“Oasis in a Great Little City!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
skatefox
“Oasis in a Great Little City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

For a jaded New Yorker, my recent trip to Sioux Falls, SD was a breath of fresh, cool air, with a side of tumbleweed! Sioux Falls is a midwest city on the rise, with a revitalized downtown that features boutiques, cafes, galleries, and patisseries! There is more outdoor commissioned art in Sioux Falls than I have seen in many major cities! What a surprise to me.

I was there on business, and my hosts booked the Holiday Inn City Center for me. A courtesy van picked me up at the airport. (They run about every twenty minutes) for the five minute ride to the hotel. The courtesy began there. the diver was a friendly as could be, welcoming, and free with the advice about restaurants and attractions.

The hotel itself in not a destination. The lobby is sparse. There is a homey feeling bar and restaurant adjacent to a really lovely indoor pool. This is cowboy country, and I was not disappointed. Cowboy hats and boots dominated, along with an even tempered friendliness not often encountered in my home state.

The room was pristinely clean, up to date, and included a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The bed was comfortable, and the room was kept at a temperate heat level.

I was in town for an affair that was held in the upstairs ballrrom. It was a spacious, circular area with huge glass windows featuring views of the city at night. The star sight was an enormous cathedral that was the focal point of the Sioux Falls lineup. I had my first taste of the hotel fare at the hors d'oevres bar. Wow! Jumbo shrimp, perfectly steamed and iced. Stuffed mushrooms, several other hot appetizers, appetizing cheese platter and fresh fruits. Everything was beautifully presented and good.

At Sunday breakfast the following morning, I thought we were going to eat until someone in the group died! The hotel features a Sunday breakfast buffet,and they hold nothing back. For $12.00, we were offered coffee, pastries, cereals, yogurt, omelettes, the usual. THEN, there was the carving stand with roast prime rib, fresh turkey, and ham. Mashed potatoes, fresh vegetables, and those enormous shrimp again. Did I mention the dessert bar? Ice cream, chocolate mousse, 7 layer cake, cheese cake, and every pie you could think of. And it was all good!

The staff at this hotel are uniformly pleasant and helpful. There are printer stations in the lobby that you can use to print your boarding passes. Everything in the downtown is within easy walking distance. The shuttles run regularly. And the rate was only $89 per night for a double queen room!

Room Tip: Take a room away from the elevators to cut down on noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here two nights on business. First nice surprise was the free shuttle from the airport, runs every 20 minutes to/from hotel. Clean, large room. Complementary wifi worked very well and didn't make me login every 3 hours, which can be a pain. Printer in lobby for my boarding pass. Nice breakfast spread. This hotel is downtown so it's a very easy walk to strip of restaurants and shops. I hadn't stayed at a holiday inn in a long time and my expectations were low. This place surprised me in the best ways, including friendly and attentive staff.

Willmar, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was there recently for an event which was held in the hotel. I was to recognize a young lays at the front desk who was very helpful. I can't remember her name but she had red hair and I believe she was the manager on duty. She got me checked in and recognized me as an IHG Rewards Member.
The only negative I have was the elevators were a bit slow, even during low use.
Would definitely stay again.

Rapid City, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because we were attending a function being held at the hotel. What I liked about the hotel was the central location to many things in Sioux Falls, the comfortable beds and the newness feel of the hotel despite its age. What I didn't like about the room was the front desks willingness to work with us. We received a room by the elevators and asked if we could be moved and the clerk said she wasn't sure because it would be a full hotel that night. Long pause. So I asked her to please check to see if there is a possibility of a room change. She came back on after 10 seconds and said no because the hotel was full. It was 1:30 in the afternoon and I am sure not all guests were checked in and we could have easily been moved. My son made a call to our cell phones and the charge was over $6.00. The only other complaint was the dust in the room. It was in dire need of a dusting (see photo) and the whole room was like the photo. I would stay here for the convenience of the hotel's location but would choose another hotel if going there for a shopping or sporting event.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
While we met some of your expectations it seems clear we did accomodate all of your requests or expectations. Thank you for your feedback and please contact me directly when planning your next visit to Sioux Falls.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with our stay. Although it's obvious the hotel is older, they've done a great job and keeping it feeling fresh and clean. The beds were great. The staff was friendly. The downtown location was great. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PRINCETON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This Holiday Inn is located just off the main street in Sioux Falls. It is walking distance to several good (and very inexpensive) restaurants, which are on a reasonably lively street lined with sculpture. The hotel is also only a short walk from the Falls, which are worth a quick visit. The hotel's concierge floor serves a very nice complimentary breakfast and, in the evenings, complimentary drinks and hors d'oeurves that could substitute for a light dinner. The rooms are excellent.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was at the Holiday Inn for a wedding and was more then pleased!!! The staff at the front desk was wonderful, I was always greeted with a smile! My room was very clean and fresh, the lobby looked newly remodeled with modern updates. Parking was a bit confusing because the hotel was doing some construction on the ramp. I will stay here again anytime I am in Sioux Falls. Loved it!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center? Share your experiences!