“Descent hotel in a crowded location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 95 hotels in Chattanooga
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Descent hotel in a crowded location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is our second time staying here. It is a nice hotel, but night service can be a little rude, as it was this time. I asked for an extra item and was told it was in the room. I stated I knew that, but based on past experience I knew there was still a need. I was again reminded that there was an extra one in the room and if, after i got in there I still needed it to come back and they would get item for me. ARRGGHHHHH.........really? I wasn't asking for anything that tough, disappointed! Coffee in the room and at breakfast was horrible!! Breakfast is continental, and stale! We ate early!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pompano Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed at this motel around 6 months ago and enjoyed our stay so we decided to try it again when we were in the neighborhood. As with last time the staff was very friendly and helpful. When we arrived one of the lamps did not light and I couldn't turn on the TV. When I told the desk clerk, she asked if she could come to the room to see if she could fix the problem. She crawled behind the bed and found the lamp was unplugged. She then told me some of their remotes required that the operator push the enter button before pressing the power button. She did it and it worked. She tactfully did not point out that there was a note attached to the remote that said to push the enter button first which I hadn't seen. The public areas and suite that we had were very clean and did not show signs of hard use. The decor was tasteful throughout. The wi-fi worked well and the curtains closed well for privacy. The breakfast was good, but not as complete as with their sister Comfort Inn motels. They had make-it-yourself waffles, but a spread, not butter. It was nice that they had a complimentary breakfast since the suite has a full sized refrigerator, two burner stove, and minimal but sufficient dishes, flatware, dishes, pots, pans etc. There are walk in coupons that bring the price of the suite in the range of a regular motel room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

The room clean, the staff was very nice, WE felt very comfortable

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Forsyth, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Clean is right and a priority for us on family vacations. This MainStay Suites met our number one priority, no problems! I had never stayed at a MainStay Suite but it certainly made it helpful to save money and enjoy our time in Chattanooga. The kitchen area was immaculate! We were able to cook in our room for dinner to save a few extra dollars. However, if you wanted to eat out, there are some great restaurants within walking distance.

The staff was really good and always friendly. Because we were only in for a few nights, we didn't see much of the staff. They were helpful at breakfast when some of the food ran out but they jumped right on it. Wouldn't hesitate to come back again or suggest it to other families.

Room Tip: Third floor is non-smoking so be sure to request it if this is a concern.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed here while looking for a new place to live.

As other reviewers have stated, it exceeded my expectations. The staff was very accomodating during our stay. The room was quiet and clean. Guest laundry was available near our room as well (1st floor). Rates are very reasonable. If you book via a travel agency rather than Choice, confirm you have a non-smoking room guaranteed. We booked a smoking room, but the staff was kind enough to change us to a non-smoking.

This is the extended stay brand from Choice. They have some good options for breakfast, including hot oatmeal. Yum. They are conveniently located next to a Texas Roadhouse, and a plethora of other restaurants are nearby on Shallowford Rd/Hamilton Place area, including mellow mushroom, fuji steak/sushi, ocharleys, cracker barrel, and a fresh market grocery. This is really a hidden gem on the I-75 side of Chattanooga. Great price and clean rooms - fundamental to a great stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My company had us stay here for about four months. We loved it and had no complaints. Over the months, many other employees came and went and they all liked it as well. We became friends with the staff, they were never too busy to assist with anything! Randy, Walter, Katie and Deeann are great! I liked coming in from work on Tuesdays where they'd have a meal for all guest. The location is perfect, right next to many eateries; I walked to them sometimes. I felt safe enough to do so. As far as the homeless on I-75, they don't bother nobody. Anyways, this hotel welcomes large groups, and people that travel with their pet. If you're looking for a place, give this one a call, they can give you a good rate, especially for companies staying for a month or more.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I give this a 4 because I base my reviews off of my prior expectation. Obviously a 4 here is not the same as a 4 on the Vegas Strip. That said, I expected a run down hotel, being the Mainstay Suites, and I am about to check out happier than I thought. The location feels very safe, despite being a few blocks away from what I'm told isn't a spectacular area (from the clerk at Bi-Lo). The parking lot is large and well lit.

The room itself is basically a studio apartment, with a full kitchen (except no oven), with a full sized fridge, dishwasher, stove, and even a set of dishes and silverware. The bed was pretty comfortable, and the TV was adequate. Appliances weren't super quiet, and the fridge kept making some kind of clanking sound. The walls are pretty thin, so you can occasionally hear stuff next door, and walking down the hall will give you an idea of what everyone is watching on TV. Breakfast exceeded what I expected. A couple of reviews had said that it was subpar, probably because they expected people to use the kitchens in the rooms, but that's not what I saw. Breakfast included waffles, cereal, yogurt, and fruit (which is more than I can say for some Comfort Inns I've stayed at lately).

Overall, you probably know what you're getting into when you stay here. You're not going to be pampered, and it's not a luxury hotel, but it's safe, acceptably comfortable, and the staff were incredibly nice, so what more can you really ask for?

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!