“Many Thanks!” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
“Many Thanks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

This summer I traveled to South Dakota to attend a family wedding. I was in Sioux Falls awaiting the arrival of my husband who had to fly in to meet me from Denver, CO. After traveling all day long & waiting at the airport for HOURS, with cancellation after cancellation with my husband's flight due to inclement weather in Denver, his flight was finally canceled all together at 11 p.m. Airport security personnel advised me to seek accommodations just down the road. I stopped at several hotels & no one would accommodate our two Australian Shepherds who were traveling with me. At almost midnight, I dragged myself into the Sheraton! The hotel was VERY busy, but in spite of it, the hotel staff greeted me with AMAZING hospitality & friendliness!!! They not only accepted our pets, but I had the greatest assistance in moving my luggage, kennels & pets to the 5th floor King suite. The service was absolute perfection after such a long, disappointing day & the accommodations were extraordinary! My husband's plane didn't make it to Sioux Falls until LATE the following day, however the Sioux Falls Sheraton & the extraordinary service & hospitality they provided will bring us back to their hotel whenever we travel to S.D. to visit our family! EXCELLENT on every level! Thank you to the Sioux Falls Sheraton and their outstanding staff, service & accommodations!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I booked bed and breakfast and had breakfast in the lobby restaurant the morning after my arrival. I was handed a bill upon leaving the restaurant. I said I had a bed and breakfast rate and was told by a restaurant staff member that this was "not her problem" and the bill would have to be paid.

I took the matter up with reception. The receptionist confirmed that I had a bed and breakfast reservation but that breakfast was on the Club Floor, in the Club Lounge and finished at 9am; it was now 9:30. I said I was not prepared to pay the bill as I had already paid for it in my booking and that she should probably get a manager.

The reception manager arrived and things started to go from bad to worse. The manager's attitude was curt, rude, arrogant, unhelpful, confrontational, passive aggressive and accusatory. She took the default position that I was at fault and that there was nothing she would do about it, I would have to settle the bill. I refused.

She then proceeded to check my reservation and confirmed that I did indeed have a bed and breakfast reservation, as I had explained to her, but she said breakfast was on the Club Floor, in the Club Lounge and it finished at 9am. This I already knew from the receptionist. I queried why this should matter to me as I not informed by any staff member upon arrival what exactly the Club Floor was, what the Club Lounge was, or that breakfast was restricted in this ridiculous fashion to the Club Floor, in the Club Lounge until 9am.

The impasse was broken only when the manager realised that I would, under no circumstances, pay twice for breakfast. She made a huge deal and obligation out of the fact that she would, in this instance, waive the breakfast charge. She did this in a way that you would expect a kindergarten teacher to speak to a naughty child.

On a positive note, the room was comfortable, clean and facilities were excellent, but the downside of this experience is very simple for me. I travel quite a great deal for business and this is the worst customer service experience I have ever had in a hotel of this calibre. I will, to the best of my ability, never set foot inside this hotel again and wherever possible, seek an alternative to the Sheraton brand in future.

How dare Sheraton employees treat a guest in this fashion and please, do away with the ridiculous Club Floor, Club Lounge, 9am nonsense.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This is a very nice hotel if you have an exprense write off or if the boss is paying. Not doing as we were a road trip. Rate was good as there was a AAA special. BUT, there was no free internet, breakfast, paper, etc. Desk clerk was friendly on check in. Bellman, bar tender, other staff very efficious, but not friendly, Unusual from we had found everywhere else on this trip.

Room Tip: Not a htole if you are traveling or with kids. Great if you have an expense account or can write of...
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011 via mobile

This particular Sheraton has a large open atrium in the center of the building. And the bar is pretty much right in the middle. Nice if you want to drink & have a good time. Not so good if your room is on a lower level & you want to sleep after a stressful day of business. If you stay here, make sure your room is the 4th floor or higher.

• Stayed September 2011
Brookings, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Sheraton in Sioux Falls over the Labor Day weekend. Even though we only live about an hour away, we return to this hotel almost every year to "get out of town" for a while. The fact that we keep going back should say a lot. It's clean, it's comfortable, and in our opinion, it's MUCH nicer than a Super 8 at about the same value. The food in the on-site restaraunt is usually very good and the pool area or the on-site bar is great way to relax at night. In all fairness, we did have a couple of issues this time that were a bit disappointing. Our first night, we called the front desk prior to going to bed to ask about times for the breakfast buffet; we were given the impression by the desk clerk the buffet would be open... so we were disappointed the next morning to find the buffet wasn't being offered. And the other problem we had this time was the hot tub in the pool area seemed really dirty. But these issues were never a problem in our previous stays.

One thing travelers should be aware of is that this hotel is on the "right" side of town for the airport, but on the complete opposite side of town from all of the main shopping areas and "good" eating establishment other than what's in the hotel.

We really like this place simply for what you get and the price you pay for it.

Belle Fourche, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Before booking I looked at the website and on tripadvisor, which is why I am posting this now, so you can be warned........looked like a perfect place for my family to meet and enjoy our Labor Day weekend. Ambience10! :) I called the Sheraton to book a room. I was told the room was 109.99 plus 10 dollars for each extra person over 2 people, plus 10 dollars per night for a rollaway. I made it clear that i was coming with my parents and my brother and his fiance', 5 people. This made the room 149.99 for 2 nights according to reservations and I requested the 3rd night free as I had seen on the web. The person I spoke to in reservations said that the last night had to be 40 dollars because the free night was only for 2 people, I understood that. I was told that my total was 342.58 and would be charged that day. Still, ok with that (but I shouldnt have been bc later, when didnt have the option to LEAVE). When I viewed my bank statement online, I was only charged 310.58. I called the Sheraton bc I didnt need the extra 40 dollars on there, if it was?, bc I would be staying the last night alone. I called and spoke to Jennifer at the front desk who transferred me to reservations, who said that they couldnt help and transferred me to accounting, where I left a message. I hung up and called immediately back and again spoke with Jennifer who said that i would not be charged the extra 40 for the free night and shouldnt have been charged that anyhow, that reservations was wrong to tell me that. A couple of days later my family decided that they would stay the free night. I called back and added their 4 names to my reservation. I spoke with Jennifer and asked her if I needed to be there right at 3 pm to check in bc I was driving from over 6 hrs away, she said that I could check in anytime before 2 am, bc there would be someone at the front desk to check me in. I said ok and hung up thinking that my reservation was taken care of. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! At check in I was asked for my drivers license and credit card. The girl who checked me in said that she could see that the room was paid for, but that they needed a credit card "on file" to cover "incidentals." I thought, well, that is fine bc I have never stolen anything or trashed a hotel room in my life. I got up to the room and noticed that there was no rollaway in the room. So I went back to the front desk, then I was told that rollaways are first come, first serve and they didnt have any left. What??? I pointed out that i had 4 people in my room and had asked for a rollaway when i made the reservation a week in advance!!! Jennifer then came over and said "I told you that rollaway beds are first come, first serve." No apology, nothing, they just shrugged it off!!! (My 23 yr old brother slept on the floor for 3 nights, we checked back and there were never any rollaways while we were there.) After returning to the room, now with my family, My father wrote an email about the way we were treated and the next day we found a card on the bed for breakfast for all of us at the Sheraton's restaurant, Falling Water Cafe, compliments of the hotel and FINALLY a note, saying sorry for the inconvienance. I thought it was very nice and that the craziness was over....NO!!!! I was very wrong..... On Monday, Labor Day we woke up to bills under the door charging each extra person in my room. Again, What???? I had paid for the entire stay before even arriving. So I devided to check my statement online again, at this point knowing it was a mistake to trust the Sheraton with my credit card. There was an additional charge from the Sheraton for 277.00 charged when I checked in! I immediately went down to the front desk. I was told that there is always a hold placed when guests check in, ONCE AGAIN, I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT BEFORE!!! Then the person at the front desk told me that she didnt know when the money would be back in my account, that it was up to my bank..... She then said, it was Labor Day and there was nothing she could do. I asked to leave my name and number and have a manager call me. I then asked about the bills that we had recieved under the door. She said that they were auto generated and not owed. What a mess! I was stressed all Labor Day weekend, what should have been a nice relaxing trip to see family turned into the HOTEL STAY FROM HELL! I did speak with a manager and its a week and a half later now, the hold (that should have never been placed) is now removed and I am supposed to be recieving a nights refund. They said at the Sheraton that they sent the refund to my account yest........ my bank still hasnt processed it ??? This manager is good, Michelle, the first person that I have spoken to there that knows anything about service. BUT unless you want to be charged, who knows what amount and be told one thing at the time you make the reservation and another when checking in.... DONT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT WORTH THE STRESS.

Room Tip: Dont get a room by the glass elevators, you can hear them run and ding all night.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Karen M, General Manager at Sheraton Sioux Falls Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. It is the philosophy of our hotel to exceed our guest expectation and we failed to accomplish this for you. I sincerely apologize for the attitude of indifference and the lack of attention to the rollaway request you received during your stay from our associates. I have no excuse or explanation. I can however tell you we have addressed your comments with the appropriate people and have come up with some solutions that may help us achieve this goal.

I am appreciative that Michelle was able to assist you. I know that Michelle has spoken to you and indicated that our accounting office issued a full credit of a one-night stay back to your credit card. The credit was issued by our hotel on September 12, 2011.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. My hope is that you will consider staying with us again as to prove our commitment to guest service.

Kind regards,

Karen
San José, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We chose this hotel based on its proximity to the airport and to the downtown area. The convention center is literally next door. The room was clean and quiet, the travel-sized toiletries nice, the bed comfortable, and there were enough electrical outlets for our needs. We didn't use WiFi so I am unable to comment about this.

We saw kids enjoying the indoor pool without too much of a chlorine odor and there was someone using the workout room as well. The workout room had multiple machines available to give you options. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and we really appreciated the level of detail on the map provided by the Convention and Visitor's Bureau. Offerings at the breakfast buffet were varied and tasty but I'm not sure it was worth the nearly $11/person price.

License plates in the parking lot indicated that this was a popular choice with other travellers. We will definitely consider staying here the next time we're in Sioux Falls.

Room Tip: I called the hotel directly and ended up with a room in the smaller executive wing.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Sioux Falls Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!