“Awesome experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Spearfish
Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast
You added Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
938 N. Ames, Spearfish, SD 57783   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Spearfish B&B and Inns
San Onofre, California
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had never stayed in a B & B before, so my boyfriend took me the Secret Garden when we were looking at Spearfish to move to!!! This place has ruined it for me for any other place! Rochelle, Beverly & Mr Wilson were so friendly & hospitable! The hot tub at night was perfection, too! We stayed in the Rose Room...very comfy indeed! The breakfast was heavenly!!! Thank you !!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at Hidden Garden Bed and Breakfast on a quiet treed street in Spearfish 2 weeks ago. It is perfectly located within a minute or 2 drive from a large grocery store and pharmacy, and under 5 minutes walk to a variety of excellent coffee shops and restaurants. We had the balcony room and it was a wonderful place for a late evening cold drink, and for breakfast coffee before the wonderful breakfasts in the garden. The front porch was a quiet and breezy place to relax (with a garden swing and big chairs) after a day of touring the wonderful attractions of the northern Black Hills. The bed was fabulously comfortable!! Beverly and her daughter Rochelle who together run the Bed and Breakfast operation are warm friendly people , and the resident poodle Mr Wilson, has excellent manners . The price was very reasonable-I have paid half again as much for a place like this.

Room Tip: We had the Balcony Room and loved it-the balcony faces north so is cool in the evening! but if you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Maybe it was the heat, maybe it was being too busy, but our visit here was disappointing. There's an old wicker planter right on the porch at the front door, empty and in need of replacement, there are scattered yard implements outside. Breakfast outside was accompanied by far too many flies. I think the staff, while certainly friendly, is overwhelmed. We won't go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I have stayed here for several months on business. The owners, Beverly and Rochelle are two of the nicest people you will meet. The bed and breakfast is spacious and charming. The rooms are cozy, but spacious and the beds are really comfortable. They make an amazing breakfast. I could not have asked for a nicer place to stay! It is also in a great location, with access to hiking and outdoor activitites in Spearfish Canyon and an easy drive to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Custer.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Dover, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Secret Garden is a delightful B & B! The home is so comfortable and inviting. Beverly and her daughter, Rochelle, are amazing women who make you feel welcome and at home. Their breakfasts are astounding! They could not be more accommodating. The best surprise is Mr. Wilson, Beverly's standard poodle, who is the most amazing dog (almost a person) you would ever want to meet. Secret Garden is also in a great location, with easy access to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, and incredible hiking trails through mountains and by lakes. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Wonderful Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stumbled upon this b & b because there were no rooms left in town when we were accepted at the last minute to the Festival in the Park. This was one of the best things that has happened to me in a long time, the perfect stay for a overworked, overstressed business owner. The other reviewer that complained of things not being clean must not have stayed at the same place. I have been known to have 'OCD' tendancies but I still cannot figure out what they were talking about. I found this place warm, clean, fun, and everyone had outstretched arms. We loved the girls and Mr. Wilson and the meals made me feel like I was at Grandma's house for the weekend. I like to hear people's history and the girls sat and visited with me and were so accomodating that I couldn't imagine a cold, sterile, hotel making me feel that way. I loved the rooms, the service, the breakfast, the ambience, the hot tub, the berry bushes that we were encouraged to help ourselves to, the herb garden, the privacy, the massive grape vine, the fountain, the gazebo, the vegetable garden, etc, etc, etc., too much to list here, and just the old world charm that seems to be vanishing before our eyes. I have traveled extensively and stayed at many hotels but I have seriously re-thought how I want to spend my time AFTER the business part of the day is done. Thank you for a wonderful stay and see you next year!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

Our experience (my wife, five year old daughter and me) at Secret Garden exceeded our expectations. We had just come off a rough night in Colorado and we really in need of rest. We were greeted warmly at the front door, by Beverly and Mr. Wilson, her very friendly (kid friendly, too) large poodle, immediately shown to our wonderful suite and offered a glass of very cold lemonade in the garden. The bathroom was impeccably clean, as was the kitchen (I checked this out, as I'm a kitchen junkie). We arrived prior to check in, which wasn't a problem. Beds were very comfortable and we slept like babies, choosing to use the air conditioning although the nights cooled off well.

Beverly and her daughter, Rochelle, prepared an over the top breakfast both mornings we were there, which met the needs of both adult and child tastes. Always served with a smile.

This is an historic home which Beverly opens up to her guests. I note that the other reviewer believed that the property was in need of a deep cleaning, with which I disagree. This properly is clean and we chose it specifically because our five year old daughter was welcome. Other B&B's may be more pristine, but they also carry a "no kids" and "no touching" attitude, unlike Secret Garden which says "come, enjoy and rest."

Our only challenge, now, is finding an excuse to return to Spearfish so that we could stay there again. (And, Spearfish is an excellent "home base" to explore Rushmore, Devils Tower, Deadwood, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park and more, by the way).

Enjoy your stay at Secret Garden.

Doug and Charlotte
Indiana

• Liked — Welcoming attitude of Beverly and Rochelle
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!