“The intimacy of a B&B, the amenities of a larger chain hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Stone Fort inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   120 East 10th Street, Chattanooga, TN 37412   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Chattanooga B&B and Inns
Erin, Tennessee
“The intimacy of a B&B, the amenities of a larger chain hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My fiancee and I went for a weekend getaway to Chattanooga. We stayed 3 nights. This was our first experience with a boutique hotel. The building was very interesting (built in the early 1900's). It has the intimate feel of a B&B (only 16 rooms) without the close interaction with your host and other guests. Although we enjoyed our stay, this hotel is not the place for picky patrons. There were a few minor things (room phone didn't work, low water pressure, room was little drafty) that didn't bother us, however, someone who is looking for a luxurious setting with all the amenities and services would probably be unhappy with this hotel. We liked that the building was old (but nice!) and had a history behind it. The furnishings were mostly antiques and the floors sloped due to age, but for us this was part of the charm. I would not recommend this place for families with small children. There are too many things to break. They served breakfast every morning and it was delicious, with a wide variety of things to choose from (bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc.). In fact, the breakfast at the hotel was the best meal we ate all weekend. We never heard any noise from the rooms on either side of us, however, you could hear people in the hallway but there wasn't a lot of foot traffic, so this wasn't bothersome. The hotel is located downtown, so you will hear traffic and sirens, but this wasn't bad enough to bother our sleep. The hotel was conveniently located. We could have walked to most of the local attractions and restaurants/pubs. Unfortunately for us, it was too cold while we were there to walk anywhere. The parking during the week is a couple blocks away and requires a card to open the gate that you have to pick up at the front desk, however, on the weekends, you have access to a parking lot next to the hotel and just steps from the front door. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for something different than the cookie-cutter chain hotels. If you like B&B's, I would definitely recommend trying this place out. We will stay here again when we go back to Chattanooga.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Aiken, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Parking is a block away. There were not enough parking cards for everyone, so anytime you went out you had to stop at the hotel, go inside, get a parking key, then go park. Frequently there was no one at the desk. We asked for a city map, there wasn't one. We asked for directions to the National Cemetery and to the university, the young lady didn't know how to get to either place. Our room was incredibly noisy, every night. No chair for the desk. The floor had at least a 20% slope in one area (not an exaggeration....you could not place a glass on the tabletop, it would slide off!). There were no hangers in the wardrobe, although they did bring some on request. We stayed 3 nights, and had to ASK to have our room cleaned. Basically very poor to no management in sight.

The restaurant, Terra Mae, was quite good. Go for dinner, stay someplace else.

Room Tip: If you must, request a room at the front of the building, the backside has horrible generator noise...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidMitchellCHA, General Manager at Stone Fort inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
We apologize that your stay at StoneFort was not up to all your expectations. It is always our goal to offer our guests genuine hospitality. For example, we brought a complimentary in-room appetizer tray as a personal touch for your husband’s birthday. We sincerely apologize that despite our best efforts, you found your experience lacking.

To address your specific concerns, it is true that we do not have an attached parking facility. We're a downtown inn built before the age of the automobile; however, we're close to the Southside, Riverfront, and North Shore districts which can all be reached by foot, bicycle, or free electric shuttle. It's a more European arrangement, one that allows us to truly be part of the urban fabric of Chattanooga. Because of the age and urban nature of the inn, it's also true that it isn't built the same as modern chain hotels. The floors slope in some places and sound carries a little differently. While we understand this isn't what everyone looks for in an inn, others see this as part of the charm and what sets StoneFort apart from big cookie cutter, chain accommodations.

As for staffing, our front desk personnel is on site from 9:30AM to 10PM to handle customer concerns. Our breakfast staff is available earlier and can assist guests with any needs prior to the office staff arriving. Housekeeping cleans the rooms each day unless there is a do not disturb sign on the door. We have talked with housekeeping to develop a better strategy for cleaning rooms under those circumstances. We are sorry that you did not find these services satisfactory. We are happy to hear, though, that you enjoyed Terra Mae. We are very proud of our restaurant and getting to share a little of the local cuisine, style, and culture that makes Chattanooga special.

Finally, we wish you would have told us at any time during your stay that you were not happy with any aspect of your experience. We always react promptly to customer concerns. This review was a big surprise and disappointment to all of the staff.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The building is beautiful and has a lot of potential, but the execution just isn't there. Several of the pieces of furniture in our room were missing pulls, such that only one drawer was usable. The room has a beautiful glass window above the door to the hallway. While this is nice, there wasn't a window covering for it and at night that light was really bright.

As for service, the place is advertised as having a full breakfast. However, when we checked in and asked when breakfast would be served, we were told it is from 9-10:30 am on Saturdays. We had planned to get up and head out around 8 for hiking, but altered our plans. I think people should know that breakfast isn't really "included" if they want to start their day earlier. That said, the food and service at breakfast were great.

Because breakfast is such a tight window, we found that a lot of people were bathing at the same time --> cold water shower. We had enjoyed a beautiful, warm bath the night before -- it was a pity we couldn't start the morning with a similarly warm shower.

The parking situation seems a bit dodgy to me - I wasn't entirely comfortable leaving my car on the street in the neighborhood. It turned out fine, but I was nervous.

All in all - I might stay here again. I loathe chain hotels, but I'd be in interested in trying another boutique hotel before returning here.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at Stone Fort last year (July 2012) and it was one of my favorite parts of a great long weekend trip to Chattanooga.

There is really nothing I can complain about, as I loved everything -- the restoration of the historic building, the antique furniture, the spaciousness, the wonderfully friendly and kind staff, and oh my, the wonderful breakfast!

My accommodation, which was a free upgrade, was just lovely and so roomy and comfortable. I had, all to myself, a big bedroom, a sitting room (with a fireplace) and a huge bathroom with a giant jet tub and separate shower and separate toilet room. All of it was decorated in homey, but not too-too cute antique/lived in furniture, as you'd expect at most B&Bs, and everything was clean and fresh. There were two TVs and wifi so despite the cosiness, there was also technological comfort.

I've never stayed at a hotel suite that made me think "Wow, I wish I could live here!" I am eager to go back so I've signed up for their email newsletter, according to which they've turned their dining space into a full-service restaurant, which sounds promising as the breakfasts I had there were superb.

Room Tip: I had a suite, with a large sitting room, in addition to a large bedroom and bathroom, and having it...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

First night stay started with great impressions. We have plans to go out on the town for dinner but, changed our mind and decided to dine at Terra Mae, the hotel's Appalician restaurant. The service was fair. The food excellent. The bar manager, Justin, has developed a wonderfully playful cocktail menu. In my view making cocktail out of whisky is an unpardonable sin. Justin has received my blessing and admiration by blending whisky into outrageous layer cocktails. My hat off to you sir. Try the Saserac and Anton. You can't go wrong. The whirlpool tub was much fun after a fun night and belly full of whisky.

Room Tip: Any room is a great choice. If you are a cigar smoker opt for a private balcony.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This is our second visit to the Stone Fort Inn. It has to be one of the best hotels in Chattanooga. Exquisite renovations made each room full of individualized character. If you are looking for a place with character, comfort and convenience, this is it! Highly recommend.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I had a very memorable stay at Stone Fort, complete with complimentary champagne and hors d'oeuvres waiting for us in the room. Staff was super as well as the amenities. Because the hotel is so old the floors creaked, which you could say is part of its charm. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the bed was so squeaky if was difficult to be very romantic, if you know what I mean. Still, I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to lessen the squeaky floor problem.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Stone Fort inn? Share your experiences!