“Very nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Agar, South Dakota, United States
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed here for four nights on business and this is a very nice hotel. The front desk was very friendly and the hotel overall had a very nice feel. It is modernly decorated and everything is clean. The beds are quite comfortable as well and rooms even have a good size flat screen. The bathrooms are a little small however this is the ONLY hotel I've ever stayed at that actually has hot (not warm) water when you shower! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank KaiCee C

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the holiday inn on New Year's Eve primarily due to its proximity to the down town area. We usually stay at holiday inn express hotels in Sioux Falls because we always like the continental breakfast but wanted to be closer to the festivities for the new year. I read on line about the Concierge Floor and the private lounge with refreshments and snacks in the evening and a free continental breakfast in morning. I thought this would be a good addition to our night out as well as giving us the continental breakfast that we like so I splurged a little and booked two king rooms on the Concierge Floor via the priority club website using my platinum priority club card. My wife and I as well as another couple were looking forward to having a few drinks and snacks in the private lounge before heading out for the night.

When I checked into our rooms, Shona checked us in. She was not rude but was not was also not as friendly as I have come to expect from staying at Holiday Inn Express. She did not acknowledge me being a platinum member which is usually customary upon check in elsewhere (not a big deal for me, but just different than I am use to). I was also not offered any complimentary upgrades for being platinum which is usually always the case elsewhere and if the don't they will apologize and inform you that they are too booked to provide one. I figured that they were probably booked solid due to the new year so I didn't think much of it. I thought I have a fancy room on a private floor anyway....right. Shona pretty much just took my credit card, gave me my room key and gave me directions to the elevator. She didn't tell me anything about the hotel, restaurant, bar, pool....or anything else, just the elevator. Again, not what i expected but I figured I would just wing it myself and headed to the room.

The hotel, lobby, rooms were on par with what I would expect from the brand and probably nicer than you would expect from an older hotel. The rooms were not huge but were still real nice. No complaints on the hotel itself.

Now since I had not been told squat about what was included on this "special" restricted access floor that I had to pay more for, I figured there would be something in the room that would explain it. Nothing. We walked into the lounge and it was empty. Now I was a little confused. The Internet said there should be food and drinks and when I checked in I was never told anything to the contrary but then again I wasn't told anything. I went to the front desk and asked Shona about the concierge lounge and she informed me that it was closed for the holiday....and that is all she said. I asked her if there was going to be breakfast in it in the morning and she said there wasn't but that they had a full service restaurant. Another front desk attendant overheard and was helpful enough and provided her with a $15 off breakfast card per room in the restaurant to give me. Shona was not very apologetic and actually looked annoyed that I was asking these questions. Nothing was given to make up for the fact the lounge was not open that night and due to how annoyed she looked I did not ask.

Now we all went out and enjoyed Sioux Falls but as the night went on we all started to become more annoyed with the fact that we had to pay extra for a room that in the end was exactly the same as all the other rooms with the only difference being that you have to use your key to get onto the floor. In the morning I decided to go to the front desk and express my frustration with this and as I walked into the lobby, who do I see but Shona again. I walked to the other end of the counter and talked with Stephanie instead. I explained to her my expectations when I booked the room and my disappointment with the lounge being closed. Before she could respond, Shona piped in from the other end of the counter in a snotty tone "but didn't I give you a breakfast voucher?" I explained to Stephanie that Shona had in fact given me them but not until after I had to pry them out of her. Stephanie was very polite and helpful and I really wish she would have helped me at check in. I am sure my whole experience would have been much better. She adjusted my rate to match what was given on the other floors which should have been done at check in or when I questioned the lounge being closed. If this would have been done then, I would have been happy with their accommodation. After having to visit the front desk two additional times, it felt like I had to pry this rate reduction out of them. After having to do this, I felt that they could have went further.

In the end, the hotel was nice but the customer service could use some work. If your special lounge is closed, you should adjust it or note it on the web site or at least at check in. It was almost like they were hoping that I wouldn't notice. Overall this hotel did not live up to what I expect from the brand and I will probably stick to the more reliable holiday inn express for my future stays.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trent H
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
We thank you for your comments and will utilize them to improve staff performance. Over certain holiday dates the concierge level service lounge is not open, but we do accomodate our priority level guests in the restaurant and lobby lounge. I do apologize that this was not properly relayed to you at check in and would ask that you visit us again so that I may make this up to you personally.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family met at this hotel for a weekend get-together. The rooms were clean and the beds were really comfortable. We all had kids wanting to swim and the pool is a long haul from the rooms. There are no bathrooms near pool area so kids had to walk long distances while all wet. The food is expensive, but our kids ate free if they were under 12 so did not break us. There are a lot of nice restaurants and things to see within walking distance. Overall, a nice stay.

Room Tip: Stay in a room 6th floor and above. You get a great view of the city!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Renae J
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you found your accomodations clean and comfortable, but do understand the bathroom proximity to the pool area can be a challenge with younger children. Thank you for the feedback and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

normally stay at hampton/hilton properties but had to entertain clients downtown sioux falls. Pleasantly surprised at the newly updated property. Great rooms, tvs, baths. One of the nicer holiday inns. Highly recommend for Sioux Falls. With in walking distance of active Phillips avenue restaurants, bar, and shops. Great Value in Sioux Falls.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank jamminneapolis
Thank you for commenting on our recent renovations. We strive to keep our facility up to date and are happy we met your expectations. Appreciate you choosing the Holiday Inn City Centre when staying in Sioux Falls.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel has done an upgrade & it is lovely. Beds are wonderful, conducive to a good nights rest. Gym is nice. Location is within walking distance to the quaint downtown. The hotel is convenient to great restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Christie K
We love having you as a customer here at the Holiday Inn City Centre. Thank you for your kind comments.
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed for two nights on business. The check-in process went smoothly, I loved my king room with balcony. The hotel was clean, professional, & quiet, and I slept quite well. There is some train noise during the night, but I believe that's par for the course anywhere in downtown Sioux Falls. Also, after driving several hours and sitting in meetings, I was so happy to discover a fantastic walking & biking trail a few blocks east of the Holiday Inn. The hotel is also within easy walking distance to many restaurants and bars.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank Kristen J
The Holiday Inn City Centre is located adjacent to Falls Park, which has many walking and biking trails. Glad you were able to take advantage of what downtown Sioux Falls has to offer. See you next trip.
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed there two nights, last week. The hotel was recently renovated inside, they did a great job. Staff was friendly and efficient. Let me have a late check out. We got a great rate on hotels.com.
Downfall is there are no mini fridges in room or breakfast.

Room Tip: We ordered room service for breakfast, prices weren't too bad and food was very good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Terrbear1957
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
The renovations have gone well and we will pass on your positive comments about the friendly staff here at the Holiday Inn City Centre. We have increased our inventory of mini-refridgerators that can be placed in guest rooms and we will be glad to make sure you receive one during your next stay.