“Don't swim in the pools!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Myrtle Beach, SC
“Don't swim in the pools!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had a large group of us and 9 of the kids ended up with a rash. One of our group works at a place with a pool and has seen outbreaks like this before when the Ph levels aren't right in the pool. We went to the front desk to report the problem and were told we were the 4th group to report such problems. The hotel did NOTHING except deny anything was wrong. They blamed it on our kids rubbing on the bottom of the pool! I work in customer service and I have never been so appalled. Our group will never go back and neither should you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for your comments; I am very sorry your group got a rash. Our pool chemicals are all automated really helping us manage the water safely. On a rare occasion there will be an issue and I assure you it is addressed immediately. Our pool pump rooms are behind the scenes; not 'seeing' anyone does not mean it wasn't being addressed. IF there is ever an issue where safety is an issue the pool(s) are shut down.

I do hope we will have an opportunity to turn this negative into a positive on a return visit.

Respectfully,

Jan Grunewaldt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sioux Falls, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Took the poolside room. It was exteremely noisy. Absolutely no sound insulation at all. The pool is a mini theme park, and is open till 11 PM, so imagine the noise! Also, they do not offer complimentary breakfast or anything, so that's a bummer.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments; the pool area is an attraction to be sure and full of kids and families having fun, it does get noisy. It usually quiets down right away after it closes though.

We are a full service hotel so I apologize you were disappointed there was not a complimentary breakfast available. We've worked hard to keep our menu prices very affordable, and coffee is on us in the morning! As well, we have complimentary coffee and whole fresh fruit in the lobby.

We have numerous room choices should you return, and can keep you away from the pool.

Charlottesville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

No additional pet fee and our room had a door directly to the outside making it a breeze to let our dogs out to go to the bathroom. Very thoughtful from the manager/ownership to have this for pet rooms and would definitely stay there again because of this.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your comments, and so glad you all enjoyed your stay. Soon the weather will be better, just 2 short blocks from us is a wonderful bike path for great safe walking. Hope to see you again soon!

Burnsville, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Terrific facility!! It's Large but laid out in such a way that it's not overwhelming- very easy to find where you are going. Terrific, friendly staff. Beds were super comfy - I slept well both nights.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you so much for your nice comments; we're so glad you were able to do your business and relax and enjoy your stay as well. Perfect!

Hope to see you again soon-

Happy New Year!

Faulkton, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I will NEVER stay here again. I had booked my room online (a 2-room suite with 3 beds). When we arrived, my husband checked in and we went to the room, only to find that we were in the wrong suite (we were given a 2 room suite with 1 bed and 1 couch). I went to the front desk to explain the situation and to show her my confirmation email and she said that our reservation had been changed that morning and there was nothing that she could do. I received no notification, even though my phone number and email were both on the reservation. First she told me that the room was overbooked so we were moved, and then she told me that it was closed for maintenance. I wonder which one was true? I was persistent that they move us to the correct room since I had a confirmation and I needed 3 beds for my family. I was told that there were air mattresses available. To me, that is NOT the same thing as sleeping in a bed. I expressed my frustration and disgust about not being notified about the change in our reservation and she offered me breakfast coupons to "make me feel better." Since they were "full" we had no other options. (But, even though they were "full", a gentleman in front of me was able to book a room...)

The room was dirty and cold. The loud heater couldn't keep up with the drafty windows. I had to bundle up my baby to put her to sleep because the room was so cold and the only place to put her pack & play was in front of the drafty window. The room door had about a 1-inch gap on the top and bottom of the door so I had to put a towel down to block out (some of) the noise. I could hear every door slam and person walking down the hall. The carpet was so dirty that I didn't want my toddler to walk on it. The bathroom floor was gross and obviously hadn't been scrubbed because there was hair all over when we checked in. The TV remote didn't work. The bathroom was small. The bathroom sink has more water pressure than the shower does.

The only good part about our stay was the food in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet is great and the coffee is very good.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for reaching out to us again in reference to your experience. As noted we regret very much that a maintenance issue negated us from selling you your requested room type. We genuinely thought the call back to make sure you were comfortable and adjusting your room and tax 30 minutes into your stay was to your satisfaction.

I really hope we'll have an opportunity in the future to turn this negative experience into a positive one.

Respectfully,

United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have stayed here many times. this is a nice hotel with great amenities. close to the airport. nice waterpark for the kids. the rooms are nice, but are older. good parking and fantastic restaurant/lounge.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you so much for the nice comments; it's true we are an older hotel but so proud our ownership believes in reinvesting in their product so we can sell with pride. We do nice improvements every year! Thank you so much for your loyalty - we appreciate it so much!

Happy New Year!

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed here on a short business trip and found it just fine. Since it was out of the main downtown area it was nice there was a restaurant and a bar on property. The room was typical Best Western and was fine.

The pool/waterpark was nice and in future I would bring the kids if they aren't in school. The only real issue with it was that lap swimming was minimal since most of the area was for play. The hot tub was great though. I expected the area to be full of families but it actually wasn't and it was relaxing.

The hotel shuttle not only took me to and from the airport but they also took us into town for dinner and picked us back up which was nice. Tyler, the bellman who drove the shuttle every time I used it, was a great resource for information and a fun person to talk to.

The only real issue was the rattling of the heating vent every time it turned on. It was really loud and woke me up several times a night.

The bacon at breakfast made up for it though. Best cooked bacon I've had in a long time!

I would stay here again. Not fancy but nice, comfortable, staff was friendly and it had everything I needed.

Room Tip: If the pool is important to you, there are rooms that open right into the pool area that you could a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful, detailed comments. We appreciate them so much. We have an incentive program for our associates in which the highest denomination earned is if a guest uses their name in a positive way.........thank you on behalf of Tyler!

Happy Holidays,

Jan and Team

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel? Share your experiences!