“Breathtaking views” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 55 Attractions in Chattanooga
Type: Mountains, Outdoors
Activities: Rock climbing
More attraction details
Owner description: This high, wide plateau located on top of a mountain and surrounded by perpendicular cliffs is home to three exciting attractions: Incline Railway, Ruby Falls and Rock City.
Moore, Oklahoma
10 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We took the ariel tramway up the mountain to the top and walked to the park on the point. The views are breathtaking and quite historical.

Visited June 2013

12 attraction reviews
“Really nice visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

When I think of lookout mountain I think of the battlefield at the lower section. The other attraction are on the mountain but more about them latter.. We started our visit early in the morning. The park was closed, but the park employee at the top opened the gate just for us. We walked the top and there are really good views of the city. There is a small museum at the end of the path so if your a civil war freak lick me dont miss it! We went back to the main entrance and the same park employee told us about the Craven House where the actaual battle was faught. So we drove down to the craven house. This is a mountain with winding roads so if your frightened of heights or narrow curvy roads this may not be for you. There is a load to do on Lookout mountain and some free most cost. The prices are kinda steep for Rock City but your on vacation. If in Tenn don't miss this attraction. You'll be dorry if you do. One more thing, the Nstional Park Service has a wonderful employee at lookout mountain. They should keep him. You'll never meet a nicer man then him!

Visited May 2013
Georgia, USA
27 attraction reviews
“Incline Railroad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We wanted to visit the sights on Lookout Mountain, but didn't want to drive. We took the Incline Railroad. I was a cool trip that probably took ten minutes. You travel up the mountain side at a fairly slow pace, reaching a major incline toward the top. I am glad we did it, but probably would not again. When on top, there is an observation deck for more great views. We visited the park (which had amazing views of the city and the river) and people who were dressed in Civil War appropriate garb were giving demonstrations on how soldiers loaded and shot their guns, explaining how he mountain was used during the time. My son is a Civil War buff, so the information was just an added bonus.. Follow the park around and you will see the other side of the mountain views, just beautiful. There wasn't a whole lot to do on top, so we headed back down. The wait was probably about 30 minutes going each way.

Visited July 2013
Missouri City, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Lookout mountain was beautiful and a must see while in Chattanooga. The only negative I can think of is the access to get up the mountain. People drive all over the place.

Visited May 2013
Sarasota, Florida
9 attraction reviews
“Teens loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I thought my teens would complain, but they thought it was beautiful. We went on a very busy Sunday in July. I would have gone earlier in the morning to avoid the crowds. I bought a combo ticket to Rock City and Ruby Falls, but did not like Ruby Falls ( panicked at taking the elevator 260 feet underground). I would just do Lookout mountain if you are the slightest bit claustrophobic. The first part of the walk through lookout mountain is the best. The gnomes at the end are stupid and outdated with hokey glow in the dark paint and black lights.

Visited July 2013