“I didn't want to leave” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast Starting at $1
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Dalton, Georgia
“I didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

My husband and I went to The Chattanoogan for a get-away weekend and it was absolutely perfect.....employees were all courteous and professional, the hotel was upscale, the bed was heavenly, the food was fabulous.....Sunday brunch was absolutely incredible!! It was a great experience and I would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Thank you for being our guest and I am thrilled that you and your husband had a wonderful visit. I will be sharing your comments with our staff; they will be happy to read that you were pleased.

We look forward to your return visit.

Tom Cupo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed at the Chattanoogan from March 23th until March 25th, 2011 on Business. This was my second stay there, the first being last October. The room seems to be a little bigger than a room at most motels/hotels. The room was clean but showing just a little sign of wear. The Breakfast Buffet was good but just a little pricy. The location is OK but on the other side of downtown from most of the action. It wouldn't be my first choice in Chattanooga but is an acceptable alternative. The service was good. The only knock is I don't like the parking arrangement.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it as it helps us become a better property.

Nikro2003
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

A fun experience for our 5 year old who is not used to staying at a "fru-fru" hotels. However, we would not go back again.

Pros:
1) Customer Service (Our only 5-star). Everyone we encountered here is a professional. They hire quality staff.
2) Beautiful
3) Clean
4) Our little one enjoyed the pool
5) Location
6) Great evening restaurant service. The prices are outrageous but we enjoyed our servers..they treated our 5 year old thoughtfully. The dining does NOT cater well to young kids. Be sure to bring some coloring pages to occupy time waiting for meal service.

Cons:

There were some lows, but there is a really big low...Ill give that to you first.

1) The PILLOWS!!! Hard as a rock, neck crunching pillows.They looked good on the bed, but looks are deceiving---these are so incredibly uncomfortable. It was so bad that my husband took a few towels and put them in a pillow case to use as a pillow. I think the pillows are a ploy to get guests to use their massage services. Yes. The pillows ARE. THAT. BAD. I encourage hotel management to take a few of these home one night and see what their guests are dealing with.
2) Small rooms
3) Small beds. I am still having a hard time believing the bed was a king. We sleep in a king every night! :)
4) Over-chlorinated pool
5) The hot items on the breakfast buffet were cold and the cold items were room temp. It was not very well maintained---Serving utensils and holders with dried on food. Warm creamer on the tables-- that had curdled. Eww. ---Again, service was decent. The product was poor.
6) The TV line-up in really poor for a high-star hotel. No guide listings on the TV, the laminated listing was wrong. The channels were not family friendly--2 kids channels. One being CN.

Although this was a good experience for our daughter this hotel does not cater what-so-ever to families. They cater to business meetings, retreats and venuesl. I would suggest a different hotel if you want to stay in the historic district. There are a few chains in the area that are more family friendly---and they couldn't have worse pillows.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
We always appreciate a candid critique from our guests, and I thank you for doing just that. Thank you for the compliments of the staff and our service levels. We take all comments very seriously and are constantly looking for more ways to provide the best service.

I hope we are offered another chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

The good. Friendly staff, clean hotel, nice room. We got a suite with a pull out couch for our kids. The mattress on the pull out was not good, well really it was terrible. We got roll aways instead. Hotel didn't charge me for these because I told them the pull out mattress was so bad.

Pool is nice, although small and gets pretty crowded with all the kids at this place. This place is also a fairly long way from the TN Aquarium and places to eat downtown. I thought it would have been closer.

Workout room is also pretty small for the number of rooms at this hotel, but it is nice and was not crowded.

Room service for breakfast was good, but not good other times.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Thank you for the compliments on the staff and hotel. I am disappointed to hear that the pull out couch mattresses were not to your liking, our Director of Housekeeping is personally checking all of them. On your next visit I encourage you to try the Electric shuttle which is free and runs every 7 minutes, it’s a great way to get around downtown and not have to worry about parking.

Gulfport, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

My Wife and I recently spent one evening here. Check in was a breeze, the staff was very pleasant to deal with. I have read reviews about the rooms being old and dated. They must have renovated recently, our room was exactly what you would expect for a $100 a night hotel. It was spacious, clean, etc... The free wifi was definitely adequate. I was initially a little disappointed that the hotel is right on the fringe of walking distance from the downtown area. While there we learned about the free Chattanooga electric buses. They run about every five minutes and they go right past the hotel to the downtown area. The location actually turned into a plus. Its far enough away that you dont get the downtown noise but with the free buses downtown is only a free 5 minute ride away. Finally, if I had to complain about something this is it... At the end of checking-in we were told that parking was $8 a day and was automatically added to the bill. I dont mind paying for parking, it just irked me a bit that the parking fee was not advertised at any point in time until the very end of the check-in process. All in all the hotel was fantastic and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay. We just finished our room renovations in January and we are glad you were happy with the finished product. The free electric shuttle in Chattanooga is a great “green” way to travel in the downtown area and we encourage all of our guests to try it.
We look forward to your return visit.
East Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

The bed was fabulous. It is hard to sleep away from home and this bed won my heart! The room was very nice with no complaints. Wasn't crazy about the food at the hotel restaurant. Staff were all super friendly. The shuttle service picks up very close so you do not even have to drive to other restaurants.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Thank you for being our guest and your comments are appreciated. We get many compliments on our new beds that were recently installed with our renovation. The staff will be happy to hear you were pleased and your compliment will be passed on to them. I was disappointed that the food in the restaurant was not to your liking and would love to hear from you regarding the specific problems so we can correct them for future guests. I hope you will let us exceed your expectations on your next visit. Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chattanoogan in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

My family and I are about to check out today and we were really impressed. We typically stay at Hiltons, but was not impressed with the properies in Chattanooga and, was concerned about most of the hotels that seemed below our standards. To top it all off, traveling with 5 typically means you need 2 rooms, but not at the Chattanoogan. Great location, clean property, kid oriented enough, enough space in their affordable suites (look at last minute special). If you have stayed away from an over night I. Chattanooga because none of the properties would work for your family, try this place out.

The only con was really the service in the restaurants. The wait staff seem to go at their own pace, but if you relax and set standards for 5 star service, you will be good. If there was a problem, management fixed. Wait staff was very nice, not very quick though.

• Stayed February 2011
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
I was happy to read that you found the property so enjoyable. We pride ourselves on making sure our young guests are happy during their stay.
We look forward to having your family visit us again in the future .

Tom Cupo

Been to The Chattanoogan? Share your experiences!