“Overall a good stay, a few bumps.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Dover, PA
“Overall a good stay, a few bumps.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Parts of this hotel we Loved, others we liked, a few things not so much. Plus side: There was some staff that were truly awesome and seemed to enjoy helping out, such as our breakfast service which was awesome. The valet staff were helpful, even though we didn't use the valet service. We loved the rooms which were clean and comfortable and the beds were nice and soft. The common areas of the hotel were quite well decorated and aesthetically pleasing. Our rate was awesome and overall it was a good deal.

Negatives: The staff was not knowledgeable about any surrounding areas and were no help in locating any local parks or attractions. We Hated the pool which was 3ft deep from end to end, there were no stairs or entrance or safe place for younger kids to enter and no place for the older ones to really swim. We didn't love the parking fee, but the parking was atleast easy to use once you Found it. There was no sign directing where to park, so its tricky figuring it out the first time. Some lovely person pulled the fire alarm in the middle of the night, and that wasn't so much fun. However, the staff responded well informing people with updates and got us all back in pretty quickly.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay by the ice machines. I wasn't near them, but I felt So bad getting ice in the early...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LauraBatchelor, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about the hotel from your recent stay. I am sorry you did not get the assistance you wanted to best experiencing the city, we have on going training and will be sure to make sure the entire team is knowledgeable on the wonderful things the city has to over. Chattanooga is a great city and we hope that you will come back and see us.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I just spent the night for our 10 year anniversary and it was wonderful! The valets were so great when we arrived, it costs $12/day, but well worth it. The checkin went smooth. Our room was on the third floor and was beautiful. The bed and pillows are to die for! They are so comfortable. There were lots of channels on the TV and the Wi-Fi worked wonderfully. We did call down to room service for some ketchup, but we never recieved it and didn't call back to check. The shower has great water pressure, but as someone stated earlier there is a problem with it draining. I was standing in ankle deep water while showering. We had dinner at the Broad Street Grill and it was tasty and a great price. Having a gourmet made to order meal is not intended to be quick so if you want fast food, this is not the place. I will do a seperate review for them. We also visited The Foundry, a cool jazz bar in the hotel. It has pool tables on one side and they had a good jazz band on the other and the drinks were cold. However, they have really slow service. So, if you're looking for a quick drink you will not get it there. It didn't seem too busy but our waitress couldn't handle the few tables she had. She was friendly and we were patient. The free trolley does run close to the hotel so you do not have to walk or drive downtown. We did not eat the breakfast or bunch but heard that both were great. We looked at the food for brunch and were salivating but had to get back home. The 12 o'clock check out was great as well. I will be visiting this hotel again and I would totally recommend it to my friends looking for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Our staff is committed to providing the highest level of customer service possible to our guests, with our goal being the absolute satisfaction of each guest that we host and your comments include things we can celebrate and learn from.
Your kind words about our facilities and restaurant restaurants are thoroughly appreciated. Our Champagne Sunday Brunch is a favorite in town so I encourage you to take some extra time on the next visit to enjoy it.
Not only does the free trolley pick up near the hotel, our city is adding a Chattanooga Bikes program so rental bikes will be located in front of our hotel by the first of August. It will be another great way to explore the city.
Thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope you’ll return to The Chattanoogan Hotel in the near future.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Room and bed were great. Staff was helpful and friendly. For the location and the amenities, the price was good. Pool was small, but in a great location. There was additional room outside the indooor pool in which to relax and enjoy the sun.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the compliments on the staff and hotel an I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the pool and deck.
We look forward to your return visit.
Darien, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked a week at this hotel mainly due to the hotel's boasting of their only 4 star resport in Chattanooga. When you refer to yourself in such a light, you should be ready to deliver.

Upon arriving at this hotel, we noticed the lobby was dark but nicely decorated. We were assigned room 534. Once we arrived at the room we were really disappointed. The furnishings were sort of beat up, the room was small, there was red nail poilsh on the chair, there were 3 tiny drawers to store 4 family member's belongings (2 parents, 2 children). We could also hear other conversations from our room. Not a good surrounding when trying to get your children down for a nap.

I called the front desk to explain our situation and they moved us to a different room and we were also told we would be upgraded to a suite after day 3 of of stay. Great.

Night two the fire alarm went off at 11pm. We were told that a kid on the 3rd floor pulled the alarm. Pretty typical since children were running up and down the halls without supervision since we arrived. This is the type of folks who you will see at this establishment, just to let you know.

Day three, we locked some belongings in the safe. Later that day we were unable to open the safe. The maintenance crew was also unable to open the safe with the hotels' password. The safe was jammed. The maintenance staff's answer was to bring a crowbar and start hammering away. That didn't work. We were told that they'd have to call the mfg for help. The manufacturer was closed on the weekends so we had to wait til Monday. Soooo, we have no pictures of Ruby Falls. Our camera was in the safe, as well as our childrens video games.

In short, while the maint staff called the mfg, the maint staff told the safe mfg that he purchased the safes at Home Depot. Nice. Still unable to open the safe, it had to be removed and drilled open. We were two days without our belongings.

Our toiletries were not replaced daily. I think we had shampoo on only two days. Our sheets were not replaced during our entire 7 day stay. I know this because my daughter fell asleep with lip gloss on on night one and left a small spot on the pillowcase. That spot remained for our entire trip.

Back to the offer of the suite. After hearing nothing further of the move to the suite, I inquired about it. I was told that they have no bed suites, only one bed and a couch that pulls out to a bed. I explained that we'd just stay in our regular room since my husband and I both have bad backs, it would be better to sleep on a regular bed. There was no offer of anything else to compensate us for our troubles. It was take it or leave it.

Restaurant--not a good choice for breakfast. I ordered a waffle one day and it tasted like raw batter. They serve a nice variety but it's the same dang thing every day.

I will definately not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We work to provide a relaxing, carefree atmosphere for our guests and it is clear after reading your review that your experience with us was not of the caliber we strive for. We regret that your camera was locked in the safe and you were not able to take all the vacation pictures you wanted.
Your review is invaluable to us and will be utilized as part of our ongoing mission to improve upon the service we offer. It would be our sincerest pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back so that we may change your impression of our resort.

Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

When I booked the room I was assured that there was a nice spa (there was) and that it was a well rated hotel (it was, for a business hotel), and that there would be no bed bugs (there were), though I must note that the manager stripped the room and there were none the second night, but we were offered no discount or other compensation.
The "wonderful" restaurant was a buffet, the bar was boring and the bartender was surly and looked like he did NOT like his job. We had breakfast the first morning and it was a buffet. We do not like cafeterias and avoid them so we ordered from the menu. The waiter went to the buffet and grabbed my bacon from the greasy, stuck together bin.
We will not be back. We really enjoyed the town, the Hunter museum, the aquarium, and the local food, but we will look for a smaller more service oriented place next time.

Room Tip: If you are going for business it is a great place, otherwise stay at a smaller, more personal place,
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
We at The Chattanoogan take this type of complaint very seriously. The Director of Facilities, Executive housekeeper and Hotel Manager all personally inspected your room after your first night and found no trace of bed bugs. Our hotel has a regular pest control program in place and we have never had an issue with bed bugs in the past.
I remember personally speaking to you during your stay and I am sorry we did not have the chance to turn your visit here into a better experience.
It is my hope that you see fit to give us a second chance to win your valuable business back.
Sincerely, Laura Batchelor
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the Chattanoogan for an overnight, so didn't have a chance to use all the amenities. The service was great - the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The decor was elegant. They have an indoor pool, but it's pretty small, but has a great location on the roof! The kids loved it. Beds were very comfortable and rooms were pretty roomy! Will stay there again next time we're in Chattanooga!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice comments regarding your stay .I have shared your comments along to our staff!
We look forward to your return to The Chattanoogan.

Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My stay was only for one night and after reading the mixed reviews, I didn't know what to expect, but after checking out, I can honestly say that I haven't a single complaint, other than perhaps the nominal charge for self parking, which I'll get to later.

The hotel is easy to locate and isn't far from the interstate. As others pointed out, finding drive-up entrance is a little tricky, but just turn onto 13th street and then turn into the courtyard parking area, which is behind the hotel, when considering its actual street address.

The room was terrific and comfortable. It looked just as it did on the best pictures on the hotel's own website. The flat screen television was quite large, the Internet connection was fast and free, the room had a comfortable yet hip vibe, the bathroom was quite roomy, the towels were big and plush, the beds were great and the pillows (a kind of memory foam) were the best I've ever slept on -- to the point that I'll probably contact the hotel to find out what brand they are.

The bell hops and valet parking attendants at the door were very friendly and the front desk staff was professional and accommodating. They asked if I needed any help selecting a restaurant and when I described the kind of local place I was looking for, they pointed us toward Urban Stack, a hip burger and bourbon joint, that is but a block away and a five minute walk. While the area currently is pretty dead in the evening, new construction and signs of revitalization with new sidewalks and streetlamps, suggest that the area is on the upswing and may be a happening on in the near future.

I didn't use the hotel's restaurant or the pool (which others decried was small), though i did see some families coming back from using it and the kids seemed plenty happy. What I did visit was the hotel bar, which had a live band on weekend nights, something not often seen any longer in hotel lounges. Not only was this a plus, but the band, featuring mostly women, had some talent and was far better than the usual soulless cover band. The bar's decor was unique managing to successfully pull off a concrete floor and minimalist design. While the seating wasn't terribly comfortable, the bar did have a great vibe and while my server wasn't anything special, another male server showed a lot of spunk, often joining his patrons to dance ad he moved to and from tables.

As for the self-parking fee, it's $8.day, which isn't expensive, but doesn't seem worth it given that this hotel isn't in a bustling downtown (and isn't even within what I would consider to be the real downtown area of Chattanooga). At least the Internet was complimentary, which is a big plus for a hotel like this.

Room Tip: Hallways are long, so if there's a problem walking, request one closer to the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
We’re touched that your experience at the Chattanoogan inspired such a beautifully articulated write up. We're so glad you found your accommodations comfortable and enjoyed our plush beds and pillows. Feel free to contact me directly at 423-424-3730 if you would like to find out the brand of the pillows that you enjoyed so much.
We are glad you discovered The Foundry as it is a favorite place to relax with our live music every weekend. We do hope your next stay is longer so that you can enjoy our other amenities as well.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, we do hope you come visit us again soon.

Director of Operations

Been to The Chattanoogan? Share your experiences!