“Construction” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Aberdeen, South Dakota
“Construction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

In December I stayed here and had just begin construction I stayed on the 5th floor and I didn't even hardly notice it this time I stayed on the concierge floor on the 9th floor and at 730 in the morning I heard construction going on with jackhammer is your pounding on the walls they said there was construction but starting at 730 in the morning was a little ridiculous . The staff here is always nice and they are very helpful the rooms are clean and with the new remodel the bathrooms have them titties so you have places to put your razor the concierge floor offers a great evening reception that is second to none basically it's a beautiful dinner catered by their staff other than the construction I would have give this place a four star . The staff apologize for the construction and said that there was an error and made had gotten other complaints but they had them stop but if you're looking for a nice place to stay at least give them a try

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We do apologize for the construction noise as we complete our guest room bathroom renovation. We are 90% complete and will wrap this up over the next two weeks. I am pleased that you enjoyed the 9th floor amenities, which are definitely worth the upgrade. Hope to see you back in Sioux Falls soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights in early October for a wedding. I realize this was a few months ago, but I'd imagine it's equally as relevant today in being informative for future guests.

This was my first visit to Sioux Falls, and this was the hotel where the couple had reserved a block of rooms. I went rogue with my reservation, though, and was able to get a better deal through Priceline (who, for whatever reason, outsourced it through booking.com).

We arrived pretty late at night, and the night desk clerk was friendly, although she did seem unclear in communicating what the situation was on the hotel's breakfast offerings. While it was clear that there is a restaurant in the hotel where you typically pay for your meals, she suggested that from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. was a complimentary breakfast. I didn't try to take advantage of that until the last morning of my stay, which I'll get to later.

This hotel is packed with amenities, which is great to have. You can read the list on the website, but I'll just say that this place is huge. I can't speak to any of them, though, as we didn't take advantage of anything beyond what was in our room.

At the time of our visit, they were doing remodeling, which appeared to mainly affect the exterior, but I think they've also been renovating the rooms as well.

On that note, I hope the room we stayed in is going to be renovated at some point. There were a few low points to this room that really made it below average.

The thermostat didn't appear to work correctly, or at least the air conditioner couldn't quite output cold air fast enough to cool the room. The room felt warm when we first entered, but the thermostat said it was only at 72 degrees, so we cranked it to 66 degrees. This cooled it down some, but the temperature of the room seemed to be about 4 to 6 degrees warmer than what the thermostat said.

We were on the second floor, with windows facing south. This meant we had a balcony, which sounds nice, but it was cramped and looked down at a patio area. If people were sitting around the patio area, we basically would have mainly had a view of them looking back at us. We could also see an intersection and some surrounding buildings, but on the second floor, you really don't have much of a vantage point to consider a balcony much of a luxury. Additionally, the door out to the balcony was extremely difficult to lock. I think I got it to lock successfully the first night, but on the second day, I couldn't get it to lock again for the rest of our stay.

The room also had a mini-fridge, which we didn't really need, but would've been nice if we had any drinks or food to stow away. The problem with the fridge, though, is that it made a loud whirring noise when the cooling system would kick on. I realize that all fridges do this, but it almost sounded like a tea kettle whistling when it would first fire up. The sound was fairly obnoxious, but thankfully wasn't enough to keep us from sleeping.

The bathroom was huge. Almost too huge, in fact. I'm trying to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and assume that we were placed in a room intended for handicapped individuals who need the space for their wheelchairs. But if this was not the case, then the bathroom seemed like it wasted a lot of square footage that could've been used to open up the bedroom a bit more. Despite all the space in the bathroom, the sink was very small with no surrounding countertop. Basically we set our toiletries around the rim of the sink, which was very cramped. Again, if they wanted to get the most out of all the extra space in the bathroom, a better setup with countertops would have been very beneficial.

Despite the gripes listed above, the room served our purposes just fine by giving us a place to rest our heads at night, and a hot shower in the morning. It came with all the essentials that you'd expect out of a hotel room. Other than that, the décor was a bit drab and dated.

To revisit my comment earlier about the complimentary breakfast, I learned when we were checking out that there was no such thing, and we'd have to pay extra at the restaurant for our meal. Since we were pressed for time and needed to start our drive back home, we didn't have time to go through a sit-down meal, so we instead grabbed a quick breakfast at the McDonald's drive-thru on our way out of town. I'm disappointed in their staff for not communicating this correctly. For a place that provides so many other amenities, you'd think this would be a no-brainer to provide some sort of complimentary breakfast to guests.

The location of the hotel is a huge plus, as it is fairly central to downtown Sioux Falls. We didn't explore the city a lot, but getting anywhere isn't too big of a hassle.

Overall, I found this place to be somewhat of a letdown. It will suit your most basic needs, but the rooms are just a little bit below average, and the staff is somewhat disorganized in being consistent with their communication. I could see a lot of the amenities being a huge plus for guests looking to take advantage of them, but I never needed them, so I am only judging based on my personal experience with my hotel room and interactions with the staff. I'm not willing to rate this below average, though, as I know this hotel would probably suit families a lot better.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, but if you want a decent view, try to get a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review. We are indeed completing renovations on our guest bathrooms by the end of February, 2014. Apologize for the miscommunication regarding breakfast. Please contact me prior to your next trip to Sioux Falls.
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at this property. They got us into our room early. The room was very nice...clean. The facilities and staff were great. The kids had a great time in the pool. Overall, it was a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

There were a lot of Christmas parties that evening I stayed, and I had to wait about an hour after check in to find a spot in the garage. The room was nice, I had room service which was great, but the temperature of the room never was below 78 degrees all night! This was an interior room that overlooked the pool without an outside window. Otherwise it was ok for an overnight stay, I would avoid the interior rooms if possible. Actually very quiet for all of the parties going on that night!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments. Our team reviews all feedback and use your observations to make corrections to our facility.
skatefox
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

For a jaded New Yorker, my recent trip to Sioux Falls, SD was a breath of fresh, cool air, with a side of tumbleweed! Sioux Falls is a midwest city on the rise, with a revitalized downtown that features boutiques, cafes, galleries, and patisseries! There is more outdoor commissioned art in Sioux Falls than I have seen in many major cities! What a surprise to me.

I was there on business, and my hosts booked the Holiday Inn City Center for me. A courtesy van picked me up at the airport. (They run about every twenty minutes) for the five minute ride to the hotel. The courtesy began there. the diver was a friendly as could be, welcoming, and free with the advice about restaurants and attractions.

The hotel itself in not a destination. The lobby is sparse. There is a homey feeling bar and restaurant adjacent to a really lovely indoor pool. This is cowboy country, and I was not disappointed. Cowboy hats and boots dominated, along with an even tempered friendliness not often encountered in my home state.

The room was pristinely clean, up to date, and included a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The bed was comfortable, and the room was kept at a temperate heat level.

I was in town for an affair that was held in the upstairs ballrrom. It was a spacious, circular area with huge glass windows featuring views of the city at night. The star sight was an enormous cathedral that was the focal point of the Sioux Falls lineup. I had my first taste of the hotel fare at the hors d'oevres bar. Wow! Jumbo shrimp, perfectly steamed and iced. Stuffed mushrooms, several other hot appetizers, appetizing cheese platter and fresh fruits. Everything was beautifully presented and good.

At Sunday breakfast the following morning, I thought we were going to eat until someone in the group died! The hotel features a Sunday breakfast buffet,and they hold nothing back. For $12.00, we were offered coffee, pastries, cereals, yogurt, omelettes, the usual. THEN, there was the carving stand with roast prime rib, fresh turkey, and ham. Mashed potatoes, fresh vegetables, and those enormous shrimp again. Did I mention the dessert bar? Ice cream, chocolate mousse, 7 layer cake, cheese cake, and every pie you could think of. And it was all good!

The staff at this hotel are uniformly pleasant and helpful. There are printer stations in the lobby that you can use to print your boarding passes. Everything in the downtown is within easy walking distance. The shuttles run regularly. And the rate was only $89 per night for a double queen room!

Room Tip: Take a room away from the elevators to cut down on noise.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here two nights on business. First nice surprise was the free shuttle from the airport, runs every 20 minutes to/from hotel. Clean, large room. Complementary wifi worked very well and didn't make me login every 3 hours, which can be a pain. Printer in lobby for my boarding pass. Nice breakfast spread. This hotel is downtown so it's a very easy walk to strip of restaurants and shops. I hadn't stayed at a holiday inn in a long time and my expectations were low. This place surprised me in the best ways, including friendly and attentive staff.

Willmar, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was there recently for an event which was held in the hotel. I was to recognize a young lays at the front desk who was very helpful. I can't remember her name but she had red hair and I believe she was the manager on duty. She got me checked in and recognized me as an IHG Rewards Member.
The only negative I have was the elevators were a bit slow, even during low use.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center? Share your experiences!