“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed here one night while a family member was hospitalized. Very clean, quiet rooms, wonderful beds and decent restaurant. Staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

From the welcoming women staffing the front desk to clean, up-to-date room, I am very impressed with this site. HI has not been top of my list ofr a long time but if more are like this property, that will change.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Barrington, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The booking process and follow-ups via email were great - with me receiving at least five from them including a post-survey where I shared my issues. Chose this location due to the proximity to our office, the free shuttle from the airport (no rental car), and a recommendation from someone local (who I will advise as well).

I was picked up from the airport on a Monday night by their free shuttle - sent promptly over. The young man operating / driving was over-the-top pleasant and helpful, including naming and then showing us a nice sports bar nearby. Clean nice van.

Check-in experience was not wonderful, just kind of "blah" - but nothing as bad as others experienced (I was there at the same time "buffy" was there, and their conference was noisy at night). Definitely no smiles and no out of the way help offerred. They did share that the 10th floor was being renovated.

During reservations, they advised me that I was being "upgraded to a king balcony" room. Not what I expected when I got there. Room is small and dated, with a nice office desk and okay television / coffee area. Bathroom is small but has the nice arched out shower curtain. The balcony is very small and looked out on the parking garage / street and indoor swimming area - and unfortunately right over the area where employees go outside to smoke and eat their meals. The heating / cooling was fine (I needed both during some oddball September weather) with a newer thermostat. Room was not tremendously clean - one long black hair in the shower was left. Be aware that the airport is very close by, and the balcony sliding door does not do a great job of blocking noise - but you are in Sioux Falls and there are maybe five flights at night (not a big deal).

The room service food was Fantastic for the price, and very promptly delivered. Kudos to the chef and delivery team.

Location is wonderful, and the downtown area is very walkable even at night. Some very nice lunch restaurants are maybe three blocks up the street - I'll try to find them and rate them here. Good sports bar is about a block and a half away - great apps and lots of tv's.

One note for families - if you want to use the smallish indoor pool or sauna, you have to walk by the very active bar / restaurant area. I can't see my family ever doing that, given how uncomfortable it might make them.

I will try a different property when next in Sioux Falls.

Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed at this property from Saturday, September 17th-Tuesday, September 20th, for a conference. My first impression of the lobby and exterior of the building was that it was very nice. The room was on the small side, but very clean. The bathroom was pretty small. As the trip progressed, I saw many good things, but also many things that definitely weigh in on the con side. I rarely write a bad review of a property because I have had pretty good luck and I also am fairly tolerant about things. But if you are going to stay here, you need to know what you might be in for.

Pros:
CONFERENCE FACILITIES- these were very nice, very clean, and the staff working in this area is to be commended. Great job. The room on the 10th floor is especially beautiful.
FOOD - This place has some of the best food I have ever had at a hotel/conference. I can say with all honesty that there was no food item I had that didn't taste wonderful. Great coffee too.
HOUSEKEEPING - They keep the rooms clean, but there is a con, which you will see later. Custodial staff that cleans the restrooms in the conference areas of the hotel, wonderful job. I saw them in the restrooms multiple times, stocking paper towels, toilet paper, etc.
LOCATION - it is in the downtown area, near lots of unique shops and restaurants. We only found one bar open on Sunday and 2 on Monday, so be prepared for that. Both were very nice though.
FREE PARKING AND WI-FI - they have a small surface lot and a 2 level garage. The 2nd level of the garage stayed fairly empty during our stay. Free wi-fi, and it was quick and easy to access it.

Cons
FRONT DESK STAFF - other then the intial check in, the front desk staff was terrible. I have stayed at a lot of hotels, and worked in one myself, and the level of rudeness and "I just don't give a crap" attitude was ridiculous. Our keys to our room and also to the hospitality room that we were in charge of had to be re-keyed multiple times and I did not have them near any cell phones, credit cards, etc. The first time I needed to have it re-keyed, I was waiting behind one person. When they were done, the lady at the front desk asked what I wanted, and I said I needed my key recharged. She said "wait a minute," and went to help the pilots that had just arrive to stay. At this point, I was not irritated or upset or anything. After them, she proceeded to ignore me and help three other people then finally looked at me and said "did you need something?" I told her again I needed my key recharged and then she ignored my request and went to help someone else AGAIN. At this point, I was getting irritated. It is unacceptable to continue to ignore someone. I realize she was busy, and I initially gave her the benefit of the doubt, but that was just rude. A second lady showed up and she fixed my key in about ten seconds, so obviously it wasn't that hard.
We were also to have 2 comped rooms because of the amount of people we had staying there. Our president verified everything with the front desk on Monday night and was assured people in the comped rooms would not be charged. Come Tuesday morning, those people received their bill and were charged the full amount. So our president had to go back and get it fixed once again. I don't know if this place just has poor management or if they just need to get rid of some employees. They definitely need to do SOMETHING.
HOUSEKEEPING - Housekeeping would knock on your door, even if there was a "Do not Disturb sign" on it. The entered our hospitality suite after the first night and proceeded take everything out in the hallway to throw out, and didn't believe us when we told them we had it for 2 nights. After another fiasco of contact with the front desk (by a co-worker), the problem was "fixed." The next day, we put up the "do not disturb" signs so we'd have time to clean it between our workshop sessions. At 9am, my co-worker went up to clean the room out and the housekeeping staff was in there again, leaving stuff in the hallway. I don't know if they do this of their own accord or if it comes from management, but it is bad enough to go in a room when they have the "do not disturb" sign up, but to start emptying it out, is not acceptable. We had crock pots, food in the fridge, drinks, coolers, etc, so I think it would be fairly obvious that we had NOT checked out yet and they should have just left it and come back later. To have this happen once is a mistake, twice makes it a problem.

The bottom line: would I stay here again? If it was for a conference, yes. If I was traveling with my family, most definitely NO. Cleanliness and great food does not make up for front desk staff that does not care. They have a great property for a conference and a prime location and they should care about how their clientele is treated. They should care if someone has to keep getting new keys. They should take pride in doing their job right: the custodial staff does, why not the front desk? If they do not fix these problems, they will start to lose business. There is good reason this hotel is not ranked higher in the Sioux Falls area, but it could be with some work. Do it.

On a side note, ladies keep track of your purse. A friend at the conference got her purse taken while she was paying for something at the bar. This was about 7:30 at night. Her purse was later found by security on a bench outside the hotel. Her cash was missing (only $12) but luckily all credit cards and her phone were there. Just be aware that you are downtown, and there can be some sketchy people hanging around. Just hang on to those purses. I must reiterate that I do not blame this on the hotel.

Room Tip: Get one of their suites. You will like the extra room.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE! I have just returned from 6 horrible days at the worst hotel in the Midwest. Please read the other reviews and see how awful this hotel is and why you should not stay here.
This hotel was booked for business not leisure. As a Gold Priority Club member I was not offered any upgrade or any special treatment as expected by reading other reviews.
I'll start with the little things before I get to the out of control parties and the police calls.
When I got in the room it was very hot and the thermostat did not control it and it looked broken. Maintenance came to look at it and said it wasn't broken, it was MELTED (see photo) and that after the "remodel" several did that but they still work. He then told me that you only have a 3 degree control and the operations controls whether you get heat or cool but NOT BOTH. You have to open your outside door with no screen to cool the room! It was hot all week.
My lamp did not work the entire time. I had a note on it one day and housekeeping put it back. I then put it in the middle of the bed and housekeeping put it back and never fixed it. It was still broken when I left this morning.
The manager of this property keeps answering all the complaints about this hotel and claims there was a multi-million dollar make over. He needs to sue or get a refund. It's completely cosmetic and nothing else. This hotel should have been torn down and rebuilt.
When I rolled my desk chair back the carpet rolled up and made "waves" across the room. (See photo)
Now here's yet another reason to cancel your reservation or just not make one. This hotel books multiple weddings on the weekend. On Friday there were two. There were parties on every floor and out of control but just my luck I had a huge one in the next room that started about 2AM. I called the front desk and she told me they were all ready working on it. Because the walls are paper thin I heard EVERYTHING. The Security Guard just pampered this group and kept asking them to be quiet. Finally an hour later he told them to get out but still let the original guests keep the room. Any other hotel would have thrown them out of the hotel on the second call. This went on for over two hours. The police showed up with sirens blaring at one point. I was on a no smoking floor and the party room was on the balcony screaming and smoking!
Only stay here if you intend to be up all night and want to party out of control. Do not stay here if you are on business....ever.
I was never apologized to, never offered a thing for being up since 2AM. Nothing. In the morning I demanded they remove the room charge for that night so the company that brought me in would not have to pay. Yet they never offered and they never offered to do anything personal.
Now I do have to say a positive. I read the staff was rude but I never encountered this. Then the restaurant had some of the best food I've eaten in Sioux Falls. That's all I have nice to say.
Again, I travel twice a week and would never consider staying in this hell hole again.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are good. Run from this hotel.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Booked a room for a wedding for rooms that were blocked off. I called to confirm my room the week before I arrived and they did not have my information in their system which I still had my confirmation printed off in front of me while on the phone. They refused to grant me the discount for the wedding and made me pay full price. STAY AWAY from booking a room here. They are all about making a buck and do nothing as far as customer service or retaining customers even when it was there fault for losing my information. COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL

Room Tip: Don't even bother with this place
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

you have the choice of 2 hotels in sioux falls, here and country inn and suites. i didn't stay at the latter, but i given the choice i would def check it out. the hotel is definitely outdated. it does have a good location and ammenities (pool, hot tub, sauna, fitness center, restaurant, room service, airport shuttle). the rooms itself are old. our shower faucet didn't convert to the tub very easily, and there were coffee cup lids but no coffee cups in room. this might seem trivial but for the cost...about $135, you would expect a little more attention to detail. there was also a foul odor in room. anyhow, i give it an average rating. also, theres a meat packing plant nearby. travel to sioux falls....if you dare!

Room Tip: ask to come back when renovations are over
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center? Share your experiences!