“Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 75 attractions in Chattanooga
Type: Waterfalls, Parks, Caverns/ Caves
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this thundering 145-foot underground waterfall, a natural wonder located on the scenic Lookout Mountain.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Nashville, Tennessee
32 attraction reviews
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Ruby falls is a nice attraction, no question about it, but I think it's overpriced. The Ruby falls tour is very short. You ride down an elevator and then walk a short distance through some caverns. You then get to the falls and your guide turns some pretty lights on and plays some dramatic music. They don't let you linger there long, though. You get about five minutes and then the tour guide turns the lights off and ushers you back the way you came. Yes, it's very fascinating to see an underground waterfall, but it's not worth what they are charging.

Visited November 2012

Grand Rapids, Michigan
37 attraction reviews
“Took too long to see the Falls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Dozens of signs along the interstate should be seen as an indication of a tourist trap. Normally I wouldn't go near it, but this place came personally recommended by a friend. So I made a special trip to see the falls.

I knew there was a fee, but I didn't know that the only way to see the Falls was to take a tour for $18. The tour was projected to last 1.5 hours. Including the time we spent on top of the lookout (which you can't go to unless you go on a tour), it took almost 2 hours.

The tour itself was pretty corny and pretty redundant. They must have mentioned a dozen times about how the original explorers had to belly crawl for hours to find the falls. And they wore out the old "we might get lost in the cave for days" routine. We had to endure countless puns regarding rocks and caves. Whenever a returning group passes you have to squeeze to the side to let them pass. Then there's the rock formations that somebody's imagination has found to look like something. Everything from a fish to an elephant's foot. They are only slightly amusing.

The drama that they put forth when they light up the Falls is laughable. The Falls can't be see in ordinary light. They feel the need to used colored lighting and music to make it more than what it naturally is. Maybe they think people won't pay if it's not presented with fanfare.

I'm not saying the Falls weren't worth the price. I would have just preferred to pay, walk in and see the Falls in regular light, then go to the lookout, and then leave. I would skip the cave hijinks. I went to see the Falls, not a cave. And frankly, I've visited MUCH better caves with far superior formations (Lehman Caves in Nevada).

Now that I've seen it, I have no need to go back. Here's my advice if you're considering it. Be aware of the time commitment. I wouldn't go out of my way for this attraction. I'd only go if I was planning on being in Chattanooga.

Sachse, Texas
“Poor Respect For history”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We Visited On Oct 6 And Were Very disappointed In The Up Keep Of The Cavern. The Tour Groups are Too Large, And The Patrons Have No Respect For Natural Beauty. We Bought A Double Play Package And Saw Rock City First Which Was Wonderful. The Falls Were Beautiful But No One Listened To The Guide To Move And Let Others See Before The Lights Go Off. Never Heard One Word From Our Guide Due To The 3 Screaming Kids In Our Tour. Very Disappointed.

Visited October 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
8 attraction reviews
“Nice and easy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We really enjoyed Ruby Falls. It was a simple, short path with a beautiful ending. We bought combo tickets with Rock City (which was awesome!). Being from Kentucky, it's definitely not Mammoth Cave...but it's worth the viewing. Nice attraction

Baltimore, Maryland
25 attraction reviews
“Super attraction on a rainy day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I were passing through Chattanooga, staying on the Delta Queen Hotel for one night, and we had a few sights we wanted to see, including the view from the top of Lookout Mountain. Shut in by fog, we only got to our first intended stop: Ruby Falls. Our guide Rudy did an excellent job dispelling the weather outside by making the inside come to life. We have visited Luray Caverns VA a number of times over the years, but nothing can top the first view of this Falls. Bathed in colored lights, it was a bit surreal, but awesome nevertheless. It was well worth trudging the distance from the elevator to the falls and back. It would have been nice to stop and gaze at different formations for a while, instead of moving forward steadily except for rest stops. Fortunately, there was little press of people on our day, so we only passed two groups, one going and the other coming.