“A wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 95 hotels in Chattanooga
Memphis, Tennessee
“A wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

From the time I made reservations, until the time my wife and checked out, our experience at the Delta Queen was a great one! The entire hotel staff was tremendous! The hostess, valet, hotel manager, restaurant manager, bartender, waitstaff, and cleaning staff were all very upbeat and willing to help. The food at the restaurant, both breakfast and dinner, was terrific. If you are reading reviews, and happen upon a negative one, please consider that, yes, the rooms are small, but you are staying on a RIVERBOAT that was probably built in the 1800s. Actually not having the electronic leash (TV) for a couple of days was kind of refreshing. Sitting outside on the deck on an early autumn evening was great! The weekend that we traveled happened to be the last weekend of the River Rocks festival, so hearing some great music was a plus! There was plenty to do on North Shore or across the bridge in downtown Chattanooga. The pedestrian bridge and electric shuttles were wonderful ways to get around. The only time we needed our car was to go to Lookout Mountain. I thought that the boat itself was enchanting and kept up very well. Whoever did the restoration did a truly magnificent job! Our stay at the Delta Queen was perfect one. To all the staff at the Delta Queen, Thank you for a terrific vacation and keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Try the Master, Deluxe, or Captain's suites. We stayed in a Master cabin, which was fine. The st...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

You might call it quaint, but old & delapidated. Up flight of stairs inside with bags,no help, 2 more flights of stairs outside with bags, no help. Room like a closet. The bed was nice, but took up whole room, couldn't even walk around it. No room for a chair, no tv, radio, etc. If this was a deluxe room, I guess the others had bunks. If it rains, you're stuck getting to your car or even down to the lobby! Didn't stay, just too claustrophobic. Not a good deal, too bad we bought a Groupon. We won't be able to give it away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Laurel Fork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here with a group of friends on the recommendation of a local acquaintance. A very difference experience. Would recommend trying to get a twin or bigger room. Our rooms were the bunk bed type and there was no room for anything. Breakfast buffet was very good and the staff, from the parking valet to the wait staff was very friendly and helpful. Parking is a bit confusing but the valet took time to explain the options. DO NOT rely on the water taxi to take you anywhere on time. We found out that it only runs in the evening hours and sometimes you have to wait an hour for it to return to dock to pick you up. The free town shuttles run until 6 pm and after that it would be better to take a regular cab.

Room Tip: Would recommend trying to get a twin or bigger room. Our rooms were the bunk bed type and there was...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Pros: The groupon that I purchased included a two night stay in a standard cabin, "bottle" of wine, picnic lunch, daily breakfast and dinner voucher. The staff is friendly and the food was pretty good. Chattanooga is a great little city and not far from Atlanta. There are many family attractions and great food. The local festival was only a few hundred yards from the boat, so I sat on the deck and enjoyed the music.

Cons: The only reasons why this hotel get a at least a "poor" rating instead of "terrible" is because of the pros listed above. Other than them, I could have easily enjoyed a much better weekend at a hotel in downtown Chattanooga. The pictures on the website are very deceiving. The hotel is definitely not as clean or up-kept as it appears. As soon as I walked on the boat, I could smell the scent of an old home that hasn't had a good cleaning in a while. I stayed in a standard cabin room with my son. I have never stayed in a room so small! We could barely move around! The room was definitely not as clean as it appears on the website and was definitely not clean enough for my standards. You could see slight remnants of mold in the bathroom. I felt like I needed to have on shower shoes just to take a shower....as if I were at a local gym. Disgusting! My 13 year old son could barely fit in the shower. He's only 5'8. We could not wait until we returned home to take a serious soak in the tub. The twin beds in the room were definitely that...no room to roll over or you will fall on the floor. The walls are super thin, so you ca hear full conversations of the neighboring cabins without trying. This was also the reason why I had to call the front desk (from my cellphone because there are no phones in the cabins) at 2:30a.m. because some drunk, young adults were sitting out on the boat deck, extremely loud and disturbing my sleep. The front desk attendant did come and break up the party quickly. The cabins also had the scent of an old home. There is no heat or air conditioning, so I am thankful that it was a beatiful weekend in Chattanooga where neither hear or air conditioning were really necessary. This place is EXTREMELY over-priced! There is no way I would pay the regular price to stay at this hotel, so I am glad that I purchased the groupon. I believe that the bought may be purchased in the near future and moved to Florida. Hopefully this is the case and the new owner will do some SERIOUS remodeling and re-pricing. To say that my stay on the boat was disappointing is an understatement. I love to travel and try new, unique places, but this hotel stay was definitely a BUST! I understand historic does not necessarily equate to modern, but there is no excuse for sub-standard cleanliness.

Room Tip: Do not stay here....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Pros: My girlfriends and I always search out somewhere unique for our annual weekend out. The Delta Queen fits the bill for unique and nostalgic. It's a trip back to another time.
The location is terrific. It's docked right in the middle of everything beside Coolidge park. The boat is beautiful. It's fun to walk around and explore the boat. In the "lobby" they have a seating area that shows a video about the history of the boat. There is also a coffee and tea service located there. The views are terrific. The housekeeping and service staff are fabulous. The breakfast was good. The breakfast staff are very busy so grab them when you see them if you need something. Better than your typical hotel fare. The restaurant food was good but overpriced. They were understaffed and we waited a very long time to be waited on and for the meal to make it to our table.
There is a water taxi for use, however, it only ran on Saturday night.
Cons: It took me forever to reach a live person when I was trying to make reservations. I left at least 2 messages and one email and never got responses to any. The guy working the desk is rude and unfriendly. He was less than enthusiastic to help me when I reported the cold water on my first morning there. He assured me that he would take a look while I was at breakfast but when I reported back to him an hour later he ignored me, initially as I stood there (and yes he saw me), and then when another staff person asked what I needed he told me that he had not gone up to check it out. Then at the end of my stay my bill was incorrect and he was rude about fixing it. It was clear to us that he doesn't like serving the guests.
There are a lot of stairs and no handicap accessible rooms. No room service. No mini fridge. No ironing board.
There is no temperature control. If it's hot you had better bring a fan. There are no thermostats in the rooms. No telephones. The internet is only in the public areas and it's very unreliable. They like to tell you that the rooms are "cruise ship sized" but in reality the standard rooms are half that. If you are claustrophobic beware! The pictures are incredibly deceptive. We stayed one person per room and still felt cramped. There is no way 2 people can be comfortable in their standard room.
The toilets and shower stalls are tiny. The small sink is at the foot of the bed. My friends and I had rooms 318, 322, and 326. The water pressure in both my friend's rooms would just stop mid shower. The hot water was unreliable. In room 318 the already tiny bathroom is cut in half by the janitor's closet. The toilet was so close to the shower that you could not step into the shower without touching the toilet.

There were spiders all along the overhang above the room doors. At one point I swiped a broom from the janitors closet and knocked them down over our rooms.
You do have to pay to park and it's quite a haul over to the boat with all your luggage. The valet service is $15/night.
If you stay here you will be roughing it.

Room Tip: Don't go for a standard room unless you are traveling solo. These rooms are tiny!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Very similar to stayin on a cruise ship, small cabin room with very nice lemon soap! We lived walking downtown and feeling very safe in this beautiful city ! I was so impressed that we were docked beside a park with a lovely fountain and tons of shops! Nice staff! FREE coffee,tea, moonpies and breakfast bar! The night lights are just breathtaking! We both want to return and bring friends! The boat has a self guided tour and

• Stayed October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I had a marriage conference to attend in TN so we decided to stay at the Delta Queen due to many friends stating it was a GREAT place for romance.... WELL they were CORRECT.... The hotel was truly HISTORIC and AWESOME.... We loved the small rooms and the beds were GREAT.... The workers there were also GREAT and remembered my name every time I had to come to the front desk. The restaurant was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME... we LOVED the food and even the Bread Pudding dessert... (and I dont even eat Bread Pudding).

This was a romantic marriage weekend for us. It truly felt like you went back in time and the staff kept the feel of the historic setting... LOVED IT...

CONS: While there were only a few- I had a couple. 1. there was no TV in the room (which worked well for my husband and I who are there for a marriage connect conference) but It could be a problem when you just want to relax and zone out... 2. We were on the main level and the people above us seemed to STOMP the entire night and we could hear it CLEARLY--- not good. 3. The heat/cold rooms didn't do well for me- I ended up sick once I got home from the trip. So, what we think was that the ac is on at all times which was good for my husband- but not so for me... I was cold so I got a small electric heater from the front desk (which was great that they had for the guest). I think due to the cold then hot room I ended up sick. 4.Parking wasn't the best. You must park on the street. If you valet you are good- we didn't so we had to pay for the 2 hour parking while we were there... Over night is no charge which was great- but parking wasn't THAT bad.

That was all. We still really enjoyed the trip and the Hotel...

Room Tip: You must eat at the Restaurant. Its AWESOME!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Delta Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!