“Pleasant stay in Sioux Falls. Convenient location.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Chicago, Illinois
“Pleasant stay in Sioux Falls. Convenient location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

The Sheraton Sioux Falls is a solid option for business travelers and vacationers not looking for any opulence.

It is near the airport and centrally located within Sioux Falls. Honestly, the city isn't very big. Everything in the city seems to be within 15 minutes or less of everything else.

It is constructed as most Sheratons are, with a big open central lobby/foyer and rooms around the perimeter. The common areas are clean and well maintained.

Check-in was fairly easy and the staff was incredibly friendly, which is true for the population just about everywhere in the city. The gentleman who checked me in forgot to explain that there were food vouchers in my door-key packet and the various scenarios I could use them. Minor annoyance.

I was upgraded to a larger suite on the club lounge level due to elite status. The floor is clean. The rooms are nothing special, but they are also clean. I had a problem with a noisy AC and engineering was able to get it fixed within 10 minutes of my request for help.

The club lounge for AM breakfast is pretty terrible. I honestly have to ask why a hotel would even offer these options: a block of scrambled eggs., flavorless potatoes., two boring cereals. They have a fancy Jura coffee machine, but it's broken and only creates espresso. The espresso is nice because the brewed coffee is terrible. I used the espresso to essentially make an espresso floater in a glass of coffee flavored water! Having said all of that, I had colleagues staying at two other highly rated Sioux Falls hotels, and the Sheraton's options were better.

Disappointed with the club lounge, I had breakfast at the lobby restaurant the next two days. I probably would have done this on my first day had I been told about this benefit at check-in. The restaurant was marginally better with egg, bacon, sausage, french toast, waffle, fruit, yogurt and granola options. You can also order an omelet at the breakfast buffet or just order a la carte. The breakfast wasn't spectacular, but it was edible whereas the club lounge really felt inedible. The brewed coffee was much better at the restaurant but espresso or use of the jura coffee machine was not included whereas it was free in the club lounge (had it been working). It was too much hassle to go up to the 6th floor for my espresso to bring it down to the restaurant. This is a silly annoyance and such an easy fix to create a non-confusing and uncompromising experience for your best customers.

The people who work at this hotel are very nice. They were just fine to let me sit at the restaurant table off the lobby for 5 hours on my last day while I worked. They kept the coffee coming. This is a very nice thing!

I actually found the lobby to be an ideal place to work. There are artificial waterfalls, which create great white noise to create a work environment with little distraction, which is an odd thing to say for a place like a lobby.

Despite some of my complaints, I will stay at the Sheraton again when I return to Sioux Falls. Colleagues that worked with me in the lobby will also stay here instead of staying at the other "highly rated" club hotel in town.

Room Tip: 5th and 6th floor appear to be reserved for Starwood elite members. 6th floor might be reserved for...
Green Features: Aside from opting into not having your room serviced, sheets/towels replaced in lieu of Starwood points, I was not aware of any other environmentally-friendly practices. But that doesn't mean that the hotel doesn't have any
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Karen M, General Manager at Sheraton Sioux Falls Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Crheimy,
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. Your review will be shared with my management team as we are continually looking to improve. Although you experienced annoyances during your stay, I am happy to hear that the lobby provided you with a place do to your work. Thank you again for the detailed feedback. We look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to Sioux Falls!
Karen Masterson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Piscataway, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Had a wonderful stay at this hotel during a recent road trip and I will definitely stay there again if I ever get a chance to go up there. It was conveniently located close to the highway, very clean and comfortable. It was one of the nicest smelling hotels I've stayed in. We upgraded to the club level and it was worth it- I definitely recommend it. The upgrade included wi-fi, breakfast and an evening reception. The breakfast was decent and service was good. The pool area and fitness room were clean and well taken care off. There was no convention next door so it wasn't noisy or crowded. There was construction going on outside hotel so there was a detour getting to the property

Dear Babajide O,
Thank you for taking time to share your review. I am happy to hear that we were able to provide a comfortable and relaxing stay during your roadtrip. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sioux Falls in the future!
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

but really didn't. There was quite a bit of road construction in getting to the hotel but that's not their fault. Our room was just around the corner from the vending and ice machines so I assumed that we would be listening to them all night. Wrong. Never even heard them. There was quite a bit of hallway noise but everything quieted down at a very reasonable time. The room was very nice, comfortable and clean. Would certainly stay there again.

Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Very friendly staff that call you by name. Rooms are very comfy and adequate for business travelers. WIFI is really slow so be ready for that. Restaurant was average until I tried the pheasant soup which was fantastic and a trade mark dish of theirs. This hotel is connected to the arena, and about two miles from the airport so very convenient. Stay on the 6th floor and you get access to the private continental breakfast in the morning. I will return

Room Tip: 6th floor has complimentary breakfast
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Karen M, General Manager at Sheraton Sioux Falls Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear HR C,
Thank you for taking time to write your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoy our property and pheasant soup! We look forward to welcoming you back to Sioux Falls.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Disappointed that wi-fi was $10.95 per night. For such a nice hotel, everything additional had an extra cost from the water in your room. Nothing complimentary here. You literally have to pay for anything else you want.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Our room was very clean, quiet and spacious. Apparently road work and construction has been going on for well over a year. They are nearly finished. I read other reviews about noise and such. We found the staff to be helpful and were not bothered by any noise inside or outside the hotel.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Gina M,
Thank you for sharing your review. I am happy to hear that our property and staff met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back!
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We spent the night here when we attended a relative's wedding. The hotel was at capacity. All things being equal with a room, the hotel staff makes or breaks the experience. This is where this hotel broke down. The staff appeared to be overwhelmed and poorly trained. I am also writing this on behalf of several relatives who also stayed there.

First, the elevators could not handle the traffic and you waited quite a while for one to appear going in your direction. My husband and I ended up taking the stairs for the most part although we were on the fifth floor. My key card stopped working so I walked downstairs. The front desk staff made me a new one. I walked up. The key card didn't work. I walked down. They made me another one. I walked upstairs. It didn't work. I walked downstairs. By this time I was furious. How hard is it to make a key card? I was very upset. They made another key card. They didn't promise this one would work. One desk person called maintenance. I walked upstairs again. This card finally worked. Four attempts, lots of stairs, and I was finally able to get in my room. Maintenance had not appeared.

The restaurant at breakfast was total chaos. The staff only noticed you when you did something wrong --- my husband started to pour syrup out of a bottle on the buffet counter and was told not to---there was syrup on the table. There were bowls for oatmeal, no milk, and so on. We ordered eggs. It took quite a while for them to appear. Nope, those belonged to a different table. The wait staff seemed besieged at times and disorganized at best. When we went to pay the bill the cashier did not subtract the breakfast vouchers we had. She was unable to complete this simple transaction and gave up.
More fun ensued. My sister-in-law was double billed for her room. It's several days later and we're hoping our bill was correct as it hasn't posted yet.

Overall, I don't think we'll stay here again. The Sheraton will respond to this, so be aware that they are trying to blunt the impact of this review because they don't want potential customers to be scared off, and that I will not have an opportunity to answer their comments. I'm saying this because the experience didn't have to be this bad. The room was ok. The staff couldn't handle the hotel at capacity. If the Sheraton is wise, they will learn from this review and either train their staff or not allow the hotel to get full.

Room Tip: The Atrium can get noisy. A relative with a room in one of the wings said the hallway was very hot.
Dear poodytat,
Thank you for taking time to share feedback on your recent stay as it plays an integral role in our goal of complete guest satisfaction. With that said, what you experienced is not acceptable and I plan on sharing your review with my management team. Thank you again for your review.
Karen Masterson

Been to Sheraton Sioux Falls Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!