“A unique experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel
29 Johnson Street, Southside neighborhood, Chattanooga, TN 37408   |
GreenLeadersGold level
“A unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here one night in the private room. The room was plain but very clean. A concrete floor, a bed with linens to be put on, a bedside table, a sink, and a few hooks on the wall. The bathrooms were very clean, only hand soap and towels provided. The staff is very friendly and inquisitive. The atmosphere in the kitchen/computer area is very social and guests hang out with one another in this area and assumedly in the courtyard outside in the warmer months. Definitely stay here if you like to talk and meet new people or if you are into green architecture. I would not recommend this place for couples looking for romance, families with children, or those looking to be pampered. Also don't forget to take soap, shampoo and flip flops for the shower!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Not only is this a great place to stay because of the amenities, but it's close enough to walk to where you want or catch the very convenient city transportation. The staff is also 5 star! Dan shipped my cell phone when I forgot it there. I will definately stay again when I pass through!

• Stayed November 2012
Sidcup, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place is the best hostel I have ever seen (and I've stayed in a fair few) ! The whole place is immaculate and the bathrooms look brand new. The dorms are amazing, they have custom made bunk beds and each has its own lamp, fan and curtain to pull across, so you can make yourself a little den almost! Great security, good kitchen area and even a common area to chill in with computers to use. What really made it though was the staff, who were all brilliant and so friendly and helpful. A special shout out to John who came and picked us up and dropped us off at the Megabus stop, and even waited with us until our bus arrived. Thanks John! If I ever get to come back to Chattanooga I wouldn't even bother looking anywhere else!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Asheville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We shared two lower bunks and had a really nice time. Can't imagine wanting to stay at any other place again. It was like a home away from home in the best of senses. The beds were super comfy, we both slept great. The bread and coffee in the AM were awesome. The fire pit sparked conversation at night. Wifi worked well. Restrooms very clean and i really appreciated the absence of paper towels and napkins in exchange for stacks of folded fresh hand towels everywhere!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Above and beyond what I expect of hostels. Very clean and very secure, with comfortable beds and adequate storage. Note for solo female travelers -- I did not see any other women during my brief overnight stay, and most of the other guests were young men. I was not uncomfortable, but some would be. The staff is interesting and friendly.

Body wash/shampoo dispensers in the showers would be a much appreciated addition.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

If you're in Chattanooga and you don't stay here you're making a huge 'life mistake' that should be featured on every fail blog known to man. This place isn't just cool because of their tremendously impressive green rating, or the hostel's dynamic architecture, but the staff provide the best customer service I have ever experienced in my life.
100% free and unlimited internet access with two computers + free wifi in the building for the price point is impossible to get anywhere else. Do yourself a favor and just book your spot now because any other choice would be utter lunacy.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed at CrashPad on my solo trip from Seattle to NC. I hadn't been to Chattanooga in 20 years, so I decided to take a side route to check it out. CrashPad was awesome. John checked me in and gave me a bunch of tips about where to eat within walking distance. I booked one of the private rooms. It was super simple, as I expected, and really clean. Crazy comfortable bed. In fact, I gotta find out what kind of bed that is as I'm about due to replace mine and that just might be what I need.

The communal space is cool - They have two computers you can use and plenty of space to hangout inside and out. The kitchen is open for all to use. The inside space stays 'open' for use 24 hours a day. They have laundry on site and that was super nice to have. While I didn't stay in the bunks, they look great and all have curtains to block out the light/sound. There were only a few people staying there when I was there, and it was nice and quiet. Also they have a great security system - you use a key fob thingy to get from room to room. So as a woman traveling alone it felt super secure. And I don't normally worry about those things but it's in an area that's being revitalized and some might be concerned about safety at night. Nothing to worry about.

The only bummer was the breakfast. They say breakfast is included, but as it turns out, there was a box of eggs on the counter and some bread. And coffee. So you can make your breakfast, but there wasn't much to it. Although it was damn good bread from an artisan bakery next door.

Room Tip: The bunk beds are probably the way to go - Not sure it was worth spend the extra $43 for a door on t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dan R, Owner at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thanks for your review, Raleighsus! The mattresses are pillow-tops from Corsicana, and yes, they rock.
I apologize for the sub-par breakfast experience, although I'm happy that the quality of the bread was apparent. Per the health department's orders, we're not allowed to prepare food for our guests, hence the do-it-yourself layout (which should've included peanut butter, jelly, and local honey - if that stuff wasn't set out as well, sorry again!). I agree that the promise of free breakfast doesn't really tell the whole story, so we'll discuss changing up our description of the breakfast setup both in person and on our online booking engine.
Thank you again for the feedback. This is how we continue to improve!
Safe travels,
Dan

Been to The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel? Share your experiences!