“Best kept secret” 5 of 5 stars

100 River Street, Chattanooga, TN 37405   |
Ranked #38 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
“Best kept secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011 via mobile

the delta queen has a great atmosphere. Great place to stay or just go and hang out and let Lee, the bartender, take care of u with ur favorite drink or fix u a tasty surprise. He is great and friendly, as well as, all the rest of the staff.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We had planned to stay on the Delta Queen in the 'crew's quarters' on the third floor: two bunks and a shower/bathroom. When we got there, the hotel had upgraded us to a stateroom, for various reasons. At first, I was so disappointed. But after spending the night, I was so happy they had done it! The bed was the most comfortable I've slept in on a vacation, and I pulled the covers off to see what kind it was! The lady at the desk laughed when I told her, and said it happens a lot. She said one person was even musing about how they could smuggle their mattress out with them.

Aside from that, I loved the Victorian elegance of the boat. Everything is warm, rich wood, polished brass, crystal and stained glass. There's a somewhat unpleasant smell in the entry, but I attribute it to years of food and coffee odors. The rest of the boat is fine, but you do have to remember - it is a boat.

Views from the large stateroom windows are great, as they are from every point outside. On every level there are swings, rockers, places to sit and eat, or to just watch the river. Inside there are grouped seating areas, tables for playing board games, a computer station, books, and many framed items of interest all along the boat. We didn't use the Texas lounge, but it looked as elegant and comfortable as the rest of the boat.

I loved staying here, and since it is so centrally located, would definitely stay there again. We were right by the carousel park, we could stroll around the North Shore shopping and restaurant district, we could walk across the 'people only' bridge to the Aquarium and other points of interest.

Loved it!

Room Tip: Parking after 4:30 is free at the meters close to the boat, so that helps.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011 via mobile

Its a real, 100 year old steamship. Very historical and so much better than your average hotel. But rember its a real old ship your staying on. Very small rooms. The sink is in your room because there is no room in the "bathroom" wich is beyond small. The ship is docked on the North Shore area. That is all new streets sidewalks, buildings, a park, and police. A couple nice places to eat on the main road around the block. The only bad thing was breakfast was a little cold, I think we got there at the wrong time

• Stayed July 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Considering the age of this property and the associated history, I would say our stay was excellent. The staff are extremely polite and courteous. The water front view from our master suite was romantic and relaxing. The bedding and linens were deluxe, and we took several restful naps..... Yes, the powder rooms are small, but I knew I was coming her for a bubble bath soak. The breakfast is adequate and I wished for a larger coffee mug. I had to drink 2 and 1/2 cups to get my regular caffeine fix. The walls are a bit thin and we could hear our neighbors in the hallways, but we were so blissed out it didn't really seem to matter. Come with an open mind and you will have a fun time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Rockmart, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a stay on the Delta Queen Hotel for our anniversary and I can tell you that it was AWESOME!!! The staff was amazing and so friendly and professional. We chose the package that included dinner on the Southern Belle which was also fabulous. The Delta Queen has a charming atmosphere. We spent several hours rocking on deck and enjoying the sights and sounds of the Tennessee River. The Delta Queen has a beautiful restaurant and lounge as well and staying here is like going back in time. I strongly recommend this to couples who are looking for a quiet get away. We loved it so much that I booked another weekend in a few weeks.

Acworth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We had a very lovely time on the Delta Queen Hotel. We stayed in the Master Cabin, which was quite comfortable. The bed, as so many have mentioned, was like sleeping on a cloud. The cabin is at the back of the boat, and there was large deck area right outside, with table and rocking chairs. We brought drinks & snacks, and enjoyed watching all the river traffic go by. And then at 8pm, there was a fantastic concert in the park by the Chattanooga Symphony Orchestra. We were able to hear all the patriotic music right from the boat. This was followed by a spectacular fireworks show.

One of the very nice things about staying on the DQ, was how friendly all the other guests are. Typically at other hotels, everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. But I guess because there is so much common area, folks just tend to reach out to each other.

I did hear a few grumbles about the a/c (it was a very hot day--mid 90's) but our cabin had it's own window unit a/c, so we were fine. No problems at all with the shower (plenty of hot water) or bathroom--it was very small, and brushing my teeth was a little difficult! Towels were nice & fluffy, but when re-hung, there wasn't enough towel rack for them to properly dry--evening's shower to next a.m. shower the towels were still damp. I wouldn't say the bathroom was sparkling and spotless, but seemed clean.

The only thing I didn't like about the room was the fact that the windows were covered by non-removable/adjustable wooden slats, making for a very dark room. I noticed that the cabins on the lower deck had curtain shades that could be raised/lowered. Other than that, the room furnishings were quite pretty.

Didn't check out the lounge, but it looked like it was a happy crowd in there. Breakfast buffet was pretty good. Scones were delicious. Fresh fruit, but very tasteless. Sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, pancakes & french toast. They ran out of bacon.

Check-in / check-out very efficient. Valet parking was well worth the $15, as the park was a zoo for the holiday festivities.

We will plan to go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
LloydDeltaQueen, General Manager at Delta Queen Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Thanks for your wonderful comments! next time you're on board with us, we will be sure to get you a room with curtains and a nice view. So glad you enjoyed your experience on the "Queen"!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Thank you Delta Queen! I had an absolutely fabulous time watching the 4th of July fireworks from your deck. Also, I slept like the dead in one of your super-plush beds and was treated like royalty at every turn! I am definitely going to book a room every time I decide on a "stay-cation"!!

Room Tip: I enjoyed river side.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sounds like you might be planning another visit with us in the near future......we hope so! We do offer a wonderful getaway for our guests....thank you for your response and for the "love it"!

Been to Delta Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!