“great experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
hernando
“great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

we always wanted to take Delta Queen cruise,for one reason or another we never made it,this stay was next best thing.theres alot to do where boat is docked museum,aquarium and many shops and restaurants.great getaway for great price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
chattanooga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

I read all the reviews and some people need to get a grip. First of all the boat only opened in May of this year and I am sure that everything was not perfect the first month. My stay was fabulous. We stayed on the top floor 2 doors down from the "President Carter" room. The evening was great. The staff was wonderful. The room small (its a freakin boat) but historically perfect. I am a history buff and this is a once in a lifestime opportunity to step back in time when people apprecialted a lazy day on the lake. I can honestly, honestly say this is the most relaxed I have ever been hands down. 10stars for Sydney stepping in and trying to save this lovely historical piece of granduer. BRAVO!!! Oh, and the breakfast buffet was superb!! I am goin back the very first chance I can and every chance thereafter. 100 stars!!!

Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

Just returned from a night on the Delta Queen. I was very excited about the prospect of staying on a renovated historic riverboat and reserved one of the most expensive rooms. I was sadly disappointed. While I agree that the staff are nice and very helpful, this is not the "boutique hotel" or b & b retreat that the website and other reviewers suggest. Mostly, it feels kind of shabby and in need of substantial renovations/freshening. I expected a small room - but I did not expect the shabby, old furniture and the smell of mold. I also did not expect to have to kneel to get under the shower head to use the "spa quality" Suave shampoo. The open areas also have not been renovated adequately. And last, the breakfast that was highly recommended by other reviewers has turned into cold cereal, scones, and a bowl of fruit.

Yes, the air conditioning works just fine. And yes, take your earplugs.

Corydon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

I was a frequent traveler on the DELTA QUEEN when she was a "crusing steamboat". The staff on the boat now are doing their best to make sure everyone loves her - as has been her history. If you are a past passenger, nothing has changed except she is no longer crusing. If you have ever thought you wanted to ride on her and couldn't afford it, now is the time to experience most of what it was like to travel on her. Open your mind and imagine what it was like 100+ years ago when steamboats was the best mode of transportation. Live history! She is romantic. Her dock is next to a park with eateries and shops just beyond the park. Chattanooga has so much to offer for sightseeing, but once you get on the boat - you just might not want to leave not even for meals. The dinner and show when I was on in July made it almost seem like old times when you booked passage for a week - dinner cooking aroma started floating up to the cabin deck in the afternoon. The food and service was elegant. The entertainment in the Orleans Room that evening was performed by veteran entertainers from when she was an active steamboat. Couldn't have been better. Then we gathered in the Texas Lounge to finish off the evening with more music and song. Bill and Laura were fantastic!

The A/C is working now for sure. I had to shut my vent! All you have to do is unwind a little. No need for TV or computers. There are games and puzzles and lots of books to read. Or just sit in the shade on deck and watch the river go by. Birds and wildlife abound. My friend and I even saw a mink running along the waters edge. A mother duck was also there with her babies bobbing around in the water.

Do yourself a favor and book a night as soon as possible. Any room is fine. Because it's not about the room, it's about the experience!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
McMinnville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We recently spent two nights on the Delta Queen. We stayed in a standard room-two twin beds on the main floor-room 122. The cabin and bathroom are small-you are on a boat. Since we were on the main deck we could walk right out our door and sit on one of the couches or chairs in the lobby area. I sat out there to read and use my laptop(they do have wifi-you have to get a password at checkin). There are no tvs in the cabins, but we were never bored-sitting out on the deck in rocking chairs was very relaxing-just watching the activity on the river is great. The breaksfasts we had were great-the scones were my favorite-they also had cereal, scrambled eggs, omlets, bacon, fresh fruit, french toast, biscuits, grits, breakfast burrittos, etc-everything was fresh and served hot.

From the Delta Queen we walked to Coolidge Park and then walked across the bridge to the aquarium and the bluff art district. We loved Tony's restaurant in the art district-the lobster ravioli was wonderful.

If you are looking for a unique experience and don't want to stay in regular hotel room, give the Delta Queen a try.

Chattanooga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Dirty rooms. Excessive noise. Tiny rooms. Way too expensive.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

The Delta Queen is located near all of the places you go to see while you are in Chattanooga. The rooms all be it they are small but that is what you would expect are very quaint. The staff is friendly and the interior is done like it would have been in its hay day. I looked at several rooms. The ones that have twin beds in them are very adequate. We stayed in (I think) they called it a suite but it was two twins put together. Bathroom is small but again we are on a boat. I would reccomend this place to stay highly. Also, while there please pay to take the tour of the boat it is very informative.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Delta Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!