“Good location, but choose your room wisely.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 48 hotels in Sioux Falls
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good location, but choose your room wisely.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I chose this hotel due to it's proximity to downtown and I will say that the location did not disappoint. It's within walking distance of everything in downtown Sioux Falls and there are a lot of great restaurants and things to do there. However, the hotel came up just a bit short. It's a nice and clean hotel with friendly staff but some of the rooms had some issues. I was originally placed in an accessible room on the 2nd floor in the east wing, right next to the dumpsters. My room had a balcony and a door (that didn't seal quite tight) and the noise and light were issues. I asked to be moved to a different room and the staff quickly fulfilled my request, they seem to know that that end of the hotel can cause some noise issues for people. I was moved to the 6th and 7th floors for the remainder of my two week trip and it wasn't bad, but average. One big tip though, if you're staying in the winter, try to get a room without a balcony. The doors didn't have a great seal and it felt a little drafty at times. Otherwise, a balcony in the summer (choose the north side or west wing) would be quite nice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side face away from downtown and away from most of the traffic. The west wing is...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We certainly have experienced a cold winter here in Sioux Falls and any missing weather stripping does cause an issue that we will correct. I am pleased that we were able to accommodate a room change for you and hope we can move your comments from good to great during your next stay with us.

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband, dog and I stayed here during our recent cross-country road trip. Our room was nicely updated, spacious, clean and quiet. We were so tired from a day full of driving that we decided to eat dinner at the hotel. The chicken quesadillas from the hotel's restaurant were really good :) The room was a good value and we would certainly stay here again if we are traveling through Sioux Falls.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

There is a happy hour at this hotel on the 9th floor. You'll need to pay a little extra to have access, but it's well worth it. There are snack, drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and desserts. The woman who runs the happy hour is a joy! It's a really nice way to wind down for the day.

Besides that, the rooms are fairly standard for a Holiday Inn. The parking is connected, but a little ambiguous when you first pull in. The hotel itself is conveniently close to the airport and downtown.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Aberdeen, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

In December I stayed here and had just begin construction I stayed on the 5th floor and I didn't even hardly notice it this time I stayed on the concierge floor on the 9th floor and at 730 in the morning I heard construction going on with jackhammer is your pounding on the walls they said there was construction but starting at 730 in the morning was a little ridiculous . The staff here is always nice and they are very helpful the rooms are clean and with the new remodel the bathrooms have them titties so you have places to put your razor the concierge floor offers a great evening reception that is second to none basically it's a beautiful dinner catered by their staff other than the construction I would have give this place a four star . The staff apologize for the construction and said that there was an error and made had gotten other complaints but they had them stop but if you're looking for a nice place to stay at least give them a try

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We do apologize for the construction noise as we complete our guest room bathroom renovation. We are 90% complete and will wrap this up over the next two weeks. I am pleased that you enjoyed the 9th floor amenities, which are definitely worth the upgrade. Hope to see you back in Sioux Falls soon!
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights in early October for a wedding. I realize this was a few months ago, but I'd imagine it's equally as relevant today in being informative for future guests.

This was my first visit to Sioux Falls, and this was the hotel where the couple had reserved a block of rooms. I went rogue with my reservation, though, and was able to get a better deal through Priceline (who, for whatever reason, outsourced it through booking.com).

We arrived pretty late at night, and the night desk clerk was friendly, although she did seem unclear in communicating what the situation was on the hotel's breakfast offerings. While it was clear that there is a restaurant in the hotel where you typically pay for your meals, she suggested that from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. was a complimentary breakfast. I didn't try to take advantage of that until the last morning of my stay, which I'll get to later.

This hotel is packed with amenities, which is great to have. You can read the list on the website, but I'll just say that this place is huge. I can't speak to any of them, though, as we didn't take advantage of anything beyond what was in our room.

At the time of our visit, they were doing remodeling, which appeared to mainly affect the exterior, but I think they've also been renovating the rooms as well.

On that note, I hope the room we stayed in is going to be renovated at some point. There were a few low points to this room that really made it below average.

The thermostat didn't appear to work correctly, or at least the air conditioner couldn't quite output cold air fast enough to cool the room. The room felt warm when we first entered, but the thermostat said it was only at 72 degrees, so we cranked it to 66 degrees. This cooled it down some, but the temperature of the room seemed to be about 4 to 6 degrees warmer than what the thermostat said.

We were on the second floor, with windows facing south. This meant we had a balcony, which sounds nice, but it was cramped and looked down at a patio area. If people were sitting around the patio area, we basically would have mainly had a view of them looking back at us. We could also see an intersection and some surrounding buildings, but on the second floor, you really don't have much of a vantage point to consider a balcony much of a luxury. Additionally, the door out to the balcony was extremely difficult to lock. I think I got it to lock successfully the first night, but on the second day, I couldn't get it to lock again for the rest of our stay.

The room also had a mini-fridge, which we didn't really need, but would've been nice if we had any drinks or food to stow away. The problem with the fridge, though, is that it made a loud whirring noise when the cooling system would kick on. I realize that all fridges do this, but it almost sounded like a tea kettle whistling when it would first fire up. The sound was fairly obnoxious, but thankfully wasn't enough to keep us from sleeping.

The bathroom was huge. Almost too huge, in fact. I'm trying to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and assume that we were placed in a room intended for handicapped individuals who need the space for their wheelchairs. But if this was not the case, then the bathroom seemed like it wasted a lot of square footage that could've been used to open up the bedroom a bit more. Despite all the space in the bathroom, the sink was very small with no surrounding countertop. Basically we set our toiletries around the rim of the sink, which was very cramped. Again, if they wanted to get the most out of all the extra space in the bathroom, a better setup with countertops would have been very beneficial.

Despite the gripes listed above, the room served our purposes just fine by giving us a place to rest our heads at night, and a hot shower in the morning. It came with all the essentials that you'd expect out of a hotel room. Other than that, the décor was a bit drab and dated.

To revisit my comment earlier about the complimentary breakfast, I learned when we were checking out that there was no such thing, and we'd have to pay extra at the restaurant for our meal. Since we were pressed for time and needed to start our drive back home, we didn't have time to go through a sit-down meal, so we instead grabbed a quick breakfast at the McDonald's drive-thru on our way out of town. I'm disappointed in their staff for not communicating this correctly. For a place that provides so many other amenities, you'd think this would be a no-brainer to provide some sort of complimentary breakfast to guests.

The location of the hotel is a huge plus, as it is fairly central to downtown Sioux Falls. We didn't explore the city a lot, but getting anywhere isn't too big of a hassle.

Overall, I found this place to be somewhat of a letdown. It will suit your most basic needs, but the rooms are just a little bit below average, and the staff is somewhat disorganized in being consistent with their communication. I could see a lot of the amenities being a huge plus for guests looking to take advantage of them, but I never needed them, so I am only judging based on my personal experience with my hotel room and interactions with the staff. I'm not willing to rate this below average, though, as I know this hotel would probably suit families a lot better.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, but if you want a decent view, try to get a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review. We are indeed completing renovations on our guest bathrooms by the end of February, 2014. Apologize for the miscommunication regarding breakfast. Please contact me prior to your next trip to Sioux Falls.
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at this property. They got us into our room early. The room was very nice...clean. The facilities and staff were great. The kids had a great time in the pool. Overall, it was a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

There were a lot of Christmas parties that evening I stayed, and I had to wait about an hour after check in to find a spot in the garage. The room was nice, I had room service which was great, but the temperature of the room never was below 78 degrees all night! This was an interior room that overlooked the pool without an outside window. Otherwise it was ok for an overnight stay, I would avoid the interior rooms if possible. Actually very quiet for all of the parties going on that night!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments. Our team reviews all feedback and use your observations to make corrections to our facility.

Been to Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center? Share your experiences!