“Stunning location with excellent food and friendly staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Borrowdale Gates Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added The Borrowdale Gates Hotel to your Saves list
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grange-In-Borrowdale | Keswick, Grange-in-Borrowdale, Borrowdale CA12 5UQ, England   |
Halifax
“Stunning location with excellent food and friendly staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

The food on both evenings was outstanding and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
We have stayed previously at the Borrowdale Gates and were impressed with the improvements made in the bar area and believe that there are further improvements ongoing.
Having taken our Norfolk Terriers we enjoyed stunning walks right from the Hotel doorsteps- no need to move the car once you arrive.
This hotel has become our favourite place to stay in The Lakes and was just the break we needed to recharge our batteries- can't wait to stay again.

Sally and Bobby Sprott

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
west yorks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Excellent service. Where have they found all these pleasant and polite young people! Nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and could not be faulted. It is worth paying the extra money for a room at the front of the hotel. The views are spectacular. The public areas were warm and welcomimg with several open fires. This was one of the best breaks I have had in the UK for many years.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Whilst in Grange on Wednesday 3rd March 2010 we decided to try the Borrowdale Gates Hotel for dinner - especially as the sign outside assured us it was "open to non-residents".

Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by a manager who seemed to look us up and down unashamedly assessing our suitability to enter the restaurant. Being a family of a 79 year old (my father) at one end of the scale, and my 32 year old Fiancé at the other; we must have passed the test.

We were shown to a bar set amongst some sort of artwork classroom with junk scattered all over the place. The carpets along the corridors to the toilets seemed to be covered with dustsheets and the place was obviously going through some sort of decoration. We ordered some drinks (unbeknown to us at that time that they were around 50% more expensive than the nearby pub) and the barman scowled when we helped ourselves to a nut or two that were on the bar obviously for those invited and special guests to nibble - that didn't include us.

We were then handed a menu that had no other choice than a 3-course table-de-hote dinner for £34.50 per person. We didn't want 3 courses but the waiter growled back in a "that was a really silly question" way that the price was the same whatever we had.

If I wasn't with 3 other people (one of which my highly respected father) I would've walked out right then but, alas, I couldn't and we went through with what turned out to be the most expensive meal of the whole trip for the worst selection of food!

This hotel is clearly a pretentious, judgemental, old-fashioned establishment where overall value for money just isn't an influencing factor in visiting it. If you’re not a local or not in the "click", don't go. You'll spend a fortune, be completely disappointed and wonder why, oh why didn't you just drive on by to the far more realistic and better quality establishments within a stone’s-throw.

Lesson given - take it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Gloucester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

On Tuesday 6th November I decided to complete a circular walk starting and ending in Keswick. I noted that I could have a coffee stop at The Borrowdale Gate Hotel which would be at the half way point. Sue, the receptionist made me feel very welcome despite the fact that I was wearing full walking gear. I covered my boots with plastic bags and then was shown to a cosy lounge and enjoyed my coffee and biscuits. I even had the opportunity to enjoy a chat with a couple who were also walking. I then used their toilets which were spotless before leaving to continue my walk feeling suitably refreshed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Borrowdale Gates Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Borrowdale Gates Hotel

Address: Grange-In-Borrowdale | Keswick, Grange-in-Borrowdale, Borrowdale CA12 5UQ, England
Location: United Kingdom > England > Cumbria > Lake District > Borrowdale > Grange-in-Borrowdale
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grange-in-Borrowdale
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:4 star — The Borrowdale Gates Hotel 4*
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel is set amidst the breathtaking scenery of the Borrowdale Valley, the "loveliest square mile in Lakeland", according to Alfred Wainwright (MBE). Close to the shores of Derwent Water in two acres of woodland in Grange near Keswick, this is an ideal situation for walking, climbing, and touring the Lake District direct from the doorstep. There are many places of literary and historical interest within the local area. This beautiful family owned and run hotel has undergone a real transformation since 2008 with a full refurbishment completed in September 2012 to earn its current four star AA rating. With elegant contemporary rooms, a rosette award winning dining room, cosy bar and lounge, guests are assured of a warm welcome to enjoy stunning panoramic views during their stay. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your The Borrowdale Gates Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Borrowdale Gates Hotel

If you own or manage The Borrowdale Gates Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.