“Hibachi Fun with Coupons!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Doing business
Good for: Large groups, Doing business
Laguna Niguel, California
“Hibachi Fun with Coupons!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Shogun is a fun place to go out with your family or a group of friends. We arrived a little before our group, slightly before 5pm, and to our surprise they were closed (the open at 5).

In any event... we waited and then when they did open we came in and sat at the bar, awaiting the rest of our party. It took a while (10+ minutes) for anyone to appear at the bar, and by the time they did arrive my parents, grandma & aunt had arrived.

Taking my 91 y/o Grandma anywhere is a bit of a challenge... but Shogun was very accommodating. The escorted us to the first room and first table, which was great for her (and for us... we DID want to eat that night, HA!).

Our server took our order promptly and kept our drinks refilled. The one thing that wasn't offered were chop sticks... and we wanted them... but that's certainly no deal breaker.

When our chef came, we'd already indulged in the soup (tasty) and the salad (dressing is a little sweet... but good, none the less). He started our fried rice (not the best I'd had, but good)... then onto the veggies and volcano, seafoods & chicken and finally steak.

Part of our group enjoyed the 2 Steak & Shrimp Dinners for $29.99 (print the coupon here... but they don't actually ask you for it, just mention it when you're ordering: http://couponclipper.c...). Their portions aren't any different with or without the coupon and the steak (just plain steak, not filet) is still good & tender! I'm a steak snob, so when I say it's totally decent... give it a shot and save $10 bucks!

For dessert everyone gets Spumoni, which is a little strange since it's a Japanese place... but this Italian girl loved it! I miss being in California and visiting Benihana and their, more appropriate; green tea ice cream. YUM! It was also my mom's birthday and they came in with a giant drum, singing... first in English & then in Japanese. They also presented her with a small piece of pretty good cheesecake with a festive umbrella.

For the 6 of us... we had 2, 2 for $29.99 Steak & Shrimp Hibachi Dinners, 1 Filet & Shrimp, 1 Chicken Teriyaki, a side of Scallops, 3 cokes, 1 club soda and 2 bottles of the unfiltered Nigori Sake (totally yummy!) and our bill with tip was just $160. Not bad!

Shogun, considering the alternatives is my favorite Hibachi Grill. My family really enjoys the show and my mom loves the ginger sauce and seeing her food prepared right in front of her. To me, Shogun is a win!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Nashville
“easy place for everyone...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

easy place for everyone to like, entertaining

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook