“Clean, but otherwise.....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
Michigan
“Clean, but otherwise.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I'm going to try to write a straight forward review and you can form your own opinions....

We arrived at about 8:00 p.m. on the Monday after Christmas. Myself, husband, my adult daughter and her boyfriend. We used the hotel for 12 hours. This was our 'halfway between our vacation spot and home' resting place.

Location: A bit confusing to find....if you use this property you'll see what I mean.

Upon entering the lobby we were slightly surprised by all the plastic hanging around the areas that were being renovated in the very small lobby area. We checked in and was given a room on the 2nd floor.

Upon entering the suite we were pleasantly surprised by how clean the room, kitchen area and bathroom was. The room/bathroom is extremely dated and very worn but clean (which is the most important factor for us).

We all wanted to take showers after driving for a long time and we were all incredibly pleased at the water pressure in the shower! With most hotels using water saver features it felt great to actually enjoy a shower.

This is where our review starts to go downhill....

Our suite was a 2 full sized bed (they were pretty small, but maybe that's because we're used to queen size beds when we travel and at home?) with a full size pull out sofa. The beds are so old that my husband and I literally sank together into the middle of the bed. Quite uncomfortable. The pillows are "mini pillows" and extremely hard to use.

We brought a laptop and hdmi cord to relax watching a movie before sleep. You have to actually go to the front desk for the remote to the tv. There is a cable remote for the cable box but other than turning on and off the tv you have to get the tv remote from the front desk.

The pullout couch was more than a joke. It was almost an insult. When we pulled it out, the bottom half of the "mattress" was NOT attached to the frame, nor could it be attached as most of the springs were broken. As there was no way to attach the frame we decided to try to put the mattress of the floor and my daughter's boyfriend would just use that. So, we pulled the mattress off and folded up the couch and proceeded to put it on the floor. The mattress was so worn and old that you could not only FEEL the springs in the entire mattress but you could SEE them too! They actually hurt to lay on! It was so late by the time we tried to figure out the situation he ended up using extra blankets from the bed and sleeping on the floor :-(

Breakfast: We went at about 8:00 a.m. Oh my.....cereal, NO milk, juice, coffee, bagels, NO cream cheese, toast, a few yogurts, no hot items. My hubby and I had a bagel plain and some coffee. During our 10 minutes in the very small breakfast room we did not encounter 1 hotel employee refilling anything. There was, though, a hotel employee who came into the room and proceeded to use the telephone to talk to someone for about 8-9 minutes without a hello or greeting of any kind to us on her way in or out. Kind of rude.

Checkout: Upon mentioning the unusable broken pullout couch the female employee that checked us out said, "oh, I guess I need to put that on so and so's fix it list". Checkout seemed fine but once I checked my online reservation once home I found they charged me an extra couple dollars than the reservation originally called for. While it's not a big deal overall it's still not what was quoted.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Anniston, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you want a place to stay in Chattanooga with excellent service that will not break the bank, this is the place for you. The management and staff are exceptional and I have never known of a problem they didn't solve right away.
I have stayed here often over the last few years and have never experienced anything but a very pleasant stay and great service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

MainStay Suites in Chattanooga is a great place to stay if you are in this area. The staff is always friendly and the rooms are always clean and fresh. Just a little off the beaten path but just a short over the expressway drive from all types of restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Greeneville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Excellent staff and management (including night shift). The best place I've been regardless of budget; some "upscale" hotels aren't run as smoothly as this place. Always clean, friendly, efficient, and quiet at night. I can count on getting a good night's sleep here.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Johnson City, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Took my staff for training. Tight budget required budget accommodations. It was clean, spacious, had a good breakfast & a friendly staff. I would recommend for anyone needing to tighten the budget and traveling to Chattanooga.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Weston, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were returning home to Florida on a road trip to/from Michigan and selected the MainStay based on the reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. The room was clean and comfortable, the bedding was luscious and plush and the breakfast offerings generous.
All the staff I spoke with were wonderfully helpful and made us feel welcome. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Everything was great at home till, well, I had to find a place to stay a few days. I wanted a place that I could feel at home, from the room to the staff.

I FOUND IT ALL~!

YES, There are PLENTY of other hotels in the area to choose from, The MainStay was just as good as home... This Staff goes WAY OUT of thier way to make you feel at home. An Inept travler looking for freebes or incentives that watches too much TV talk shows may say different BUT, the staff even called me by name and called to make sure all was well. this is a Great Place to Stay... Alot to do around it, the Mall, Restaurants and it is comfy~!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!