“Average motel with big room” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Yankton
Grove City, Ohio
“Average motel with big room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Pros: Room larger than expected with both an inside and outside door, meaining we could park outside and walk right into the room instead of having to walk through the hotel lobby. Pool was clean and in good repair.

Complaints: Nothing really, it was exactly what I expected.

Overall: A nice budget-friendly place to stay for a travelling family.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
DaveWollmanSr, Regional Director at BEST WESTERN Kelly Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the BW Kelly Inn Yankton. I am glad you found everything to your liking. Please think of us again when you travel to or through Yankton South Dakota.

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
south dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

As i arrived on sat. the lady at the desk was so helpful. Once we arrived to our room we noticed a few things wrong with the room. For starts the room was really chilly and smelled stale. The was garbage under the dresser by the tv, pieces of m&m's behind the door, under the garbage can there was a candy wrapper and lint. Room was dusty and stale smelling. Bathroom was the only good thing about the room. When we left for the evening and later returned we had more issues.
When i called for an extra pillow it took nearly 30 minutes for them to bring it to my room. There was barking dogs, and kids screaming down the hallway, when i reported it was never addressed because i had to go outside of my room and ask the kids to quite down.
When we went down for breakfast in the mornig the breakfast room was filthy but noone was in the room cleaning or restocking items. The muffins,bagels, and donuts were ice cold like they had just be taken out of the freezer. No waffle batter available and garbage cand overflowing and everything was extremely low in product and utensils. When i went up tp the front desk (Jake) was reading the newspaper and when i informed him of situation all he said he could do was call someone to help me out in the breakfast room.
I will have second thoughts about staying there again in the future. There was so much else to say but that is the hightlights also the pool was a big issue which we caould not use.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
DaveWollmanSr, Regional Manager at BEST WESTERN Kelly Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
We at Kelly Inns Ltd. set very high standards for guest service and cleanliness. It is obvious from your review that we didn't meet those standards and for that I apologize. We will use your feedback to train our staff to respond in a timely fashion and insure that our rooms are cleaned properly. Thank you for taking the time to send in a review.
Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

This review is actually for two different occasions. The first time was in April '09 and we stayed in the executive suite.

Room was pretty, bed was comfy, but when we tried to use the jacuzzi, little winged bugs (possibly termites?) came pouring out from behind the tub. They were chased out by the heat and or sound of the motor. We tried cleaning them up as best as we could.

We left and made a mention of it at the front desk. She told us she would make a note to have the problem fixed.

No big whoop. Sometimes, these things happen and we give the establishment the benefit of the doubt.

Not any more.

Since then, we have relocated to Yankton. My parents came for a visit and stayed for a night the week before Independence Day.

They left before 7 the next morning. They were COVERED with bites, saw roach-like bugs and my father actually killed one. He filled out the complaint card and placed the dead bug on the card. The coffee pot wasn't cleaned, either. And I know they have a cleaning staff, because when I stayed there in April, they spent a good half hour talking loudly and smoking outside of my door and window. Yummy fragrance to wake up to, let me tell ya.

Anyway, corporate contacted my father and offered him a 25% discount the next time they stayed. Dad pretty much said, "You've got to be kidding. We won't be staying there again. I don't even want my money back, we just wanted to let you know how our stay was. It wasn't very good."

So much for the bug problem being taken care of. Sheesh.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
BWYankton, Manager at BEST WESTERN Kelly Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2009
Thank you again for bringing your experiences at the Best Western Kelly Inn to our attention. Again, please accept my apologies and my further assurance that if you give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves, we shall. We have been in contact with our pest elimination provider and we are working towards an adjustment in our monthly program to prevent such occurrences again. We have passed all of our Best Western Inspections over the last 13 years based on high scores in housekeeping, maintenance and customer service.
Sioux Falls, SD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

My family and I booked the weekend retreat with two other families in back in January. We arrived on Friday afternoon to enjoy the pool. We liked the layout of the pool area...easy to keep an eye on the kids from the hot tub. However when it was time to get out of the pool, there were no towels. This was a recurring theme all weekend. I went to the front desk to request towels...waited 10-15 minutes each time as there was one person staffed, always on the phone. The second morning, housekeeping stopped in and informed us they had no record of us staying more than one night and that if we wanted to stay at the hotel, we would have to move to an upper level pool side room (we booked a pool side). After some negotiations, we were allowed to stay in our room. All 3 of our kids broke out in rashes from the chemicals in the pool on Saturday and were pretty miserable. The breakfast area was standing room only (way too small for the hotel capacity). Many people were taking breakfast back to their rooms, but there were no trays to make that easier. This happened both mornings. Breakfast did have a nice variety and was good quality. On Sunday, housekeeping stopped in and again told me that we were to leave. Our weekend retreat meant that we would be able to stay until 6:00 on Sunday evening. After more negotiations we were allowed to stay. To top it off, we were overcharged. I called back Monday to complain and they refunded us $30. I give them credit for that. Everything seemed like a hassle however. No one ever cleaned our bathroom on Saturday or picked up any wet towels the whole weekend. We did manage to have a nice time with our friends despite the problems. Our kids loved the pool!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
DaveWollman, Regional Manager at BEST WESTERN Kelly Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2009
Thank you for bringing to my attention your experience at the Best Western Kelly Inn. Although embarrassed by the circumstances that have been related, I appreciate them being brought to my attention so I could investigate and take appropriate corrective action. Receiving comments from our guests is one of our most important sources of constructive feedback. I hope the correspondence you received from our General Manager met with your satisfaction. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will give us another chance. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one.
South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

We stayed at the Kelly Inn while attending a wedding at the hotel. We booked a second floor 2 room suite. It was a roomy suite. We had a livingroom with a kitchen area. We had a large bathroom. There was a large closet by the front door. The bedroom had a king bed. It had a balcony off the bedroom and livingroom area. The older kids could swim while we sat on the balcony and watched. It was nice so we didn't get wet from the other kids swimming. By being on the second floor it kept people in the pool area from looking into our room. Overall it was worth the money spent and the kids loved the pool area. The pool had a slide and a few other things. This is one of the few hotels we've stayed at that has a kiddie pool seperate from the regular pool. That allowed our 1 year old to play and use the kiddie slide.

• Liked — Space in our room
  • Disliked — the younger-college freshmen at check in
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Genesee, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

This was a great hotel for a stopover. Our rate was $86 on a Wednesday night for a king room with no advance reservations. Our friends with children also stayed there in a room next door. Both rooms were newly rennovated and very nice.

CHECK-IN
Nice lobby area, check-in was quick and easy. Our room was on the first floor and they had one door going into each room from the outside so could just park right in front of your room, and then another door on the inside so could also easily access the lobby/halls/pool area from the inside as well.

ROOMS
Our room on first floor was fairly spacious, very clean, tastefully decorated with nice neutral fabrics on the upholestery, new furniture, comfortable bed, clean carpet.

King bed, two side tables, desk, dresser with average size TV (Cable, large selection of channels), table with two chairs, and large cushioned chair with ottoman.

Other amenities were iron/iron board, free wireless (worked great), coffee maker, hair dryer.

BATHROOM
The tub looked a bit dated, but shower pressure was fine. Large counter space with sink. Soap, shampoo and conditioner for products.

POOL
The indoor pool area was great for little kids. They LOVED it. There was a regular pool with a large slide and some other water toys like mounted "water guns" to spray at each other.

There was also a small shallow pool for the little ones with a little slide and a good-sized hot tub. Hot tub was plenty hot.

There was also a game room and excercise room with a few machines.

FOOD
There is a restaurant on property, we didn't eat there, but our friends who arrived later had room service that was delivered to the pool area. Everyone said the food was good.

Free continental breakfast off the lobby was fairly extensive with juice, coffee, milk, cereal, assortment of bread, muffins, waffle maker, and fresh fruit.

All in all, we really enjoyed our night here.

• Liked — Nice Rooms, Indoor pool area
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

I am originally from the Yankton area, and in it's heyday the Best Western was the best hotel in Yankton. However, my husband and I were VERY disappointed in our August, 2007 stay. First of all, I was quoted a price of $89 on 4 different occasions. When I checked in, I was notified that our room would cost $109. When I explained that I had called 4 different times to confirm the $89 price, the front desk clerk was very unapologetic. Realizing that I was getting nowhere, I proceeded to check into our room to find that it was VERY hot. I turned on the air conditioning unit, but it never cooled down. We returned to our room 3 hours later and it was just as hot. They ended up taking the entire air conditioning unit out of the wall, and putting in a different one. It finally worked and was very cool. I am surprised that a previous post said they didn't have any hot water. The water that came out of our bathroom sink was so hot that it scalded my hand! It was steaming almost as soon as it came out! I complained to the front desk (again) and all they offered me was some Neosporin. I called their customer service the following week and they said they would forward the complaint on within the week. Two weeks later I called to check on the complaint and they had NO record of it! I was very upset and they took my complaint AGAIN. So shortly after that I received a letter from the hotel manager. I guess it was their way of apologizing by giving me a refund for the difference I paid and what I was quoted. The rooms are also very outdated and the entire hotel needs a makeover. The only thing it has going for it is the great restaurant next door.

• Disliked — Poor customer service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BWYankton, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Kelly Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2008
Since your visit to the Best Western Kelly Inn back in August 2007 we have completed renovations on the porte-cochere giving the hotel a new and updated look. We have also replaced all room carpeting in both the first and second floor rooms. Over the coming year we also have some small projects planned that will add new life back into this property. Our staff takes pride in providing clean and comfortable rooms for our guests. We have passed all of our Best Western inspections over the last 12 years based on high scores in housekeeping, maintenance and customer service. It is a delight to have Minerva's Grill & Bar located on the Best Western Kelly Inn property, making us Yankton's only full service hotel property.

Been to BEST WESTERN Kelly Inn? Share your experiences!