“Good, Bad, Ugly” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 49 hotels in Sioux Falls
Scottsdale
“Good, Bad, Ugly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Good: Walk across the street to Perkins restaurant; easy access to I-29; drive across the freeway bridge to Empire Mall and many restaurants; recliner, fridge & microwave in my upgraded queen room. Friendly, professional staff. Breakfast was standard fare plus make-your-own waffles. Only Raisin Bran and Froot Loops for cereal (how about some unsugared corn flakes???). Good ice machine and good water pressure in shower (but see Ugly below). Wi-Fi signal/speed was okay in my room fairly close to the front desk. Don’t know about signal in end rooms.

The Bad: My “upgraded” single queen room was rather small. Some of the towels (including all my bath towels) are getting threadbare and scratchy. The carpet was damp.

The Ugly: There was a pink substance growing on the shower head. I assume it was some sort of fungus, although not the flesh-eating kind since all my flesh is still intact.

For a longer stay I would go someplace else, but for one night and a good price, it’s okay.

Room Tip: The front desk clerk said the rooms with two beds are much larger. My single queen was very small.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear BJDealer

Thank you for staying with the Days Inn Empire in Sioux Falls, SD. I am sorry to hear that you found a pink substance on your shower head. I will be sure to let my maintenance man know about this so that he can go through every room to ensure we get this issue resolved. I also do apologize that the towels were scratchy. We just received 5 dozen new bath towels and 10 dozen new hand towels. I will be sure to have housekeeping go through and pull out the bad towels that we may have. I am glad that you enjoyed the recliner, microwave, refrigerator, and water pressure in the shower. I will take your comments into consideration in regards to the cereal and see if we can find some corn flakes or some sort on non-sugar cereal.

Thank you again for your comments and suggestions. I once again do apologize for the pink substance on you shower head but I do appreciate you letting me know so that we can get this issue resolved.

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The check-in went very well. The person behind the desk was very friendly and efficient. She was also very helpful in directing me to a nearby mall to make a needed purchase. The motel is located in a nice neighborhood - taking a wlk with my coffee in the morning I saw a number of people out walking their dogs or jogging. The continental breakfast was adequate. The only downside to staying here was that the carpeting in our room was in real need of being cleaned. Walking on it in bare feet caused our feet to be blackened. This may have been due to a shortage of help since I saw a sign in their window advertising for cleaning personnel.

Room Tip: This is a quiet motel. Our room was on the first floor near the lobby and we weren't disturbed a...
Dear Jay1994_11

Thank you for staying with the Days Inn Empire in Sioux Falls, SD. I am glad that your check-in went smooth and my staff was helpful and friendly. We take a great deal of pride in providing great customer service and clean accommodations. I am sorry to hear that your carpet was dirty. We have a gentleman that comes in on a monthly basis to clean carpets, so I will make sure to let him know that we have received a complaint. Would you please let me know what room you stayed in, so that we can ensure we get this room cleaned properly?

Thank you once again for staying with us and I do apologize for the carpet being dirty. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide accommodations to you if you are ever Sioux Falls again.

Armour, South Dakota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Internite site advertised rooms starting at $69.00. We were charged $87.00. When I asked about the cheaper room, was told they were all taken. Our room was small, with 1 Queen bed. After we brought in our luggage we had very little room to move about. How much smaller would the $69.00 room be? The room smelled of cigarette smoke. When I turned back the bed spread there was a large brown smear on it, so I didn't want to use it. When the A/C kicked on it got very cold and noisy in the room and I woke up every time it kicked on. When it wasn't running the room became warm and stuffy, and the smell of cigarette smoke was worse. My daughter and I got very little sleep that night. When I checked out, I mentioned the smell of cigarette smoke and the desk clerk acted at thought this was the first time they had received that complaint. Maybe the hotel manager should read a few of these reviews. When I checked out I noticed that I was charged for the use of the safe, which I didn't. I really wished I had spent an additional $20 and got a better hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Karen C.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with the Days Inn Empire. Please contact me to discuss your stay, so that I can try to make this right with you. I am not sure about the rate issue with the internet, but I can definitely remove the safe charge from your bill, but I need to here from you so that I can find your bill and get that safe charge removed.

Please contact me at 605-361-9240.

Once again, I do apologize for your stay and look forward to speaking with you and trying to resolve some of the issues that you had.

Mankato
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Rooms are very clean, staff are helpful, good breakfast, quiet, conveniently located to mall, restaurants, & freeway. We stay there each time we are in Sioux Falls to help out with my husband's parents. Has gotten to feel like home away from home.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear SiverMankato

Thank you for staying with the Days Inn Empire in Sioux Falls, SD. I am pleased to hear that you consider this to be you home away from home while in Sioux Falls. I hope that you will continue to stay with us and recommend us to anyone you know that is coming to Sioux Falls.

Thank you again for your business and for taking the time to post these comments about our hotel.

Thanks

SoCal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed one night with our dog in July 2012. Place smelled kind of smoky, even in the lobby. No elevator, which isn't great if you have a few things to bring upstairs to a 2nd floor room. Front desk was efficient, but failed to point out a "safe charge" when having me sign the paperwork during check in. I saw it on the itemized list of charges during check out, and the girl at that time offered to remove it when I questioned it. Apparently, if you don't tell them to take it out, they leave a personal sized safe in your room. I'm glad she offered to take it off the charges, but I wonder how many people don't notice it and don't use it but are charged for it unknowingly. Room seemed clean and smelled okay. It had plenty of room for our dog's portable kennel and our luggage, but the bathroom was very small and the property seemed pretty old. The door to the bathroom was dark hollow wood, like the stuff we had in our tract house 40 years ago. It was next door (across the street) to a Perkins restaurant, which was very convenient. The breakfast was adequate, and my son was pleased with the make-your-own waffle station. It was a decent stay, but we would probably look elsewhere if we were in Sioux Falls again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Hate2FlyButDoAnyway

Thank you for staying with the Days Inn Empire in Sioux Falls, SD. I am sorry that you encountered a smoke smell in the hotel. We have been trying to find a way to eliminate the smoke smell without having to eliminate all of the smoking rooms but looks like we will need to transition to a smoke free hotel this fall. I am sorry that we do not have an elevator but this building was built in 1977 and it would be tough to incorporate an elevator at this time. I agree that the bathrooms are small and that also goes back to the age of the building. I appreciate your comments in regards to the safe and the charges associated with it. We do list the charge on the registration card and we will always remove the fee if we are told at checkout. The fee is an insurance policy from Safemark which is meant to cover up to $10,000 if the safe is forcefully broken into and your personal items are stolen. I am glad to hear that your son enjoyed breakfast. We have been working at adding items to the breakfast so that our guests are more satisfied with what we offer. I am sorry to hear that you would not give us another chance the next time you are in Sioux Falls.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I made the mistake of listening to the good reviews for this hotel. Makes no sense.....this place is a dump.the room barely had walking room in it by the time you get your luggage in it.rooms are tiny! Good news.....the annoying odor wont be as noticeable after you have been in the room for a while. The front desk really didn't care about the odor and offered to bring us some spray instead of putting us into another room. The shower and toilet were clean...I was glad for that. If you decide to stay here you will need to bring some shoes to wear so the sticky disgusting feel of the carpet doesn't get on your feet. Also, be sure you pack light.......hauling things up the stairs isn't fun......we didn't see an elevator anywhere near us and we were not on the first floor. I paid over $110 for this dump room. I would not do it again. In fact, we experienced such a huge discrepancy in quality with Days Inn, it will be unlikely I choose Days Inn without some serious consideration. This is a crappy choice for a hotel and a waste of money. I will also never trust trip advisor reviews alone again ........bad advice on this one. The best advice was titled " keep driving", which I sadly ignored.

• Stayed August 2012
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Ccc9958

I am very sorry that you found my property to be a waste of your money. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you. Would you please get in touch with me so that I can try to make this right with you? My number is 605-361-9240.

Once again, I do apologize for the issues you encountered and hope that you will give me a call to discuss your stay.

Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We found we got more for what we payed for than most other places we have stayed at (refrigerator, microwave, safe). Room was clean and quiet and breakfast offered was very good. Staff very friendly and courteous. Good location off interstate. Good value for the money.

Dear Paul B.

Thank you for staying at the Days Inn Empire in Sioux Falls, SD. I am glad that you enjoyed the refrigerator, microwave, and safe that all of our rooms come equipped with. I am also glad to hear that you found your room to be clean and my staff members friendly. I appreciate you taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor and hope that you will refer any family or friends to stay with us if they are coming to Sioux Falls, SD.

mbrunick@kinseth.com

Been to Days Inn Empire? Share your experiences!