“Great Place. Great Service. Great price.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunshine Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wall
Sunshine Inn
You added Sunshine Inn to your Saves list
608 Main Street, Wall, SD 57790   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Wall
“Great Place. Great Service. Great price.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was my 2nd stay. I chose to return because of the owner. He is a great personality and host. The service is so good I really felt like I was returning as a friend and not a guest. I was given a board for my motorcycle kick stand when I arrived. I was even provided with all the necessities to clean and dry my motorcycle. The location is superb. It is within 1/2 a block of Wall Drug. The room and amenities are excellent. Everything is neat, clean and well maintained. I will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Manteno, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

As other reviews state, this is a very basic motel. It had everything you need: Beds, drawers, TV, clothes rod, chairs, table...But no frills: not even pictures on the walls. It was very clean, cozy and neat. The beds and pillows were comfortable and we slept very well. All of that was well worth the unusually low price for our room. The icing on the cake that made this a perfect review was the service provided by John. We felt like VIP guests in a 5 star hotel. If you are in the area, stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thanks so much for staying and calling attention to our value-orientation. Basic we are, and basic we will continue to be. I believe we do "basic" well. Our rooms are designed for maximum efficiency, and as you note, they are clean, cozy and neat. Our regular replacement rotation insures comfortable, supportive beds, and our cleaning and maintenance staff are the best in the business. I couldn't have been more pleased to be able to provide you with the best service possible--and believe me, my customers are VIPs, every one of 'em! We're proud and delighted by your unequivocal recommendation and certainly hope we'll get to host you again. Meantime, best wishes for great traveling on the roads ahead. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Inn (which is really a motel in fact) for two days while exploring badlands NP; all accommodation inside the park were booked (and were very pricey anyway). We therefore decided to stay in Wall and picked the Sunshine Inn - we're glad we did!

Location: you will be hard pressed to find a better location for your night(s) in the area. The inn is literally a block away from Wall's major attraction, ie Drug Wall. Other bars and joints are within a few minute walk. There's also a convenience store located 5' away. The North entrance of badlands NP is ~15' away.

Cleanliness: this is the cleanest motel I've every stayed in. No typical musky smell; everything was well cared for (clean sheets, clean bathrooms, no dust anywhere). Motels can be hit or miss, and this one hits the mark.

Affordability: excellent pricing, triple A discount, and discount if you mention that you've looked up the inn on internet. For the comfort, and the location, this is very appropriately priced. Not to mention, coffee and sweet rolls are available for pick up at 6:30 or so...

The owner is very nice and well traveled (originally from SoCal I believe) and cares for his property and the well-being of his customers; this clearly shows and it makes the inn a top place to stay when the lodges are overcrowded in the park...

Bottom line: affordable place to stay while visiting Badlands with top location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thanks so much for the unequivocal recommendation, particularly for breaking down our qualities into cleanliness, location and affordability. I believe those are the three components of value that so many of our customers appreciate. That I make an effort to get to know my customers and share experiences and knowledge of this beautiful place I call home with them is a special treat for me. That you made the effort to call attention to our commitment to friendliness makes all of us here at the Sunshine Inn feel pretty special. We most certainly hope you'll return. Best wishes for great travels down the road!
Viroqua
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Nothing fancy. The lady who checked us seemed to care less that we stopped. She was not unfriendly but not friendly either. This is a very basic motel (not even an alarm clock). The price was right I suppose but it was pretty basic. It was convenient for us and close to Wall Drug (which we think is way over rated). It was pet friendly and we slept well. Would we stay here again? Not sure but I think we'd look for some place with a few more amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Sunshine Inn and taking the time to reflect on your experiences here. Though your commentary is ambivalent, I believe that it touches on some of the qualities that generally get good to excellent reviews here on TripAdvisor. As you note, "the price is right," we're "convenient" and "close to Wall Drug". We have some "pet friendly rooms" and you "slept well." We appreciate those observations. I regret that you didn't check the list of available amenities on the information stand on your credenza, where you would have seen that an alarm clock is but one of numerous amenities that are available with no charge by calling the office. We happily deliver them to your room on request. By all means, should you stay overnight in our area again, I urge you to check around and compare us to other motels. We're confident that we can't be beat in terms of price and value--and would happily host you again should you return! Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Looking for value? Look no further. This is the place. We were in Rapid City, on our way East, looking for a place to stay. Everything was crazy expensive. We decided to push a lil farther down the road. We saved over $100 with that decision. This place is amazingly clean and comfy and the service is awesome. I definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2013

Thank you for making the extra effort it took to finding us and staying here. Your observation about value "says it all." We work extra hard at maintaining high standards of cleanliness and comfort. Great service just goes with the rest of the mix. Thanks so much for the recommendation. Certainly hope we'll see you again sometime. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)
Shorewood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

we recently took a trip to yellowstone with our grandkids, on the way home we stayed in Wall to visit Wall drug and stayed at the Sunshine Hotel. From check in to check out it was really nice.
I am somewhat of a hotel snob, but the room was clean, comfortable and quiet and the price is amazing. They definitely are doing something right here. Within walking distance to Wall and the kids enjoyed themselves even though there was no swimming pool. If ever I am in the area again that will be a stop for me.

Room Tip: back rooms away from street
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for the nice comments. Groups with children are at a big advantage when they stay at the Sunshine Inn because of our short distance from the world famous Wall Drug Store, which is less than a block away on Main Street and very easy for families to visit, both as groups or individually, with everybody going back and forth easily and quickly. No need to pack the family and friends into a car, only to deal with parking and the cumbersome demands of loading and unloading . That you found your room to be an "amazing" value only adds to the pleasure that we had in hosting you. Best of luck with your further travels, which we hope will wind back our way again sometime. We'd certainly love to host you here again! Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)
Manteca, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Clearly Mark Twain must have met John, the owner of the Sunshine Inn. Though there was thunder and lightning just outside the door, within was the peace and warmth the inn’s name implied! While on vacation with my mom and our friend, our plans took a detour and we ended up in Wall, SD. I was nervous about finding a place to stay, but unnecessarily so. I walked into the office of the Sunshine Inn and John took it from there. He was friendly and helpful and didn't bat an eye when I asked if I could see the room first. The room was clean, the beds were comfy, and the price was right--what more could you want? Hankering to walk around Wall Drug? Great--it's just down the street! Interested in touring the beautiful Badlands? Perfect--it's about a 10 minute drive to the entrance (which is perfect for catching the sunrise/sunset colors)! Looking for great conversation? Excellent--head to the office and John will be ready with it! I hope to visit Wall again and, when I do, you can bet I’ll be staying at the Sunshine Inn!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the kind personal remarks, We try to maintain the friendliest face possible here at the Sunshine Inn and gratefully appreciate any feedback that calls attention to our efforts. Sharing information and ideas about our home region is the real fun of our business. It's easy for us to maintain a confident and cheerful bearing here at the Sunshine Inn because we're so confident about our rooms and the value we give to our customers. As you note "the room was clean, the beds were comfy, and the price was right." Add to that our list of available amenities and our complimentary orange juice, sweet rolls and coffee that are available every morning at our "Quick Start Nook" in the office, and we think that the value and comfort at the Sunshine Inn can't be beat. Your visit and your more-than-gracious comments here are a pleasant experience for us. We certainly hope you come by and stay with us again! Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Been to Sunshine Inn? Share your experiences!