“Family Wedding in Spearfish” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orchard Creek Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spearfish
Orchard Creek Cottages
Save Saved
You added Orchard Creek Cottages to your Saves list
514 Mason Street, Spearfish, SD 57783   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Spearfish
Scranton, Iowa
“Family Wedding in Spearfish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

16 people descended on poor Mark at Orchard Creek Cottages for 4 days, he was up to the task though. Saturday morning we all decided to have breakfast at one cottage Mark was gracious enough to offer us more pans for cooking and a toaster. The cottages are clean and very nice with comfortable beds. After 4 days of Mark's hospitality we had to leave and when we were packing up Mark came out to tell us goodbye and thank you for coming. He even called each one of us by name. You won't find that at any motel. I plan on going back out and staying at Orchard Creek again as they have ruined me for motel/hotel stays. The cabins are in a beautiful, quiet area and close to Deadwood and Mt Rushmore. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mark M, Manager at Orchard Creek Cottages, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Iowan's are great! Thank you for staying with us! Mark

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My 25 year old grandson and I spent one night at Orchard Creek Cottages, but I wish we could have stayed a week. It is a wonderful “home away from home”. We had a two room cabin right next to the office. We were greeted warmly and by name when we first walked in the door by Mark. Mark is the Owner/Manager/Handyman and greeter and a very nice, warm guy. It’s worth staying here just to get to know Mark, who is a retired Air Force veteran.

Our cabin had a bedroom with bath off it and a combination living room/dining room/kitchen with a futon couch/bed where my grandson slept very comfortably. The queen size bed in the bedroom was also comfortable. The kitchen had a full size refrigerator, a four burner electric range and a small microwave. A medium size, cable connected, flat screen TV was in the living room area.

One of the greatest features of Orchard Creek Cottages is the grounds. Well landscaped lawn in back of the cabins with a large creek running by that made me wish I had brought my trout fishing gear. The cabins have a small front porch with lounger type lawn chairs in which it is a pleasure to sit and enjoy an evening cigar and visit with the neighbors.

One nice touch is that your cabin has a combination lock (no cards/keys to lose) which is pre-programmed to your phone number before you arrive. Another is that they have free bagged ice and Mark invited us to fill our cooler before we left.

I not only would stay here again, I would go out of my way to go through Spearfish so I could. I would recommend the Orchard Creek Cottages to anyone.

Room Tip: Our cabin was nearest the office and we loved it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I told Mark that we would be back the following year because we had such an amazing experience, and here was are 1 year later. We just got home from our vacation and of course our stay at Orchard Creek Cottages didn't disappoint one bit! Mark is so wonderful and friendly. You immediately feel welcomed and at home. Our cottage was so wonderful. It was clean, well kept, and had all the comforts of home. I LOVE that these cottages have kitchens. It is nice not to have to go out to eat for every single meal and I get to save money. Spearfish is such a wonderful town and it is near all the attractions without being in the middle of all the touristy stuff. Once again I give Mark and Orchard Creek an A++++ rating. Thank you again Mark for everything and we look forward to seeing you soon!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Upon researching places to stay in the Black Hills, I found this to ranked #1 in Spearfish and it sounded perfect for our family, so I e-mailed Mark about availability and he responded quickly and I completed the entire booking via e-mail.
The cottage was perfect for our family of 4. The bedroom had one bed and the living room had a futon. The dining area/kitchen were part of the living room. The bathroom had a stand up shower. It was all very clean. We did not cook any meals, but we found the kitchen with full sized refrigerator a bonus for storing drinks and snacks. There were gas grills in the yard that you could use as well as bags of ice to fill your cooler! The also had free wi-fi and cable tv!
All in all, the perfect place to come back to after a day of being a Black Hills tourist!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Found this place on a website comparing all the hotels in Spearfish. It was at the top for positive reviews, and from the first phone call, I could tell why. Mike the owner is so personable, you have the instant feeling he honestly cares about you as a person more than merely a client. He made sure we did not need to research hotels any further. When we arrived, unfortunately much later than we hoped, he was waiting up for us and made sure we got comfortable. The accommodations are in little cabins, fully furnished for people who want to stay multiple days and even cook their own meals. The structures are a little dated, but the owners clearly care for the facilities and keep them up. This is a place that deserves its excellent rating and invites you to return! Travel date: August 13, 2013.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stone Mountain, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife found out about Orchard Creek for us to stay during the Leading Ladies half marathon and her travel-planning instinct is usually great. We quickly fell in love with the accommodations and the location. It's clean, comfortable and quiet. The owner, Mark, was very helpful and generous with all our questions and helping us with a bike rental conundrum. The common areas tables and swing were perfect for our morning breakfasts after a run and dinners using one of the several grills. The 2-room cottage had plenty of room for the 2 of us, but it could easily fit 2 more. We took advantage of the full kitchen and bought groceries at a Safeway just a couple of miles away. Orchard Creek is adjacent to a cool creek and a paved trail that goes on for miles, ideal for riding bikes and running. There are 3 parks within a mile of the cottages. Spearfish is central to many attractions. We hiked Devil's Tower, rode the Mickelson Trail from Deadwood, plus visited Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, Custer City and several saloons in Deadwood. While it was just the two of us, we observed several families and their kids who also enjoyed the 1/2-acre grassy area between the cabins where the kids could run around without a lot of traffic around. We'd definitely come back here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
thankfulmomof3
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

After researching numerous towns and places for my three kids and I to stay on our annual family vacation, which this summer was to Mount Rushmore and Devil's Tower, I settled upon Spearfish SD and the Orchard Creek Cottages as our home base for this trip, as it was just a short drive (approx 30-45 min to Devil's Tower and 45-60 min to Mount Rushmore) to the two main attractions that we were planning on seeing. I also liked this location because it was not in one of the major touristy locations, like Rapid City. Spearfish is home to the Black Hills University and it has more of a feel of a smaller metro college town, like where I am from. Orchard Creek Cottages had the best reviews on Trip Advisor and for good reason too! Mark the owner/operator has these cottages immaculate and they are located in a really nice small quiet residential neighborhood too! You can tell that he takes pride in his property, as they are well maintained and the grounds are just as beautiful as the cottages and just a short jaunt down the backyard and you will come upon Spearfish creek itself and it is GORGEOUS, cool CLEAN, CLEAR water that even with the rain that they had right before we arrived there and when we were there, it was still fairly shallow at about 3-4 feet at it's deepest point, although the creek does flow quite fast. We even ran into a kayaker coming down the creek! Spearfish Creek originates north of the city at Spearfish Canyon, which is a drive that you MUST DO!! It is BREATHTAKING!! We took this way on the way to Mount Rushmore, and while it did take us longer to get there, it is most certainly worth the drive as there are ample spots for some of the most gorgeous nature photography opportunities you will have! While it was certainly beautiful while we were there, I can only imagine how spectacular it must be when the leaves are changing colors during the fall!

As for our cottage we had two beds in the bedroom and in the family room/kitchen we had a futon. There was also a small table in the kitchen and the set up was just perfect for us! The beds were very comfortable and there was a wonderful window air conditioner that did a wonderful job of keeping the entire cottage a great temperature. The bathroom was small, but ample as there was a sink, toilet and shower and plenty of towels. The small kitchen area had a nice refrigerator, gas stove, microwave oven and coffee pot. The coffee was great it was Folgers and I would brew enough to fill up my travel mug when we left for the day. I was planning on cooking breakfast all three days that we were there and cooking supper for two of the nights that we were there and all I had to do was call Mark and within five minutes he was there with a plastic storage bin full of all of the cooking supplies that I needed. It was so cozy and my kids really enjoyed it! Even the two gals who did the housekeeping were fantastic. We came home on our second day to find our beds nicely made up and my kids animals sitting there on the bed waiting for them. My kids thought that was the cutest thing!
They also apparently rent these cabins by the week and it sounds like by the semester for those who have children attending the University or who are going to visit their kids at the University. Mark is very particular as to whom he rents his cottages out to, so you don't have to worry about having any loud or obnoxious neighbors. Our neighbors were great, a couple of veterans and their wives who were on a motorcycle trip. This is also one place though that if you are thinking about staying at during the week of Sturgis, you will want to make sure that you book WELL IN ADVANCE as these are popular for those attending Sturgis (as again this is only about a 20-30 min drive from Sturgis).
The only real recommendations that I would have to be perhaps update the televisions as they are rather small and ours looked like the color was going out of it although we did not go there to watch television and really the only time we did watch it was in the morning while I was cooking breakfast and on the one night when it rained and it was too muddy to do anything outside and too cold for the pool (while the cottages do not have a pool, just the creek, there is a WONDERFUL pool just a couple of miles down the road on the edge of town a the city's new Rec Center, that the city just opened up in a converted former Wal-Mart store. My kids had a BLAST here and there are a TON of things to do, even for the smallest kids!). I might also suggest that he get a DVD player for each cottage, for again those times when it is too cold/rainy to get outside to do anything. I would also suggest that he get new grills and maybe think about installing some fire pits in the back court yard area. As were were going to grill out one night but the two grills that are located in the back court yard area were pretty rusty and worn and neither of them would light for me. In fact one when we opened the lid on one of the grills, it almost fell off! Fire pits would be a nice idea too, as then families could sit around the fire and make s'mores.

All in all though Mark is just a wonderful, very helpful man who has a great place for families, individuals or couples to stay. If you would happen to stay during the winter he even has wood burning stoves in the cottages as well! This was definitely one of the top highlights of the trip for my kids, as they wrote about it in there "What I did this summer" papers at school! You surely will not be disappointed if you stay here, in my opinion this is MUCH better than any of the tourist trap chain hotels that you could go to and we saved a good deal of money too by being able to cook some of our meals, thanks to the Safeway that they have in town too! Great job Mark keep up the good work and I look forward to staying here some day in the future when I am able to come for an adults only trip!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Orchard Creek Cottages? Share your experiences!