“Clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 15 hotels in Spearfish
Fargo, North Dakota, United States
“Clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

When I first arrived in my room, I was on the second floor, poolside. I had to change rooms due to loud noise coming from the pool area (to be expected). However, the room smelled very strongly of chlorine that I had to change rooms. The hotel is a little old looking but is also under going a remodel so that should improve. Room was clean and comfortable. The front staff was very friendly and accommodating. I didn't like the fact that they didn't include a Free breakfast because they had an attached bar which served breakfast. The hotel should have at the very least provide a discount off the food. I had breakfast at the bar/restaurant once and it was very bland for $15. .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Northern Black Hills, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Deal Kal S-

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I'm glad you found the room you settled into very clean and comfortable. The poolside rooms can be a little noisy when we have a bunch of families with children staying, but I'm very happy our staff was able to accommodate you and move you to a quieter area of our hotel. As a full service Holiday Inn, we offer a full restaurant and bar for a dining option instead of a free continental breakfast. I want to thank you again for taking time out of your day to review our property and hope you get a chance to stay with us again in the near future.

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Alta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

The hotel is very clean, the staff is very courteous, the breakfast was very good and the room rate is very reasonable.
What more can a traveler expect or want after a long day on the road.
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Northern Black Hills, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Richard O-

Thank you so much for taking time to review your stay with us. I'm glad to read you enjoyed our cleanliness, friendly staff, restaurant and reasonable room rates. We truly appreciate your kind words and look forward to you visiting again soon!

Bozeman, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Holiday Inn is currently going through a full renovation. It looks like they are doing it in sections to not bother customers with construction noises and such. We were on a road trip and had stayed at 2 hotels before this one, this one had the largest most spacious room! The pool was huge and heated with is nice! The restaurant connected to the hotel is really good, we've eaten at the restaurant before and it's always good! They give you white popcorn as a free appetizer when your seated. Things I didn't like: The hot tubs, though nice they had 2 they were just too hot. I couldn't sit in them all the way on the bottom seat for more than a minute or 2, they still have smoking rooms.....I didn't know hotels still offer that, and when we walked into our entrance door you could smell the cigarette smoke smell (gross). Because of the renovation they said the took all microwaves and mini fridges out of the hotel. That was something that we really could have used to keep our leftovers in, and also something to keep our toddlers milk cold and not have to waste it. Our room was next to some sort of maintenance room and every so often a muffled electric noise would come on...even in he middle of the night, they should do something about that.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Northern Black Hills, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Ashley H-

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to review our property. Like you mentioned, we are in the middle of a full renovation that will be completed some time this summer. With that being said, most of the problem areas you brought up will be addressed to make the Spearfish Holiday Inn a destination you will and your family can enjoy for years to come. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay but I have full confidence that once renovation is completed that you will want to stay here again and again. Thank you again for reviewing your stay and we hope try us again soon.

Huron
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Spearfish, SD with my college student son, his girlfriend, and our 18 year old son while visiting relatives in Spearfish and for New Year's. We have stayed here several times before and are IHG Rewards Club members. We were given an upgrade to a suite as a result of being rewards club members which was nice. This is a nice property with the older style open pool area with game tables and pinball machines. I like this type of pool area better, especcially with older kids, than the closed in room type. There are 2 hot tubs, which is nice, but the jets were not working very well in either of them at the time. The rooms are ok. The suite is much roomier than a regular room and has a separate bedroom, with a pull out sofa bed, a refrigerator, and a fireplace, although the fireplace in our room was out of order. It would be nice to have a microwave in the room as well, but there was not one. It would have been nice to have the fireplace working too, but it was not a big deal. The restaurant in the hotel (Lucky 13) is very nice and a popular place to eat in Spearfish. They have a full menu with a bar/lounge area, and serve large portions of food for a moderate price. One of the best parts of our stay was that we were given a $20 room credit each night of our stay for breakfast (we had two rooms). I think this was to compensate for not having a free continental breakfast, but was very nice as we were able to order off the menu and have a full hot breakfast for very little each day. The restaurant staff was very nice. My younger son was not feeling well, so I went and ordered a cup of hot tea with honey and lemon for him on New Year's Eve and they did not charge me for that. When I booked the rooms, the hotel website mentioned doing some rennovating of rooms and the pool area. I was glad to see that, as I think it is needed, and doing that would make this an exceptional property. One other perk was that we were able to ride a free shuttle to Deadwood and back on New Year's Eve as hotel guests. Although I think this was arranged by the Spearfish Chamber of Commerce and not the hotel. Still it was nice as the weather was not great. Our room was on the 2nd floor, but pool side, so it was noisy and hard to sleep on New Year's Eve with reveler's sitting outside their rooms for most of the night, but that is probably to be expected. Hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. I would recommend the hotel and look forward to it's rennovations. Both of my sons who are avid weightlifters were disappointed that there were not any weights in the fitness room - only a couple of treadmills and an eliptical. I would suggest some sort of weight bench for the rennovation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Northern Black Hills, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Dawn B-

Thank you very much for the thorough review of our property. These reviews are very helpful to other potential guests when choosing a hotel and good, thorough reviews like this do not go unnoticed! I'm very happy your were pleased with your overall stay and that you are as excited about the upcoming renovations as we are. We agree that it will make us an exceptional property to go along with our great staff. Thank you again for the kind words and hope to have you visit us again in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

when I checked in to this motel. I was given a pool side room as I stated that I was there to relax and the hot tub was the reason I chose this motel. The desk clerk was very helpful and even held the door for me as I carried items in to the lobby. After making my way to my room I unpacked a few items and noted the room was spacious and clean. I wanted to go check things out and find my way to the hot tub there were several kids(15+) around the pool and game area. In and out of the hot tubs and the pool.. screaming and playing. I decided to go to dinner and let the kids enjoy their party.
After returning from dinner the kids had gotten louder. by this time I tried to close the curtain on the large window facing the pool area....This could not be done. only a sheer curtain was between me and everyone in the game/pool area. This was about 8.30pm... The kids were playing dodge ball and my room was in the corner where every kid chose to hide from the ball..Hitting my huge window with the ball and the kids running in to it was not my idea of relaxing. I called the front desk and asked when the kids had to quiet down for the night and was told it was the weekend and 11.00pm would be the earliest. Next morning I went to the front desk hoping that I could get some relax time in before check out, but they would not open the hot tubs until 8 am. ( surrounded by a fence and locked at 10.00pm) Just note that if your going to work or relax go someplace else. 120.00 a night to listen to kids scream and bounce off the windows... NOT WORTH IT!!

Room Tip: Ask if there is any parties!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sundownerinn-

Thank you for taking time out of your day to review our property. I'm glad you chose us and that our staff was very helpful during your checkin process. I apologize there were children enjoying our very spacious pool area and our pool hours did not meet your needs. Again, thank you for posting your comments as we take them all very seriously.

Spearfish, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I put my family up here at the end of October as I was having surgery and I wanted my family to be there for me. My sister was feeling tired so I helped her take her items to the room.. we got in the elevator and it smelt moldy like stale water.. the elevator door opened and to our surprise we found a grey plastic trashcan on wheels and it was about 1/3 of the way full of stale water and water was dripping from the ceiling. The entire area smelt of mold and it was very unappealing.. I figured my family would love a pool side room, but the entire area was so stale smelling it was disgusting.. There were also tarps laying all over. This is NOT the quality you expect from a Holiday Inn. We had our wedding here and have stayed here multiple times, and it has really gone downhill from what it was.. I would definitely say that this place needs to be renovated! In the hotel business the appearance is everything, but with the smells of stale water and leaky tarped roofs the impression you get is not a favorable one! It wasn't worth the $100+ I paid!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Northern Black Hills, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear LilCrumpet-

Thank you for taking time to comment on your experience at our hotel. Seeing that you are from Spearfish, I'm sure your know we had a catastophic winter storm the beginning of October that brought with it several feet of heavy, wet snow. This, coupled by a terrible hail storm earlier in the year caused what you experienced. I do want to extend a sincere apology that you had this inconvenience during your stay.

I am pleased to tell you that the roof is repaired and the odor, leaks, and tarps you witnessed have been gone for some time now. We are also in the final planning stages of an extensive renovation of our guest rooms and common areas. I think you'll enjoy our hotel again like you had in the past and encourage you to urge your friends and family to stay with us in the future as they will not be dissapointed.

Brookston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Front desk was friendly and cordial. This Holiday Inn, is what I would consider below the normal Holiday Inn. In your average Holiday Inn, rooms have been updated and recently renovated. This particular hotel has not, carpets are stained, pillows are flat, bed is hard, blankets are well... should I use them? Walked around property, lobby is nice, convention center appears to be nice and pool/game area could serve it's purpose. I think they need to re-evaluate and spruce it up some.. I am sure it couldn't hurt. It is still a Holiday Inn, so you put trust in its name, just don't expect much..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Northern Black Hills, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear mgwds1-

I want to thank you for taking time to review our property. We take all comments, both negative and positive very seriously. I am pleased to inform you , like you mentioned in your review, that we will soon be addressing needs in our hotel. We are finalizing plans for an extensive renovation of our rooms and public areas. I think you'll be very pleased with the results if you choose to visit after the work is complete! I am glad you enjoyed our friendly staff and hope we can be of service to you again in the near future.

Director of Marketing

Been to Holiday Inn Spearfish - Northern Black Hills? Share your experiences!