“good bbq....small place...slow service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Blountville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Avery County NC
“good bbq....small place...slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

we hit this place for lunch. it is rather campy,,, the line to order is between the few inside tables...so your butt is always near someone's face or vice versa...we opted to eat outside. They have an old school bus you can eat in. the only menu was taped to counter and you dont have but a minute to look at it till you need to order....so we both ordered the bbq sammie with fried taters. the lemonade is exceptional. We were told our orders would be right out to us. We waited....we waited....I noticed people who had come in and ordered after us were getting food and yet we were not. I finally ask where out food was..and it came out minutes later with the old standard excuse "the ticket had fallen in the kitchen"

the meat is pulled with no sauce...there is a large selection of sauces. my husband got the 'hot as hell' sauce which he enjoyed, i got the standard sweet sauce. one cute thing...on the walk are red buckets with 'dont litter' on them. you take the bucket with a roll of paper towels, ketchup and bbq sauce out with you to the picnic tables.

All and all its a good bbq place. I would go there again and tell friends to stop in.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Abingdon, Virginia
“Food was good, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Let me start by saying that the food here was pretty good. The Barbeque is pulled style with no added sauce, however they have a nice selection of sauces that range from sweet to tangy to hot/ The meat had the right amount of smokiness and was pulled well.

The sides I sampled were fried taters and onions, baked beans, fried okra, and potato salad. All were obviously made in house and had a unique flavor. Have to give them an all around 4 out of 5 on the sides.

The menu promised 2 "Corn Biscuits" with my platter but my "Corn Biscuits" consisted of a hot dog bun cut in half! I guess they were out of corn biscuits and hoped I wouldn't notice that my biscuits were made of processed white flour and came out of a plastic bag.

Place is very small and we were the only sit down customers there. Our food took a full 15 minutes to arrive which is a bit on the long side for a place that has most things already prepared. I also noticed several take out customers who were forgotten about. The staff seemed very aloof to the situation, causally singing and cutting up in the back until one of them would realize they had customers waiting.

All in all, I'd go back for the food and because of this, I'm hoping the service was just an out of the ordinary experience. If I received the same level of service next time, I would not go back. Would have been 5 stars if not for this.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BLUFF CITY
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Simple, great food and service. Go often. Liver nearby so drop in almost weekly and never disappointed.

Visited August 2012
Bristol, Tennessee
“Great BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

This is a locally owned and operated restaurant. Staff is helpful and friendly. Nice place to order out and take home or take the family and have a nice BBQ dinner...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Hands Down Best BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Dixie outpost has THE BEST bbq in the tri-cities! Buttery, melt in your mouth, yummy, yummy! They offer several different sauces including a white sauce and a mustard base sauce.My hubby swears by the east TN sweet sauce. Try the white sauce and always put an extra pickle or two on your sandwich. All their sides are wonderful as well! The hot dogs are out of this world! Stop buy and eat in the bus! Very reasonable prices as well. We get the family pack with a pound if pulled pork, pickles, four buns, choice of sauce, and two sides for around $22 bucks!

• Visited April 2012