“Buffalo Chip= <3” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Buffalo Chip Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sturgis
Buffalo Chip Campground
You added Buffalo Chip Campground to your Saves list
20622 131st Avenue, Sturgis, SD 57785   |
Granby, Colorado
“Buffalo Chip= <3”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was privileged to stay and party and the Buffalo chip Campground for the 2013 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. I was there a total of 2 nights and 3 days with 3 of my good friends. We tent camped with very little belongings and few possessions on hand- boy is that the way to go! With clean laundry facilities, sanitary and 24-7 supervised bathroom and shower facilities (there are many...look for the supervised clean ones!), many different and diverse vending options, and cheap booze right there at your finger-tips, why not travel light? Though the Campground dos not allow you to bring in any outside containers, they do offer lot's of different options at more than reasonable prices- HOLLA! My friends attended a total of 3 concerts while there- Brantley Gilbert, sublime, and Lenyard Skynard. Each concert was way above my expectations and truly blew my socks off. Over-the-top crowds, a great venue, an even better atmosphere and very reasonable prices. My friends and I were able to wiggle our way about 5 rows from the stage the first night and up to the 2nd row the next night- INCREDIBLE. Some of the hidden bonuses for Sturgis Motorcycle Rally? Free pancake breakfast, tons of daily entertainment, and a non-stop party. I highly recommend Buffalo Chip- I know we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
SturgisBuffaloChip, Family at Buffalo Chip Campground, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We're privileged to have such a nice review. HOLLA! ha ha. And COME BACK we miss you already. -Daymon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Steinbach, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent the day on our Sturgis rally trip. We made the mistake of getting there for 10 am. Let me tell you, the night before must have been rough because there was no sign of life until after noon. Once things started happening around 2pm things started a turn for the better. It is a touch costly, we were $63 a person for the privilege of entering the grounds, however, come 6:30 the place becomes a mad house. We ate at Porky's BBQ and let me tell you, come hungry, we had a 18 oz pork chop that was one of the smallest avail. The tattoo cafe was great and we received some great work at a resonable price. On set was Machine Head, Mastedon & Rob Zombie. You have never experience a concert like the Chip experience. The end of sets is greeted by cheering and bike revving. I believe 3 was the number for rampant bikes accidentally going off in gear through the crowd. Needless to say, when you hear a bike start up, make sure your not in front of it. The music was great and the sound quality loud and clear. The amplitude of the crowd really got you into it. We saw freestyle back flips, the wall of death, unidrags but somehow missed the midget bowling. Hill climbs were around the corner, as was high caliber shooting range. I use the term around the corner loosely as everything was a bit of a hike.

The chip is an experience that should be taken in by anyone that does the Sturgis Rally.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. It's nice to read about your genuine surprise and dellght with your experience. Glad that you had a good time. - Daymon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

This was my 14th year staying at The Chip. Here are the reasons for my poor review:
1. Charged the guy I rented my motorhome from $130 for two one day passes to drop off and pick up motorhome at the campsite. The guy was on property a total of 2 hours!!!
2. Upon entering, over $200 of liquor was confiscated and destroyed.
3. The Buffalo Chip authorities would not let us conduct our "annual" wet t shirt contest unless we purchased a $500 permit from Meade county.
4. Woody, the owner, says "this is a Bikers Campground with few rules". Not anymore! This is a concert venue with camping and $5 beers.
If you are looking for a Biker Campground, look elsewhere - this isn't the place!

• Stayed August 2013
SturgisBuffaloChip, Family Member at Buffalo Chip Campground, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Wow. Our apologies for your negative experience. It sounds like a couple of our staff made some obvious mistakes. Please know that during the rally we are available onsite to help resolve any situations if they arise. It's certainly a little surprising to wait until you're good and gone to find out about all of this. We spend so much time and effort inviting people, that we'd never intend to treat anyone rudely.

1. It is our policy to charge those who enter the campground because we have no idea of knowing when someone's story is legit, however in this case I would have personally escorted your motorhome delivery guy in and then back out had I been granted the opportunity.

2. The gate should have informed you that you could pick your liquor back up on your way out. A number of people did. South Dakota law mandates that all liquor consumed on a licensed premises be sold by and purchased from that on-sale licensee. The campground is licensed. Accordingly, the Chip asks campers not to bring alcohol and, if they do, to check it at the gate upon entry. It has been a policy since we got our license back in 1995, it's just that this year we had a former law enforcement officer running the gate. We will make more efforts to ensure people are aware of the SD law and our obligation to respect it.

3. This is absolutely surprising news to us. We like bikini contests. We like wet t-shirt contests. If you could, please find our contact email on our website and tell us who told you this, when, where and at what date and approx. time and what the person looked like. We will address this in our staff meetings immediately. Had we known about this during the rally we could have actually helped make this event happen.

4. As was mentioned to another person: The Chip exists for one reason - to host bikers for about one week each year. There's no business in the world like it, and no family run business that is more dedicated to working all year long making improvements to enhance guests' next rally experience and to ensure there will always be bikers, a campground and a party at the Chip.

We will continue to try to get it right for everyone. If you ever find yourself back at the Chip please do not hesitate to address any issues with us directly while you are there.

- Daymon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Love the chip. They have the best concerts... awsome after parties.....i'll be the guy on the camo 850 polaris atv giving rides to each of the parties. The porta restrooms are not good but you can buy a pass for hot showers and clean restrooms which is worth it. Location is great. Just out if town right next to full throttle saloon.
If you want quiet find another camp ground this place parties tilk the early morning...sleeps a couple hours and starts up again.

• Stayed August 2012
Thanks, Glad you had a good time. If ever you feel anything needs to be addressed, please feel free to contact us directly. Come on back. - Daymon
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

In a world where excitement and adventure has everywhere taken a backseat to safety and comfort, throwing your gear on the back of a motorcycle and heading out on the open road is the last truly wild frontier. There are very few places that we can travel and experience true adventure. At the summit of mount Everest you have to take a ticket and wait in line. Scuba diving in the pacific has become a sport for grandma and the kids. Every year, my wife and I make the pilgrimage to the Chip. The road is always undefined. We have battled scorching heat, near blizzard conditions, spent three days in the pouring rain, been blown to kingdom come. We have had more than our share of motorcycle problems that have stranded us on the side road – And I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It is the last bastion of true adventure.

When we arrive at the Chip, tired and dusty, a giant towering steel sign signifies the end of our journey “Welcome Home Bikers,” it reads. This large sign streaches up into the sky and crosses the entrance to the Chip. This sign is symbolic of the campground’s overall philosophy – “go big or go home.” Everything at the Chip is big – concerts, food, beer - all over the top. It also symbolizes the owner’s true commitment to his campers. Woody and his wife are the owners. I’ve never met them – some day I hope to. They are not the wild crazy partying type that you might expect. Instead, Woody is a quiet, thoughtful, kind man who stays away from the public eye. You won’t see him soaking up the attention on the stage as the concerts fire up at night. Instead, he is the quiet mastermind behind the scenes making the chip a better and better experience. Most importantly, he has walked the very delicate line between constant improvements and keeping the place wild. And by wild, I don’t mean what you might think. I personally hate the “wild” craziness of spring breakers in Daytona. Drunken sloppiness. You won’t find that at the Chip. When I say “Wild,” think “untamed.” This is not to say that the Chip isn’t safe, (in 15 years, I've never seen a fight or lost any of the gear I leave in my tent when I'm out riding) but it isn’t a Disneyland ride with tea cups and adventureland pirates. Don’t’ get me wrong, I love Disneyland, it’s a great place for my wife and I and the kids, but the Chip… Well its grownup time. LOL.

So what is it like? First, think adventure. Real adventure. (also think "earplugs" if you want to sleep at night). If you are the type who likes to plan everything out – up every morning at 7, breakfast in the nook, take the kids to the pool, boxed lunches to go. Well, again, this aint Disneyland. Think real. Every year we have gone to the chip was different. One year the wind blew so hard it snapped our tent poles in half, we barely made it home from a ride, soaking wet to find our tent in tatters and our sleeping bags soaked. My wife and I spent the entire concert that night in the laundry, listening to the rhythmic sounds of the Blues Travelers over the constant hum and thumps of the washing machines and dryers. . The refrains of “Oh, once upon a midnight dearie / I woke with something in my head / I couldn't escape the memory / Of a phone call and of what you said / Like a game show ...” The laundry room, filled with fellow campers, transformed itself that night into a bunker of kindred souls. As the music played, we passed a bottle of rum around and joined the band at the choruses. A moment that stuck in my mind forever. Whenever the song plays today, my wife and I smile in remembrance and say “remember when…” Are you starting to get the point? The Chip is not like a regular campgound. So don’t rate it based on bathrooms (Ok, that’s a whole nother story – hint, figure it out. There are times and places for a good shower and a clean stall), and “amenities.” It’s about adventure. I Have been going to the chip for 15 years. By day, I am the CEO of a medium sized corporation. I have countless duties and responsibilities. Once a year, I turn in my phone and head to the Chip. Notice, I don’t say “head to Sturgis.” Now hear me clearly on this – I love going to the Chip. The rally I could take or leave. Sturgis has become everything the Chip hasn’t. It’s massively commercialized. Think of your local "Pioneer Days" street fair on steroids. Thousands of venders from all over the country occupying every square inch of town. If you like t-shirt shops, meat-on-a-stick, yogurt stands galore, this is the place for you. Not for me. We will head into Sturgis probably only twice on our trip. “Gunners” is still authentic and down the street is a great little place for a cheap, cooked-to-order breakfast. I won’t tell you its name, there’s a half-hour wait as it is. Ask the locals...

Of International note: A new phenomena has developed. In the same way that world travelers journey to Pamplona for the Running of the Bulls, the Sturgis Rally and the Chip have achieved worldwide recognition. Large groups now fly in from all over the world to rent motorcycles on the coast intent on making the journey to the rally. As a result, throughout the “city” of 30,000 people staying at the Chip, there are now small “towns.” The Canadians have camped next to us for 10 years. They keep talking about a “rumble,” but you know Canadians... That's just the beer talking. Eh? LOL. We stay at a place called “Sweater Vest Hill.” You won’t find it on the real map, but it is close to the pond. Across the creek is Canada. The Canadians create a bridge with clear demarcations for when you are entering their sovereign land, decorated with Molson cans and, or course, maple leaves. Last year we rode with about 20 bikers from Germany who stayed together in “German Land,” where the songs about the Fatherland lasted well into the night. My wife met a bunch o soccer hooligans from Venezuela who spent the day with us on our Caribbean Island in the middle of the lake. Get the picture. It’s about adventure, meeting new people, experiencing new things. If you want somewhere with nice amenities, find a Super 8 for $250.00 per night during the rally.

On a final note, consider the price – all of this for a week for under $200.00?! What a deal. And they don't jack up the prices on food or drink to make up the differences. Notice I didn’t mention the concerts. That’s because they really are extra. They are a bonus. You pay to stay, the concerts are free! Don’t compare campsites by who is playing where. It doesn’t matter. I’ve seen some amazing bands there. I’ve seen average bands that have absolutely rocked at the Chip. It brings out the best in them. Who would have thought Billy Idol could have brought the house down? Again, treat the concerts as a bonus and be open to seeing them in a greater context. I’ve loved watching Kid Rock (and I’m far from his demographic), Poison and Toby Keith, but I gotta say that a cold beer on a hot summer night in front of the small stage at the end of the evening was even better. Take a chance on a no-name band from Wichita playing their heart out to twenty people at 2 in the morning with a cold beer in your hand – then you’re getting it. This is what the journey was all about. And who knows, you might catch a few bars from someone like Carolyn Wonderland – bar none, the greatest blues concert I ever saw -from ten feet away on a stormy night in the buffalo chip campground, sitting on my Harley with a gorgeous babe at my side. Suddenly, my daily life is worlds away. It’s not Disneyland, but If you can understand it, enjoy it. Cherish what's left of the wild west. Hop on your bike and go screaming into the night with the sound of thunder and the wind in your hair, your girl on the back and remember what its like to be free. In the name of litigation, sanitation and regulation, the Chip will probably someday turn into the next KOA. Until then, enjoy Woodie's hospitality, a cold beer and a warm night - then you'll understand what it is like returning home every year when you pass under that giant "Welcome Home Bikers" sign. The Chip is truely something special. Go now... Someday it too will be gone when the insurance people and the entertainment corporations move in and get it all fixed up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
SturgisBuffaloChip, Director of bar operations and showcase entertainment at Buffalo Chip Campground, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Wow. That review literally gave some of the crew goosebumps reading it. You're words give light to some of the very reasons we exist. Visitors deserve more than the just the status quo, they deserve unique experiences that satisfy their intense desire to feel alive. Thank you for all of your well spoken words. And we look forward to seeing you in August.
Grand Rapids
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The answer is YES! It was emanating from the restrooms. Those facilities at the Buffalo Chip may have been the worst I have ever been too. There was toilet paper and liquid feces covering the entire place. Everyone going in and out of there would either cover their mouths or try to hold their breath. Even if you didnt hold your breath the stench coming from this filthy place would take it away. It was the single thing about the Buffalo Chip that ruined the trip for me. The rest of the time was amazing. I got hammered almost every evening and the parties would last till the early morning. I'm not sure if they dont have employees to clean the bathroom, or if the employees were drunk and didnt care, either way somethings needs to change.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Well, we're glad that "the rest of your time" was, as you said, "amazing", but we regret and apologize that you had a bad bathroom experience. We do hope that we can do better for you in the future. Please contact us directly so that we can find out specifically what outhouse you felt was neglected and approximately when you were there so that we can be sure to address the issue better for 2013.

Just to clarify, we do indeed have a full time staff of about 75 people that is dedicated solely to cleaning the toilets and showers day and night. As you can imagine, it's an utterly thankless job that very few take the time to actually appreciate, but the crew is proud of the constant efforts they make and will strive to do better. Please let us know so that we can continue to improve and serve you better.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Chip a few times and love it. We missed a couple years because my husband had a heart attack but have returned. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. My husband is a disabled vet and has always been treated with the utmost respect. He very much appreciates the tributes to the troops. The flag raising is awesome. We aren't big party people but always have a good time. There is always something to do there. My son( who is twelve) cant wait til hes old enough to go to the Chip. Thanks Woody

• Stayed August 2012
We're happy to hear you have such a wonderful time and that you appreciate the military tributes. They are dear to our hearts. Thank you so much for your kind words and support and we thank your husband for the service he has given us all.

Been to Buffalo Chip Campground? Share your experiences!