“Good location but, bring your own towels and some air freshener.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #72 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
Tangerine, Florida
“Good location but, bring your own towels and some air freshener.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I noticed a sign that stated that hot tub rooms were available yet when I asked for an upgrade (I didn't specify "Free" just an upgrade), I was told that all rooms were the same. Our room had no hot tub.

There were one or two cars in the parking lot when we checked in and according to the reservation screen, that I could see, there were only two other reservations for that night. More cars did arrive later in the evening. However, I asked for a quiet room and about five minutes after we checked into this nearly empty hotel, they put a family with kids across the hall from us!

The room and hallways had a strong smell like hair care products or heavy perfumes. If you are not used to those due to your ethnic group, the smell could be troublesome.

My husband and I traveled together. There were 2 "big" towels in the room, two washcloths, and one hand towel. After we went to the pool, we asked the woman (who seemed to run the hotel with her husband) for extra towels. She gave us the stink eye and said "Did I not put two towels in your room?!" We said yes but that we needed more towels. She told us she would give us more towels after we went to the pool. Okay, we were dripping in her lobby but we had to show her our wet suits before she would give us more towels and then she gave us pool towels. When we needed more towels the next day, a friendlier girl was there, but we were still only give pool towels (and we were not using them for the pool).

The pool is TINY. It is not small, it is teeny-tiny. The breakfast, which we did not eat, had cereal (two kinds) and toast. Period. We asked for our room to be cleaned (owner and maid in hallway about 11am said it would be "next") but it was not done when I came back to the room at 12:30. I asked again for it to be done. Finally at 1:15 I left the room b/c the maid was getting nearer to the room to clean it (all empty rooms). I could not sit in the lobby/eating area b/c the owners were folding towels all over the tables and blocking the chairs.

This is a good location, exit 175 Lookout Mountain. To get to Cracker Barrel, WalMart, Sonic, Raccoon Mtn Caverns, exit the hotel going left, and turn right at the light (you don't have to get back onto the highway). To get to Rock City, Ruby Falls, Incline, turn left at the light. Convenient location, but there are two other Choice Hotels at this exit side by side of this EconoLodge. There is a Quality Inn and Comfort Inn. Those two hotels work together giving you access to either of their outside or inside pools. Quality Inn has outside halls. Comfort Inn has inside halls. There is a McDonald's at this exit and two gas stations. There is a grocery store and a Dollar General as well.

This EconoLodge had inside hallways. There was no iron/ironing board in the room. A nubby "golf" pencil but no paper pad or pen in the room. Hard bed. The microwave was filthy on the outside--visible finger prints and goo on the side of the microwave and on the number pad.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
chattanooga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

The Econo Lodge Lookout Mountain is a basic no frills hotel where you get your money worth. The hotel was conveniently located to all the attractions in Chattanooga and right off the interstate, but from inside the hotel it is blessedly silent. I couldn't hear any traffic at all. I also couldn't here the other guest which was a nice change from other hotels where I've been kept awake all night due to rowdy neighbors. The rooms were VERY clean and had a microwave and fridge along with a coffee maker that was nice to have for late night snacks for the kids before bed. The air conditioner worked well and cooled the room quickly. The TV is nice size and my kids loved the pool which is a little small but impeccably clean and not overly chlorinated like hotel pools. On the down side the towels are small and thin and there were only two sets of towels in a room made for 4 people. The beds weren't temperpedic but I guess that's to be expected for the price of $69. The breakfast is very basic but the evening desk clerk that we checked in with told us exactly what to expect and recommended a great family diner just a few blocks from the hotel were we good a good southern hot breakfast for around $5. Overall the hotel met our expectation. The best part of our stay was the Desk Clerk that checked us in the Saturday evening we arrived, I have never met a more helpful or friendly clerk even in the best 4 star hotels (don't know why she is wasting her time at an econo lodge) she gave us detailed directions for everywhere we wanted to go, printed our boarding passes and even made reservations for us for the River Boat and the next hotel we were going to stay at. She was just delightful and seemed genuinely interested in my family and our comfort while staying at their property.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I'm a budget hotel traveler, staying mostly at Holiday Inn Expresses. This place is nowhere near that quality. Here are my notes:
1) the pool was about 12 feet square. teeny-tiny
2) breakfast was a couple of stale looking donuts and English muffins. My son said "let's skip it" and I think it was a good move
3) you feel every spring in the mattress. Must have been some bargain deal for the owners
4) the managers are the owners and they live onsite. Lady manager made it clear to me that hotels.com (through whom I bought the room) overcharged me and that she was only getting $48.78 from hotels.com. (note to staff: customers don't want to feel like they got cheated, nor do we care what kind of deal you made with your sales channels)

There were nicer hotels nearby, so I suggest giving this one a pass.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Salisbury, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We walked in & were asked if we had a reservation, "yes" we did. They wanted us to produce the printed copy from online...Good thing I had it with me. We had to pay upfront. Which is unusual-and later we found out why. The room seemed okay at first. Had a fridge and little coffee maker which we weren't expecting at that price point. But when you got to looking it wasn't really clean- at all. My husband went to make coffee and there was a used coffee filter in the maker. Yuck! There were gross dust bunnies and hair all under the bathroom sink. Yuck! We stayed there two nights, and they did not come clean, or make the bed on the 2nd day- They left towels on the FLOOR outside our door!!! GROSS!!! That is not clean towels. I asked for an extra pillow when we first arrived on the way out to dinner, that way when we came back at late I wouldn't have to bother anyone-- I had to ask again when we got back. They never offered us anything ever. We had to ask for a clean bag to get ice the 2nd day. We were only 1 of maybe 12 rooms occupied it seemed. I know its the Econolodge and I don't expect 5 star service, but I do expect clean, at least.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Overall a good place to stay for business travel. The hotel is quite and the staff is friendly.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
grand rapids, mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

This hotel had a great location being close to lookout mountain and the attractions of Chattanooga like Ruby Falls, the Incline Railway and Rock City. Maybe 10 mintues or less from the heart of downtown. The hotel was nothing glamorous and had no frills but if you are just looking for a inexpensive clean place to lay your head this is a nice little hotel. It was a small hotel and the front desk and housekeeping staff was very friendly. The continental breakfast was VERY basic. Cereal, bread, juice and coffee. But it gave us a little something to eat before heading out to sight see. This hotel cost us only $60 a night so it was perfectly adequate for the price and we would stay there again if we find ourselves in Chattanooga again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Boise
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

If you're looking for an economical stay and conveniently located near the Rock City and Ruby Falls attractions along with historical Civil War Battlefields and just a few minutes from the city of Chattanooga, this is the place. Don't expect a high thread count, however, for the sheets and pillow cases at this hotel. My wife also had complaints about the lumpy pillows as well. On the bright side, as already mentioned, is the fact the price is right and the rooms are very clean. We paid a senior rate of $51 per night which included all taxes and fees. Also, don't expect much in regards to the continental breakfast as it's quite limited. Another "downer" for me was the fact that they will not print boarding passes for you for flights. They do have high speed internet access, however, if you have your own computer which we don't. I'd definitely stay here again if/when in the area simply based on the price, convenience, and cleanliness of the facility.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge Lookout Mountain? Share your experiences!