“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
WI
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This restaurant is new for the Brentwood/Nashville TN area, but is well known in Memphis. The food was great.....some of the best chicken we've had with just a touch of spiciness. The restaurant itself is very 'down home' and laid back, but the staff is fabulous. They were extremely attentive and welcoming. We will definitely go there on our next visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Tenn
“When it's good, it's great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

It's anybody's guess if it will be good food and service on the day you go. If you are lucky, you will enjoy some mighty fine chicken.

Visited November 2012
NE Texas
“Best Chicken!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been frequenting Gus's in Memphis on the trip to Nashville for many years. I was super excited to find out a branch was opening in Nashville and was fortunate to be there on its opening week. Everything here is great, chicken, potato salad, fried pickles, and tomatoes. The staff are super nice! Can't wait until I return in April!!

Visited October 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
“No chicken worth 45 minute wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My family of 5 arrived at about 5:30 Saturday evening. There were a handful of tables occupied and several folks waiting for take out. We were seated right away and my two elementary aged kids were handed some crayons and told that someone would bring them their coloring sheets. They never came and we waited so long for the food that my kiddos actually wanted them. I tried to order a 40 of Coors Light since it was only like 75 cents more than a 24 oz. At least this way I could share with my husband. They were out. We ordered fried pickles for an appetizer - pretty good but at $6 for 6 puny spears they are way overpriced. We ordered the catfish special and the small family platter of chicken. We substitued mac n cheese for the slaw on the catfish platter so my anti-spicy food daughter would be guaranteed something to eat. 45 MINUTES LATER the food arrived. People who were seated next to us within 10 minutes of when we received our food got their food shortly after us. They had maybe a 20 minute wait which is what I would expect. Guess maybe they had to go catch our fish? Anyway, the fish and chicken were both good but my husband felt the restaurant's fryers were overdue for an oil change. (he spent years in various restaurant kitchens in his 20's) The mac n' cheese was HORRIBLE. The baked beans were sweet and spicy - loved them. The slaw is very one note - sweet, sweet, and more sweet. Not a fan. The hush puppies were overdone - dry all the way through. Overall we felt this didn't come close to being worth the $60 we spent so this will be added to our list of once and done.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great spicy fried chicken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The menu is very basic but if you like spicy fried chicken this is the place to go. The chicken is made fresh to order so it does take a while but it is worth the wait.

• Visited February 2013