Steve for a wonderful weekend. You provided a much needed respite in what has been a very hectic and trying year.

• Liked — Magnificent View
  • Disliked — No In- room Coffe maker
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
franklin , KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

Just wanted to write and say we were disappointed with our stay. We had called the inn directly and made our reservation for May 26,2006. The Inn was less than what we had expected. The photos on their web page make it looker nicer than we found it to be. I thought that I could smell mold upon our arrival. In the bathroom over the tub was mold in room 8. This could be a problem for someone with allergies to mold. The towels and sheets were very worn. Overall the bathroom needs renovating. The balcony overlooks the river but is not on the river. There is a road and some distance between your balcony and the river. We were unable to enjoy the balcony as the roof had a hole in it and the rain was dripping on us. There is not in room coffee but coffee is provided in a small covered area which is not bad but the coffee was not hot. THe wood floors were beautiful. There is only one phone line so guests need to take turns using the phone. Just think the place needs some attention and sprucing up and it could be a jewel of a place. It is very near the entrance to Ruby Falls but there are no really close restaurants. After we got home, I mailed a letter about items of concern stating that the room was not what we expected and over priced but to date I have not even received any type of reply. We paid $99 for a room with a king bed. This same week we had stayed other places for a much better value. Then received email asking us if our stays were satisfactory. These owners did not appear to care if we were happy travelers or not. We have stayed other places in this city and would not return to the Sky Harbor Inn or suggest it to friends.

Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

We are a family of three, myself,husband and 2 year old. We stayed in room 2 on July 1,2006. It was our wedding anniversary and I came acroos this motel just surfing on the internet. The view was great, loved the back porch. The back porch had three rocking chairs with a totally private. The pool was perfect. It had a great view and was very private. The rooms had everything needed; a frig,microwave and tv. Totally relaxing. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone wanting a great view with a resonalble price.

• Stayed July 2006
nashville,tn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

We love the quaint little inn on Lookout Mountain. Our favorite is sitting on the balcony looking down on the Tennessee river, especially at night when the city is lit up. And this year we got the added treat of being able to see the fireworks from Chattanooga's Riverbend music festival. But the view with or without the fireworks is worth the cost of the stay. We have stayed at roadside hotels with basic amenities for the same cost and didn't come away with the memories of that awesome view. Patsy and her husband were very nice and when we did have a problem with the toilet, they fixed it pronto. The pool was the perfect temperature needed for a relaxing dip in such a high altitude and just what we needed after a busy day visiting with friends and family at a family reunion in nearby Lookout Mt., Georgia . We also slept quite comfortably. We live in Nashville and the drive was a short 2 and 1/2 hours to get there. No matter why the visit to the Chattanooga area, I not only would, but am recommending the inn, as I write, to a friend planning a weekend getaway.

• Stayed June 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

My husband and I reserved the honeymoon suite at the Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn in celebration of our one year anniversary. We were extremely disappointed when the honeymoon suite was not as described on the Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn's website. It was old, run-down, and dirty with a strange odor. The hot tub was simply a tiny bathtub with jets (half the size of our normal bath tub at home) thrown out in the open. The bathroom was dirty and grimy. The towels and wash cloths were falling apart and looked like my old linens from college. The mattress on the bed caved in at the center. We woke up with terrible backaches.

When we woke up to find dead cockroaches on the floor the next morning, we were out of there in less than 5 minutes. What a disappointing anniversary!

We were not given a refund for the night; however, we were refunded for the next day (that we had planned on staying).

Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2006

We have three small children and we come up for a week every summer to go to aquarium camp. We love Patsy (owner) to death, and the family suite is just like an apartment- a room for the kids with a tv and movies in it, their own whirlpool bath, a living room, a kitchen, and a sweet master bedroom with the private hottub on balcony. The pool is small, right there close to the rooms and the perfect temp with a great view. Wide steps and shallow enough to relax that your kids wont drown. The views are fantastic, and the owners are so nice about kids being there. They provide donuts and coffee in the courtyard in the mornings too. Its incredibly well priced also, and easy to find. We LOVE it.

• Stayed July 2005
Knoxville, tn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2006

This is the first time in all our travels that reviews on trip advisor let us down. The few bad reviews here should be trusted. On our arrival, the temperature was below freezing, yet we were made to stand outside the "check in window" without even an offer to come in from the cold. We asked, "Why are you named the Bavarian Inn?", reply, "I don't know, you would have to ask the people we bought it from". This hotel is nothing more than a late 60's style side of the road motel. I have seen nicer bathrooms in a gas station. Yes, there is a good view, but it is of an industrial plant and train depot. There were no pillows on the bed, only shams. The bed linen should have been replaced long ago. Thank goodness this was only a little 1 night getaway and no special event. I really feel for the man who went here on his honeymoon. Way overpriced. Stay downtown for the same price. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!