“Nice enough” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
SoCal
“Nice enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed one night with our dog in July 2012. Place smelled kind of smoky, even in the lobby. No elevator, which isn't great if you have a few things to bring upstairs to a 2nd floor room. Front desk was efficient, but failed to point out a "safe charge" when having me sign the paperwork during check in. I saw it on the itemized list of charges during check out, and the girl at that time offered to remove it when I questioned it. Apparently, if you don't tell them to take it out, they leave a personal sized safe in your room. I'm glad she offered to take it off the charges, but I wonder how many people don't notice it and don't use it but are charged for it unknowingly. Room seemed clean and smelled okay. It had plenty of room for our dog's portable kennel and our luggage, but the bathroom was very small and the property seemed pretty old. The door to the bathroom was dark hollow wood, like the stuff we had in our tract house 40 years ago. It was next door (across the street) to a Perkins restaurant, which was very convenient. The breakfast was adequate, and my son was pleased with the make-your-own waffle station. It was a decent stay, but we would probably look elsewhere if we were in Sioux Falls again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Hate2FlyButDoAnyway

Thank you for staying with the Days Inn Empire in Sioux Falls, SD. I am sorry that you encountered a smoke smell in the hotel. We have been trying to find a way to eliminate the smoke smell without having to eliminate all of the smoking rooms but looks like we will need to transition to a smoke free hotel this fall. I am sorry that we do not have an elevator but this building was built in 1977 and it would be tough to incorporate an elevator at this time. I agree that the bathrooms are small and that also goes back to the age of the building. I appreciate your comments in regards to the safe and the charges associated with it. We do list the charge on the registration card and we will always remove the fee if we are told at checkout. The fee is an insurance policy from Safemark which is meant to cover up to $10,000 if the safe is forcefully broken into and your personal items are stolen. I am glad to hear that your son enjoyed breakfast. We have been working at adding items to the breakfast so that our guests are more satisfied with what we offer. I am sorry to hear that you would not give us another chance the next time you are in Sioux Falls.

mbrunick@kinseth.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I made the mistake of listening to the good reviews for this hotel. Makes no sense.....this place is a dump.the room barely had walking room in it by the time you get your luggage in it.rooms are tiny! Good news.....the annoying odor wont be as noticeable after you have been in the room for a while. The front desk really didn't care about the odor and offered to bring us some spray instead of putting us into another room. The shower and toilet were clean...I was glad for that. If you decide to stay here you will need to bring some shoes to wear so the sticky disgusting feel of the carpet doesn't get on your feet. Also, be sure you pack light.......hauling things up the stairs isn't fun......we didn't see an elevator anywhere near us and we were not on the first floor. I paid over $110 for this dump room. I would not do it again. In fact, we experienced such a huge discrepancy in quality with Days Inn, it will be unlikely I choose Days Inn without some serious consideration. This is a crappy choice for a hotel and a waste of money. I will also never trust trip advisor reviews alone again ........bad advice on this one. The best advice was titled " keep driving", which I sadly ignored.

• Stayed August 2012
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Ccc9958

I am very sorry that you found my property to be a waste of your money. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you. Would you please get in touch with me so that I can try to make this right with you? My number is 605-361-9240.

Once again, I do apologize for the issues you encountered and hope that you will give me a call to discuss your stay.

Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We found we got more for what we payed for than most other places we have stayed at (refrigerator, microwave, safe). Room was clean and quiet and breakfast offered was very good. Staff very friendly and courteous. Good location off interstate. Good value for the money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Paul B.

Thank you for staying at the Days Inn Empire in Sioux Falls, SD. I am glad that you enjoyed the refrigerator, microwave, and safe that all of our rooms come equipped with. I am also glad to hear that you found your room to be clean and my staff members friendly. I appreciate you taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor and hope that you will refer any family or friends to stay with us if they are coming to Sioux Falls, SD.

Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I travel with my large dog, so finding spots
Can be a tad more challenging. Overall, I've found Days Inns to be some of the best in terms of balance between value and quality. This property in Sioux Falls is a prime example. It's located right off the highway, which is great if, like me, you're passing through. It'a close to restaurants, pet food stores, even a mall! When you're on the road all day these thing matter.

When I got there, the girl at the front desk changed my room for me- why? There was a bigger one farther from smoking rooms and closer to the door for my dog. This may seem like a silly small thing, but it made me feel that I mattered, rather than being a dollar sign for them.

The room itself was spotless and even had a lovely lazy-boy type recliner. The breakfast was ample and fresh.

I highly recommend this spot, and will definitely stay here again if even in Sioux falls!

• Stayed July 2012
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Jasperspoo

Thank you for staying with the Days Inn Empire in Sioux Falls, SD. I am glad that you found our Days Inn to be spotless and you enjoyed the recliner in the room. It is always great to hear when we are doing things correctly. If you ever hear of anyone coming to Sioux Falls, SD, please let them know about the Days Inn Empire.

3401 Gateway Blvd.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

In one word, disgusting! The rooms were old, smelly and dirty! Breakfast was ok, I've had worse. I was up at 6 am and ready to get out of there as fast as possible. My husband will not let us stay at another Days Inn because of this experience. My son referred to it as the "hobo hotel"!

• Stayed July 2012
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear BethJay

I want to aplogize for you recent stay with the Days Inn Empire. I am sorry that you found the rooms to be old, smelly, and dirty. Would you please give me a call to discuss your stay, so that I can make it right with you? You can reach me at 605-361-9240.

Once again, my aplogies

Winner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Was in town to visit my kids and do some shopping. I have stayed at this Days Inn several times in the past. Staff is very friendly and helpful with accomodations. One of the few hotels that will allow pets and they allow a room for easy access. Beds are comfortable, breakfast offers good choices and room was clean and comfortable. Would recommend this hotel to anyone and would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on south end are quieter, beds are comfortable, rooms are clean. Good continental breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
MattBrunick, General Manager at Days Inn Empire, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Ann B

Thank you for staying with the Sioux Falls Days Inn Empire once again. I hope your shopping trip was successful. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your pet and also a room that was near an entrance. Thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was in town for work. Stay at Days Inn regularly in other areas and I can say that this is the best Days Inn I have stayed at. Property is not your "typical" Days Inn design. Staff was very friendly and efficient!! Fastest Internet of any hotel I have used for work. Great location. It's not a new property but rooms were clean and larger than normal. However, my favorite part of my stay was how quiet it was. There were about 12-15 cars in the parking lot and I saw people around the lobby and hallways BUT......not a sound while I was in my room. Can't begin to tell you how important that is when you are on the road and just want a good night's rest. I will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mark Y

Thank you for staying with the Sioux Falls Days Inn Empire during your last visit to Sioux Falls. What an honor it is to hear that we are the BEST Days Inn that you have stayed at during your business travels. I will be sure to pass your comments on to my staff members. We do have a fairly quiet hotel due to the concrete block construction and the concrete slab flooring between the second and first floors.

Would you please recommend our property if you hear of anyone coming to Sioux Falls, SD? Thank you once again for your business and any referrals you can send our way.

3401 Gateway Blvd.
mbrunick@kinseth.com

Been to Days Inn Empire? Share your experiences!