“A wonderful, peaceful step back into time” 4 of 5 stars

Delta Queen Hotel
100 River Street, Chattanooga, TN 37405   |
Ranked #38 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
Trenton, Tennessee
“A wonderful, peaceful step back into time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Took advantage of a Spring Break Special (that I believe runs through May?) and got the upgraded Queen room and the Standard 2 bed for $99 each. Even though it meant we were going to have to split up for the night, I took the chance that it would be worth it and it truly was.
The valet was a very friendly young man that was right out front waiting for us. I chose to use valet parking because everything else was metered by the park. I really didn't want to wake up to a ticket! The park, by the way, was very, very nice. There were people riding bikes, tossing a baseball and just lying on big blankets reading. It is right next to the docks and I would have taken advantage of it had I known it was there.
My girls are 6 and 7yrs old. Just stepping onto the boat was HUGE excitement for them! The Delta Queen is a piece of history that was fun to learn about. The lobby is small and personal. We took our keys and went through the private door for guests only (again, EXCITED). The entire "hallway" is sectioned with little "living rooms". All the rooms opened up into it. The antiques, carpeting, photographs, all made us feel like we were on a little Titanic. This ole' girl was really something in her heyday and you can certainly tell it. Take time to look at the tiny details in the workmanship throughout. It really is a treasure.
The rooms were AWESOME. Small, as on all ships, but just . . . neat. The Standard Double room was actually a tad larger than the Queen room. But let me tell you, that bed (Room 116) was THE most comfortable one I have ever sunk in to. The pillows just melted under our heads. Even my 7yr old was blown away. If I could have brought that bed, linens, comfortor and pillows home, I would have!
There NO tvs! There are multiple shelves in the "living rooms/ drawing rooms" with all kinds of books, board and card games. After supper, we played til almost midnight and they absolutely loved it! Take time to roam and look at the names on some of the doors throughout the boat where celebrities and even presidents have stayed!
Ate supper on the top deck watching the river go by. Not a huge menu to choose from, but we all found something we liked. "Harry" was wonderful. Breakfast buffet the next morning was included and very nice.
Will definetly stay there again and most likely for more than just one night!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

An original docked steamboat with luxurious but original rooms, great views, incredible service, and a wonderful restaurant and bar. Ask for the Kimi special - she is the friendliest bartender in Chattanooga. The food by the on-board chef is excellent. It is also within walking distance of many of Chattanooga's star attractions like the Aquarium and the Riverwalk. I stay at this hotel often just to get away from everyday worries and woes. This is a magical place like no other.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

My wife and I recently visited Chattanooga as part of a road trip and enjoyed two great nights on board the Delta Queen. The ship is a wonderfully maintained historic stern wheeler, and oozes with the atmosphere of a bygone era. The bar was definitely the place to be at night (open to the public) and seemed popular with guests and locals alike. Centrally located, the DQ is in easy walking distance of numerous restaurants (Try Tony's - just across the pedestrian bridge for superb Italian or Terra Nostra for Tapas, both top drawer and reasonable). The staff were all very friendly and accommodating and our cabin was very comfortable. (Remember, this is a historic ship so you won't find 400 sq ft rooms, but that is all part of the charm). We were very impressed with Chattanooga - it is definitely a great city to visit. And there is no better way to experience Chattanooga than with stay on the Delta Queen. It will be much more than a hotel stay, it will be an experience you will remember for a long time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed on the Delta Queen on March 19th. My husband and I were in room 120 and my parents stayed in room 119, both master cabins. The rooms are very nicely decorated and clean. The bathroom is very Victorian looking. The rooms are small, but to be expected on a ship. We felt so fortunate to be able to stay on such a wonderful piece of history. Our daughter stayed in a bunk cabin. It was very simply decorated. Clean and white. Very adequate for teens or college students. The common areas of the ship are very interesting to look at. Antiques and information about captains of the ship are displayed along with board games of today and bookshelves containing books to read at your leisure. The Delta Queen exudes a comfortable, welcoming feeling in every corner. The staff is very friendly and accomadating. Be sure to make reservations with Deena at Leila's Tea Room located on the ship. Her homemade sweets and savories are undescribably delicious. And her hospitality makes you feel as if you are visiting a good friend for tea. A stay on the Delta Queen is a chance of a lifetime. Don't miss out!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We had an amazing time staying on this historic vessel! Myself and fiance were staying here for 2 nights and it was wonderful. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful directing us to our room. Yes the rooms are small but your staying on a boat that was built in 1926. The beds were super comfortable and i loved all the pillows. There was no tv in the room which was a plus. Who wants a vacation with tv? There was so much to do in chattanooga and the lounge has tvs. We had dinner there our 2nd night and the food was wonderful. The service was great and the bartender was a blast. She gave us the history of the boat and told us what we shouldnt miss; like the steam powered organ by the paddle wheel. We had a wonderful time and will definitly be making another trip back to the Delta Queen!

• Stayed March 2011
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

The boat was beautiful. Glad we got to stay on it, even though it wasn't on a cruise. Be very specific asking about the parking. If you don't get valet parking, there are not a lot of free parking spaces, and the parking lots (unmanned) do not allow you to park overnight. We came back to the boat at 10:30 one night and paid at the lot for "over 4 hours", and the receipt said it expired at 11:59 P.M. There's not one thing listed on the lot that states you cannot park overnight. It says it on the slip AFTER you pay. There is metered parking, but it's only for 2 hours. You can park for free there at night, but you'd better be there and get your car moved before 9:30 in the morning, because they are sitting there waiting to give you a ticket.

The rooms are beautiful. I can't believe all these ignorant people posting comments complaining about the rooms being small. Here's a clue: YOU'RE ON A CRUISE SHIP--ONE THAT'S OVER 80 YEARS OLD, AT THAT!". If you use some common sense about what to expect and not to expect, you will enjoy your stay.

It was great to be able to go out and sit in the library and read in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep, so I didn't bother my husband. The robes they provide were wonderful for that. The beds were very comfortable, and I've never seen so many pillows in a hotel. Yes, our room wasn't completely sound-proof, but I haven't been in one yet that is. Just use earplugs.

Our main problem was confusion checking in. They are really shooting themselves in the foot there. Everyone working on the whole ship were very friendly, but I had read here that several people had problems at check in, and so did we. I know we weren't charged correctly when we got there, but I waited until check-out to straighten it out because they were very busy when we checked in. Also, we tried to use the free shuttle that takes you downtown, and not one person (out of 3) told us the right place to get it. It's as simple as waiting at a bus sign, but we weren't even looking at those, because we thought they were for a regular bus. We finally found where the pick-up spot was when we saw people standing on a corner and asked them. It didn't matter, though, because the bus never showed up, and the other people ended up walking, and we went back and got the car.

I am so glad we got to stay on the beautiful old ship. We did a lot of relaxing and a lot of sight-seeing. If we get back to Chattanooga, we'd stay on the Delta Queen again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

My wife, daughter, son-inlaw, granddaughter and myself stayed here on 1/29/11. We had a great time. My daughter and son-inlaw stayed in the 'Jimmy Carter' cabin. (and no, nobody knocked or tried to enter their cabin)The service was excellent, the rooms were gorgeous, and we all had a great time.
We had dinner onboard, the prime rib was very good. The breakfast the next morning was also excellent.
We booked the most expensive rooms, Master cabins, they were a little pricey. I think you'd do just as well booking the lesser costing cabins as they are not really much smaller in size. The beds are all pillow top with more then enough pillows. The beds were really comfortable and we got a great nights sleep. Bathrooms are small but functional and the water was good and hot.
If Ed is aboard he will give you a walking tour thru the boat and is very knowledgeable about the history of this grand vessel.
And as some reviewers noted, there are no televisions. I dont know about the wireless there because I never opened my laptop. But I cant think of any reason you'd want to hole up in your cabin and watch tv when you are staying on this floating historical vessel. There is much to do right nearby, aquarium, Hunter Museum and many quaint shops.
We will be staying there again, altho in a more modest cabin. We are going to try for an early summer weekend.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Delta Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!