“Central location, great value.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of All Star Travelers Inn

All Star Travelers Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spearfish
All Star Travelers Inn
You added All Star Travelers Inn to your Saves list
517 W Jackson Blvd., Spearfish, SD 57783   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Spearfish
Brookings
“Central location, great value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here twice on our trip both to and from our destination. Clean, quiet, and totally functional room. It was somewhat smaller than today's new motel rooms, but if you need a place to sleep as a traveler( just what their name is) what more do you need. We stayed in places that cost many times more on our trip, granted they had more amenities, but we found the beds very comfortable, even more so than the expensive places. Dave and Roxy were very helpful with their knowledge of the area. Right next door there are three very good choices for eating. We have stayed in many other motels in Spearfish and the All Star Traveler is every bit as good for 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Break away from the national chain brands and give this a chance!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Desarae B, Front Office Manager at All Star Travelers Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We strive for great customer service, and we thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again if you are ever stopping through.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Wish I had taken pictures, our room did not look like these. We had a double queen room, directly across from the office. After a long, hard day of traveling and pushing the pedal down, we got here and checked in. Price was as quoted when I originally contacted them in January. The girl at the desk was nice and helpful, suggesting some good eats. We walked in the door and found the room to be very clean. There was a newer hardwood laminate on the floor, and obviously the rooms had been refurbished. The bathroom was small with the sink outside, but with large counter space and a spacious mirror. The beds were perfectly made, with all the right tucks and folds. Pillow top mattress was a comfort. My husband was a little upset that the room wasn't cooling off, but he did fess up to being cold during the night. Although it was tight moving around with our luggage and other traveling needs taking up floor space, we were quite comfortable. Water pressure in shower was good and the water remained the temperature during my shower. An added bonus was the recommendation of Sanford's Pub & Grub, on the hill behind the motel. Menu is HUGE and it took us awhile to figure out what we wanted to try. I tried the Bahama Mama sans the curry seasoning. Excellent sandwhich. So.......not the luxury spa/suite resort but with comfort, cleanliness and price, AllStar Travelers is worth checking into.

Room Tip: We were two doors down from the road and didn't hear anything. Not sure room location is a fact...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your review. Over the last few years, we have been refurbishing the rooms. We will be updating photos soon. Thank you again for your comments.
Glendive, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I booked a room for two nights at the rate of $53.00 per night. The girl at the desk screwed up when I checked in and only charged my card for one night, when I brought this to her attention she said, dont worry they would take care of it the next day! Well they did that allright, they charged me $74.00 for the second night! I found all this out when I got home and checked my cards statement. When I called them they said they would striaghten it all out. When all was said and done THEY OVER CHARGED ME BY $22.00 I do not recomend this place at all!!!!
OH and by the way they they never cleaned the room either!!!! Also I never saw any continental breakfast cause they dont open the lobby untill 8oclock in the mourning

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My family and parents stayed there one night during our balck hills vacation. The rooms were clean, and comfortable. The prices were very reasonable. The indoor pool and hot tub area was great way for us to relax at the end of the day. The continental breakfast was simple yet fresh and tastey. If you are wanting a nice place to sleep and save a little money stay here. The location is easy to get to. I would definently stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

My wife booked this hotel by mistake, thinking it was the Travelodge just up the street (to her, the name was similar). We come to Spearfish often. This hotel, although older, was one we never considered before. The price seemed reasonable, so we gave it a try.

We booked in advance, but when we arrived, there seemed to be some confusion about our reservation. We initially went to the Travelodge, but they didn't have our reservation, and directed us here, saying many people made this mistake. And a "mistake" it was to spend even one night at the All Star.

The hotel had a strange mural painted on it, which was a precursor for what to expect inside.

Our room was tiny, and although it seemed impossible, the bathroom was even smaller. My wife likes to bring lots of bathroom cosmetics, toiletries, etc. with her, so I got to hear her complain endlessly. You can be sure I booked the hotel reservations from now on.

We could hear a couple next door arguing as the walls were very thin. We needed to use the air conditioner to circulate some of the air as the air in the room was stale so this drowned out their conversation.

The furniture and the mattress seemed very old and made noise, as if they got it from a garage sale or chose it from someone's garbage. There was an old invoice or paper in the nightstand from June along with a half-eaten muffin, so the cleaning staff was far from thorough. Hard to believe since the hotel did not seem busy.

My wife didn't sleep at all that night, and I admit that my sleep was not very restful because of the mattress.

We have stayed in worse properties, but for Spearfish, this hotel was one of the worst. Our normal hotel, the Super 8, was booked solid, so we cancelled the remainder of our reservation rest of our stay at the Travelodge just up the street. For a few dollars more, the stay was much better.

The only good things I can say is that the location of this hotel made it easy to find, and there were two very decent restaurants a short walk away.

Spearfish is a wonderful town, especially for people who like the outdoors as we do.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Just about everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Duluth,Mn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

I couldn't find reviews on this motel prior to our vacation, so I took a chance.

We had 4 families-- 3 in 2 room "family suites", 1 in a room with 2 doubles.

This motel is older, and they have been trying to sell it for about a year. Thus, they have not updated it , which is what makes it "ok", but there were things that needed updating/repair.

One of the family rooms had a newer-looking bathroom, but their air conditioner did not work, so they were very hot. The windows open to a bunch of trees and brush, so not much air comes in.

The other 2 family rooms were adequate for what we paid in comparison to the other hotels in Spearfish, and especially for the size of our family (7). We had a 2 room suite-- one with 2 double beds, and one with 1 double bed. There was only one bathroom, however. The room was clean but felt "dingy" because of the really old window air conditioners, heaters, and refrigerators (but the refrigerators were full sized, which was a plus!),old windows, and older furniture. It was not so bad that we wouldn't stay, but it definitely needed updating.

Some of the rooms had paneling, which made them seem really dark, but others had white textured walls.

There was free wifi, and the pool looked newer and clean, albeit small. There was continental breakfast of cereal (malt -0-meal brand raisin bran, honey nut o's, etc.), milk, sunny delight, coffee, toast, peanutbutter and jelly.

The gal at the front desk when we checked in was very helpful in answering questions about attractions and restaurants.

Overall, if you just need a place overnight and are not expecting new and sparkling, you'll find it adequate. If you don't like "rustic" and old appliances, you'd be happier elsewhere.

• Liked — value for size of room
  • Disliked — old (almost antique) appliances and furniture, etc
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2005

SUNDAY, AUGUST 21
Bozeman, MT to Spearfish, SD
We are on a 3 month road trip crossing Canada & USA from West to East.
We stayed at the All Star Traveler’s Inn [$59.40USD with tax and senior discount]. Check in was fine, room OK. Tiniest bathroom I have ever seen. One ceiling corner had cobwebs. TV, A/C and bed OK. Walked to dinner at Shoot the Bull Restaurant. Happy Hour was 2 for 1. Special was Bourbon marinated sirloin with garlic rub. Even for a garlic lover like me, it was too much garlic! BBQ pork ribs was a better choice, but laced with what tasted like commercial Bull Shot sauce, $32USD with tax and tip. Staff were friendly and attentive.
Next Stop: Rapid City, SD

Been to All Star Travelers Inn? Share your experiences!