“Rustic, not for everyone, but perfect for many like us?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canyon Gateway Motel

Canyon Gateway Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spearfish
Canyon Gateway Motel
503 Spearfish Canyon Rd, Spearfish, SD   |
Ranked #13 of 15 hotels in Spearfish
Hilliard, FL
“Rustic, not for everyone, but perfect for many like us?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Patty has a really nice little motel. It is clean, comfortable on a scenic drive so lots of motorcycles to see. There is a Bar & Grill two doors down (good drinks, ok food) It is away from the noise of the rally but as close as any for riding anywhere. I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed August 2012

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Arlington, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The motel is better than a camping cabin at a State Park but not as good as a Super 8. It had a shower, sink, toilet, tv, and small refrigerator which a camping cabin does not. It needed to have soap, shampoo, and rolls of toilet paper provided!. The room also needed to have a desk chair and more electrical outlets.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with the "guys" this motel will probably be okay. However, if the wif...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

TERRIBLE experience! While the room seemed quaint and cute when we first got there, the ac window unit was so loud that we couldn't even hear the tv. The place advertised ad having free wifi but we were given no password and after several attempts to contact the owner, I still had not password and no ability to turn in my school work. Then the proverbial poop hit the fan. We began seeing bugs everywhere. Flying, crawling, we kept smashing them but it seemed like for every one we killed three more took its place. After killing over a dozen and seeing large spiders crawling out of the woodwork we decided we would not be able to sleep there with all of the bugs. I left another message for the owner letting her know the issue. I called her again in the morning to discuss things with her but she had not gotten any of my messages. I explained again and when I mentioned bugs she screamed NO! And ended the conversation. She would not take any further calls from my number so I had my travel companion call. Se did the same to him she. He mentioned bugs. This lady is crazy and I would never stay in her facility again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Katy, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We arrived late in the evening, after driving all day from OKC. Needless to say, my friend and I were both exhausted. We were called by the hotel manager earlier in the afternoon, letting us know that the room would be unlocked and the key would be on the table, as she would be unavailable for part of the evening. When we finally arrived around 1030 pm, we found a very basic, but rustic room. The room was cooled by a very noisy window unit AC. The hotel stated that they provided free Wi-Fi, which was very important for my friend as she is taking online classes and needed access to the internet during our stay. When trying to connect, we found that we needed a password to do so, which was not provided. It was becoming evident why we were able to get this room for only $49/night when most other hotels in town were going for at least twice that rate. As the night went on, we began noticing bugs in the room. At first, it was just one or 2, but then we kept seeing more and more, eventually killing at least 10-15. The last straw was when we saw a large spider crawling into one of our suitcases We made multiple calls to the hotel manager, all of which went unanswered and unreturned. We made the decision to leave the hotel around 1am, knowing that we would be unable to sleep. The next morning, my friend called the hotel manager to find out if she had gotten our messages. She said she had not, but almost immediately went on the defensive when we started telling her about the problems which were encountered. As soon as she mentioned anything about the bugs, the manager screamed "NO!" repeatedly into the phone, said that she would be charging us for the stay, and hung up on her. I then called back from my phone, only to have the exact same thing happen. If this is the way that she runs a business, I wouldn't expect this property to be open much longer. If you find yourself in the Black Hills, do not waste your money at the Canyon Gateway Motel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Seminole, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was a terrific place to stay. Just minutes from Spearfish Canyon and close to town. Property was very clean, well maintained, and quiet. The owner (Patty) was very helpful and friendly. She has only owned the property for about 6 months and is remodeling the rooms, they are very nicely decorated. The price is very reasonable. We stayed there for 8 nights. It had a kitchenette with a full size refrigerator and microwave (no stove) we had a grill on the deck to prepare our dinners. Satellite TV in the one room. If we ever are in that area of the country again, I will definitely stay there.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Spearfish, SD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

This motel is at the mouth of Spearfish Canyon. The caretaker is very helpful and if
you have any problems she responds to them immediately. This is very affordable and
the rooms are being up-dated. There is a restaurant right next door and the location is
quiet. There is a walking path close by and a creek right behind the motel. I can look out
the window and see deer and wild turkeys. I rent my room by the month and find it to be
affordable and would definitely recommend this motel to others.

Room Tip: The rooms are being up-dated. I stayed in the fireplace room and loved everything about the room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed here in early September, which was after the rally chaos. This motel looks nice on the outside and is right near the Spearfish Chop House (great steaks). Inside the motel we found the rooms really basic and in need of many updates. The beds were rock hard, and after a long day of riding, seemed to aggravate an old back injury from long ago. Shower water pressure was really bad, and it quickly went between hot and cold. These little annoyances really added up and made us feel disappointed with the place. The manager was nice enough, but for the price, I would expect a little more.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Canyon Gateway Motel? Share your experiences!